Cold day low 30s F

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ctfz1, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:22 PM.

1. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    Ran errands this afternoon on the motorcycle. Burned about a gallon and a half of gas.
    Motorcycle seriously likes cold dense air. So did the suspension, may need adjustment come warm weather.
    Chose just enough of the right riding gear.
    Ride felt perfect. Bike felt right.
    And here I've been trying to avoid near freezing weather. Silly me.
    bobw, Oldschoolrocker and 9Realms like this.
  2. tireatr

tireatr Let's go for a ride

Oddometer:
    Bikes do seem to run better in the cold air. Do be wary of lessening tire grip though....
    bobw likes this.
  3. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    We are talking above freezing. Tires seem to be fine . No, not looking to challenge physics though, just gentle riding, smell the flowers so to speak.
    bobw likes this.
  4. 1stgenfarmboy

1stgenfarmboy The Sherpa Man

Oddometer:
    I ride every single day to work, barring ice....this week had a morning at 16*f.

With a very good 1st gear Kilimanjaro coat, and some 80$ snowmobile bibs, 40$ waterproof leather elchepo gloves Oxford heated grips, under armor hood under a Schuberth helmet, I think I could ride for an hour maybe a little more with the temps in the mid teens, but in the 30's it's a good temp to ride.
    bobw likes this.
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Depending on the tire, some take a few miles more to "warm up" than others and then add a bit of hoar frost and/or black ice and it's a good caution to keep in the back of ones mind. In the teens as posted above is definitely worthy of proper gear, but anything in the 30s-40's is pretty comfy for a coffee run or smelling the roes as you put it. I'm happy that most Winters in the foothills we only have a few weeks here and there that I'm not able to get out and that's mostly because plowing is minimal. The snow and ice then takes days of melting and refreezing to finally clear the pavement and the pace is at the whim of Mother Nature sharing some BTUs.

Cheers