Coleman avior X3 review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by roswellj, Jun 16, 2009.

1. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    After searching the internet somewhat fruitlessly for a review on this tent I eventually bit the bullet and just bought it anyway. So as a result I have decided to write a short review on it so that others who may be looking have something to relate to.
    It arrived the other day and when I took it out of the box the first thing I noticed was that the carry case it comes in appears to be waterproof
    [​IMG]
    Me being the skeptic that I am decided to test this. After taking the tent out of the bag I put it on my head and got in the shower. Yep at the end of my nice shower my hair was still dry. Waterproofness check.
    When I opened it up I noticed that inside the bag there is a small little bag that is attached to the bag, inside it was a small repair kit. I thought this was a good idea as I tend to lose my repair kits for everything and it is attached to the bag so I cant.
    [​IMG]
    Then came time to actually put the tent up. The great thing about this tent is that the fly and tent go up at once so you don't have to worry about your tent getting wet when it's raining while your putting it up.
    The other great thing I noticed whilst putting it up is that the pole goes in one end of the pole slip and the other end is closed so you don't have to arse around getting both ends of the pole into those little eyelet things, only have to arse around getting one end in.
    This is the closed end of the pole slip
    [​IMG]
    and the open end
    [​IMG]

The next thing I noticed was that the tent pegs are freakin weird. They seem to hold everything down ok but I wouldn't like to see how well they grip in a strong wind. Might get me some more conventional aluminium pegs I think but I'll see how these go first.

[​IMG]

After about 5 minutes I had the tent up (and this was after me arsing around putting the poles in the wrong way)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's alot bigger than I thought it was going to be set up. It offers quite a lot of ventilation and protection from the elements. There is also a removable ground tarp on the outside of the tent at the front where you store your gear. Entry is via the side or the front of the tent.

So far the only thing I can fault with this tent is that it is a truely ugly colour. Noway I'm gonna be stealth camping in this one. I'm gonna sleep in it tonight so I'll let you know if I have any bad observations after that.
  2. KZN

KZN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there Roswell,

Good work on a review on this tent..It is a bit of a preview though...What was it like to sleep in? I take it you've used it since this initial impression quite a bit? I just bought one online and am eagerly waiting for it to arrive. I also want to use it for touring etc...Pity about the colour...I also like to be stealthy and not attract unnecessary attention to my campsite. Usually set up at last light and somewhere as hidden as possible from the main route!

Please let me know how you're finding the tent. Thanks!
  3. sierraoffroad

sierraoffroad Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have a similar coleman exponent tent and it's the same silly color and weird stakes, but otherwise i can't fault it for the 100.00 i paid for it. it's very similar to the mountain hardware light wedge 2, and it's made in the same country. it's all in the name and price
  4. roswellj

roswellj ARGHventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to this review (it even had pictures of it set up in my backyard from 2 houses ago, brings back memories).
    The tent is brilliant. I haven't been able to fault it yet. It is great in the heat with the vents and is equally good in the cold. It's nice to set up in the rain because of the fact that the fly is attached to the inside so you can set it up without getting the actual tent component soaking wet. Only thing about it is you have to make sure it's all tight or it can get a bit flappy in the wind (but what tent won't do that?). For the money I paid it is the second best tent I have ever owned. The best one was a hiking tent but it was an absolute bitch to set up, needed an engeneers degree to work out which pole went where.