Cold and unsafe

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Oct 11, 2019 at 10:56 AM.

1. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a question about heated gear that's attached to my 1250 so theoretically it's ok in this forum.
    I bought W&S Heated jacket with the remote, wireless controller a couple years back, from arather whimsical local dealer.
    It was a blessing to turn on the heat, but not any more, now its full blast even if it's turned off, ie both channels on the remote are in the off position and it's still heating, drawing 5 amps.
    I wrote to W&S and got a very strange answer but no help.
    So now it's up to you , fellows in blue and white.
    What could cause this?
  2. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have it all connected correctly?
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. slipperyeel

slipperyeel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the battery like inside the remote controller? Has the controller suffered any heavy knocks?

Just wondering if the PCB inside has screwed up?
  5. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    PCB, please enlighten me ;-) i did have an issue a few months back when the"switch box" was connected to the battery and i
    ended up with a flat battery, a thing that was not supposed to be possible.
  6. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Have you read the directions? Could it be in failsafe mode?

5. Now Connect the Red Plug from the Receiver to the Battery Harness or DC power Source. AS A SAFeTY
    FEATURE, every time the Receiver is plugged to power, it will turn on to 1/3 power until
    you turn the Remote control on. Once the Remote is turned on, the Receiver is now controlled by the
    Remote. So if you want no heat, turn the Remote Control to Off.
  7. tzracer

tzracer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    PCB = Printed Circuit Board
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know, it has worked fine on all the bikes I have installed it on. Obviously the controller failed.
  9. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks
  10. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Warm and Safe wireless controllers default to 1/3 power every time they are powered up. Only way to turn them off is to turn on the heat channel and then turn it off. Warm and Safe touts this as a benefit so you can have heat if your transmitter batteries go bad or you lose your transmitter. I don't care for this feature at all and it took me a while to figure out it was cooking my ass.

I have the two channel wireless controllers on my bikes. One channel for my heated jacket and the other for my heated Sargent seat. It took me over a year to figure out that my cooked ass wasn't being caused by the "heat issue" on my '15 GSA but rather the seat being at 1/3rd heat on a hot summer day.

So I can't leave my seat plugged in when I don't want the heat or I have to have the transmitter on the bike and turn it off and then back on each time I start the bike.

I've been meaning to call Warm and Safe and see if there is wire I can cut to disable this feature or if their new transmitters still have this feature.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  11. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Curious what was the strange answer W n S gave you?

I have wired heat troller bought in 2015 I pulled off my 2016 GSA when I sold it, I no longer use i. I originally went with the wired type since I was not sure I wanted to worry about the button batteries going out during a trip.

I replaced it with the new wireless controller for simplicity, no wires to connect and now uses standard AAA battery which are generally easier to find (and I think are cheaper) than the button batteries.

Before you s**t can the controller try resynchronizing with the receiver.

You can find instrux on the W n S site but it's easy-

unplug receiver (in the jacket or whatever) from the bike.
    Turn controller on, after red light on controller blinks, turn it off. repeat 2 more times, will get double blinking red light.
    plug on receiver WITHIN 10 SECONDS and they should pair up automatically.

Once they are paired, if you turn on the controller with the jacket (or whatever) connected, the controller light will blink 3 times to indicate it is paired and detecting the receiver.

If this doesn't work then as was suggested above the controller (or the receiver) is bad.

Warm n Safe has a 3 year free repair or replace warranty as long as you have not cut or modified anything.

They do sell the controllers separately (under Replacement and Upgrade section) for 40 and 60 bucks for single and dual wireless remote respectively.

I'm guessing you could send in both to W n S so they could see which is malfunctioning, or if money is not a big deal just order replacement heat-troller and sync it to your jacket.

TR
  12. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    I am fairly sure that you cannot change this.

It's not the transmitter, it's the receiver in the jacket (or seat) that goes to 30% when connected to power IF it does not receive a signal from the heat-troller.

I knew this was a feature but I have not noticed it much, I only wear the jacket when it's cold, in which case I am using the controller from the get go so it's not an issue.

I can understand the seat issue!

Sounds like you are already doing what I'd recommend, leaving seat unplugged in warm weather. or cycle heat-troller on and off when you start out.

TR