Cold, Wet, and Nekked

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by HickOnACrick, Jun 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    The only road closures we experienced were in PA. due to bridge closures.
  2. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    We are awakened often and violently by the storm that passes through in the night. The next morning, and the trip's theme continues; wet, wet and more wet, with a side of humid.

The sun shrouded by clouds the next morning, I scamper, head down, nekked to keep my sleeping clothes dry, to and from the bike, so I can make coffee. The world looks grim and bleak until coffee has crossed my lips. The first sip like a kiss from my wife after weeks separated by distance.

[​IMG]

We are somewhere, on some mountain, in middle Pennsylvania, amidst the clouds. Breakfast is a handful of gummy worms. My riding gear, left out to dry in the evening's sun and breeze, are sodden; taxes paid to the storm. We gear up under the rainflies, then break camp; paying special attention to keeping our sleeping gear dry.

[​IMG]

The night's promise of an exquisite experience, like a hangover...when the sun reveals the sultry truth. We ride, we just ride. Neither need to speak the feeling we have. Our interest in each other fueled by our love of moto travel, our marriage occurring out of panniers, our escapes on two wheels over the years together. Without complaining, we embrace the suck, knowing it is our time together. We sense each other's needs, and I stop for a break.

[​IMG]

Deer, vultures, hawks, and even a fox cross our path. Late morning and the skies lighten from lead to pewter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soon we are in the rolling hills, signs depicting horse-drawn carriages as common as signs designating the speed limit. The afternoon finds us baking inside our clothes as we reach a sign that shackles our buzz.

[​IMG]

Re-route...re-re-route, we go in a circle, finally ending up near a 4-lane highway. The only thing we hate worse than interstates is a 4-lane highway.

Late afternoon. A business obligation for me the next morning necessitates cell phone service. We are obligated to stay near a town, in a hotel; the second and last of our trip.
    B10Dave, Allucaneat, wilfred and 3 others like this.
  3. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you post up, was wondering if you're broken down in the middle of nowhere cold, wet, nekkid and afraid:lol3
    HickOnACrick likes this.
  4. chudzikb

chudzikb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    PA and rain, the gifts that keep on giving!
    HickOnACrick likes this.
  5. c1skout

c1skout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well done so far, kudos to you both.
    Seems EVERY time I take a trip it rains more than not. I honestly prefer that to being TOO hot, so no complaints.
    HickOnACrick likes this.
  6. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Likewise. I have had 4 big trips in the past 4 years living in the Southeast. Every one of them has been more rain than dry, and 2 of the 4 were chasing or running from hurricanes.

This was from a trip where I was following Hurricane Irma's destructive path:

[​IMG]

And later, Hurricane Michael:

[​IMG]

Wet, wet, and more wet...with a side of humid. It's a long stretch from my arid younger days on the Colorado Plateau.
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    so if I see a black rain clouds while riding in the eastern mountains its likely you're near by? :lol3
    Amphib, wilfred and HickOnACrick like this.
  8. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR! I am planning on doing the MABDR solo from South to North in early August...I hope it is dry then :muutt
  9. borderxx

borderxx ifalldown

Oddometer:
    Love the East Coast RRs.

Well, glad to be reading them from northern Arizona, to be more precise.
  10. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    It's always a compromise...do you prefer packing in extra water, or just wringing water needs from one's clothing.
  11. liv2day

liv2day Life is all about how you handle plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thoroughly enjoyed the first couple of pages! As others have said, your wife is a trooper and I think it’s so cool you’re doing this together :thumb:nod

Great writing and I admire your commitment to the ride. Had a seriously good laugh on the ‘wet’ comment from the previous page.

Looking forward to following, safe travels as you make your way north :ricky
  12. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Which GPX file are you using? It looks like it is relatively easy to find camping right along the route.
  13. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Relative is a relative term...

I used the gpx file from the BDR website. I did not upload all of the POIs that contained campsites. Basically, we would just start looking for campsites once it got to be about 4 or 5 PM. We always carry a few days' worth of freeze-dried meals in case we can't find food near a campsite, then re-stock when we can (even WalMart carries freeze-dried meals).
    edgeoftheworld likes this.
  14. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator

Oddometer:
    Although I wish I were posting on the road, we have been home for a few weeks now and I am just updating the RR as I have time, but thank you for your kind comments.
  15. chudzikb

chudzikb Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may be gone from PA, but, the rain keeps falling! At least not today...