Colemanfu's Colorado Dirt Bike & Brew Tour 2019

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Colemanfu, May 13, 2019.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    It's mid May and it's starting to heat up here a the beach, historically that means prep has begun for Fu's summer search for stoke!

Last year we took a hiatus from Colorado to partake in the greatest Colemanfu expedition to date - a 13,000 mile, 7 week run to Alaska and back.

Although it was the trip of a lifetime, a full scale trip like that can't happen every year. It was a trip that was heavily focused on destinations and although I did ride in Canada and Alaska it was not the main focus.
    This summer I'm getting back to my roots and am preparing to grip it and rip it! :ricky

[​IMG]

Alaska was the ultimate road trip and the fulfillment of a life long dream!
    My top 3 takeaways searching for stoke 4,500 miles from the sunshine state: Everything is massive and larger than life, it's remote and you're constantly reminded of how far you are from civilization, and the hospitality/generosity of the locals was amazing and was a massive part of the trips success. They would go out of their way to assure I had the best Alaska experience possible.

I made a YouTube series about the trip if interested and plan to do the same for this expedition.

Including throwing cars off a 400 foot cliff for the 4th of July!

I really enjoyed the open road freedom and although there are remote parts of CO that I'll seek out there is nothing like the 200 miles between fuel stops, going and hour and only seeing a hand full of cars, the freedom camping under any bridge ya want, and the feeling of inclusion while traveling the Alcan with fellow like minded adventurists. I'll do the best I can to replicate all those thing with a healthy dose of moto exploration and hiking. I'm looking forward to not as many things trying to kill me!

This summer it's back to Colorado!
    It's my 6th overall Colorado effort and today marks 24 days from launch!
    Bike prep has started, the van is fine tuned for mobile living, and I'm currently sorting a loose plan of attack that has me leaving FL the first weekend in June and returning at the end of July.
    Mrs. Manfu will be joining for 2 weeks and we picked Ouray as our 4th of July destination this year.

[​IMG]

This thread is where I'll share the experience with words/pictures/vids, pontificate the ADV life, and make general foolish comments :norton.

Everyone is welcome to join in the fodder with their own comments and questions about the trip. I hope it acts as an inspiration to work less and play more. I really enjoy hearing everyone's take on the this shit.

[​IMG]
    Mount Princeton last week!

I know CO got pounded by record snow this winter/spring and I'm taking that into consideration as I get sorted. I don't worry much about not having access to the high elevation single track and Jeep trails until later in the summer. I honestly see avoiding the white stuff as a proper challenge and it's forcing me to explore more low snow free riding opportunities that I've never experienced in the previous 5 trips.

[​IMG]

I've also picked 2 different 14ers to hike this season. I love my morning hikes! Back in 2017 I hiked the highest peak in the state which was also the 2nd highest in the continental United States. This year I want to do the 2nd and 3rd highest peak in the state Massive and Harvard but it all depends on my individual fitness and the weather.

[​IMG]

If anyone says hiking up to 14,000 feet is easy immediately stop listening to em. :stfu There are no easy 14ers just some not as hard as others. You never know how your body and mind will react with 20% less oxygen in the atmosphere. Believe it or not I found the going down much harder on my old knees the the climb up? Elbert was a proper ass kickin!

[​IMG]

Up next bike prep..........
    DaveBeezy, kaosrider, BillUA and 5 others like this.
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trekking poles are a must to keep you from blowing up your knees on the descent.. They also provide a certain measure of traction either going up or down...
    I know on a hike in Ouray they saved my butt from falling going across a stream...
    Colemanfu likes this.
  3. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Yea @rider1150gsadv I use a set of "sticks" and find them very helpful! My favorite move was leaning on them to rest going up hill :norton

Bike prep:
    First order of biz was to swap in a new rear pool noodle. I have a cheater tire machine that makes it a fairly easy job. I run tubes here in FL and put the noodles in just for trips to the mountains. My CO logic is purely flat prevention and weight loss. I don't feel super obligated to have max traction in CO cause I just don't get into those slick climbs out west like ya find on the east coast. I also don't want to carry the extra weight of spoons, spare tube, and mini compressor.

[​IMG]

I've ran the same rear mousse for 3 hard enduro type rides and it has finally achieved the perfect amount of squish. And you serious operators know that squish equals traction and traction will get ya in the top of the hill club more than skill or machine.:deal

The Ibex still has plenty of life in it so it gets flipped and reinstalled. The Ibex is far from the best tire for CO cause it's so soft but for a week or so it'll jam. When it chucks off I'll grab a new rear out there. So many shops carry my size that I don't feel obligated to carry an extra on the back of the van. And I'll look less white trash and all without it dangling off the back of the van.
    If ya look close, the pool noodle on the left has been drilled to accelerate the squish. It shortens the life but assures out of the box success and like fruit on the vine it gets sweeter over time! It was absolutely perfect in WV last weekend!

[​IMG]

Here's a quick vid I made about the process of drilling a brand new mousse :fpalm

The old drilled mousse on the left feels like about 5 psi - perfect! The new one on the right feels like about 30 psi :doh.
    It'll soften up over time and will do fine for the entire trip. Look at it shoe horned in the Ibex, like a big fat D cup in a A cup bra!

[​IMG]
    Reminds me of the old joke.........
    How do ya make 10 pounds of fat look good?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  4. artimus_maximus

artimus_maximus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sure you have considered moving to Colorado since it’s your go to place, yea?
    Colemanfu likes this.
  5. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Short answer is - kind of? We only owe $10K on the house and it's pretty much the perfect retirement home (less than 2,000 sq ft and easy to maintain, flat roof cinder block double wide) so plan on always retaining it as a base of operation.

[​IMG]

I do envision the day when we can leave when it gets hot and returning in October when it cools down. As for a permanent residence in CO I don't see that happening. I got itchy feet and like the mobile lifestyle and enjoy getting around. If I had an Idaho or Oregon coach I'd spend the summer there, I'm just not sure where to start?
    CO's got a lot to offer in terms of exploration and I already have a loose itinerary that includes mostly places I've never been - more on that later :evil

Back to tire time!

I've struggled to find a mousse to fill the Fatty front thus have been running a tube lately including the last trip to Kentucky. I even used the one recommended by Goldentyre but that too felt like it was rolling over some and generally unstable at speed in real dry packed surfaces. Part of that could be suspension but it did not inspire confidence. The fatty itself has been a good overall front and in Kentucky it felt like the mud slop stuff was a perfect environment compared to dryer conditions? I picked an X30 as a replacement. It's considered a "fat" front but not as chubby as the true Fatty. The Fatty still has some life in it and most likely will be reinstalled at some point after the summer.

[​IMG]

I have 2 mousses for the front (from searching for that perfect fit) and used the larger of the two for the new tire (the one on the left). It fit perfect and am expecting the front noodle/tire combo will last the duration of the trip.

One down side of the pool noodles it that they don't like to be tied down on the hauler. Shit they even recommend using a stand when the bike is not being used to relieve the pressure and prevent flat spots. During the Alaska trip the first bit of every ride felt like the front was egg shaped until it warmed up. And when pulled it I could see where it had been compressed due to long duration of being tied down. Those shit road up in the great white north had me sinching that bike down real hard to prevent unnecessary movement. The solution would be one of those MX haulers that support the bike from the skid plate and secured by the foot pegs only and the front and rear just hang in the air. Anyone got one? I'd like to hear your impressions. https://mojomotosport.com/collections/mx-hauler-all/products/ultimate-mx-hauler-ktm-husqvarna

[​IMG]

When the mousses aren't being used I bag em up and store em in the air condition per manufactures recommendations. The one one the right is pretty shrunk down with a side of nappy and would not fill any kind of fat front tire. The front mounted up easier than rear cause the rear was new and stiff. The front pool noodle was ran some for two trips (Buffalo Challenge in WV and Sasquatch GPS Hard Enduro in TN).

[​IMG]

Final order of biz was to sit back, crack a cold one and put on the traditional "Support Your Local Brewer" sticker. :drink

[​IMG]

Aside from packing tools, random parts and moto related maintenance products, the final moto prep will include oil change and fresh oil filter.
    In the last few trips out west I've done 2 oil changes in country. 3 if you include milky oil after a swim :doh My biggest fear is those dang swift water crossings!

Up next - the master plan!
    Ginger Beard and Huzband like this.
  6. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Tip for swift water crossings; don't try to go across in a perpendicular line, but rather at an angle down stream if possible to avoid sucking up water in the air intake... :norton
    Colemanfu likes this.
  7. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    As long as I keep them boots dry :dllama:

8. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Trip stickers are in!

[​IMG]
  9. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who does your stickers? Need some for an event.
    Colemanfu likes this.
  10. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Fast Signs in Holly Hill FL but looks like they have multiple locations. Real easy to work with in terms of proofs and revisions, less than 2 weeks between first request and printing.

https://www.fastsigns.com/locations

Here's last summers, same deal just different wording!

[​IMG]

Cause any brewery worth a shit has one of these!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    gun 4 hire and Ginger Beard like this.
  11. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Final bike prep complete - drained and refilled the dino juice and put in a new filter for said juice. Bike is good to go!

[​IMG]

But first our Saturday started with a little sunrise in bed. Now that the moto is sorted I need to start to focus on van prep.

[​IMG]

I don't see anything different happening to the van compared to other summer trips. I feel like it's pretty sorted for extended living. It's a well contained house on wheels. I really think sleeping in your own comfortable bed at night helps with long duration trips. That and minimal set up and break down helps stay on the road longer, I'm not much of a set up guy.

[​IMG]

One luxury item we added for last years Alaska run was a mini gennie. It's not mandatory but did come in handy at times. I've always carried a little single burner electric hot plate that we used when we had power available as apposed to using the white gas burning 20 + year old Coleman stove.

[​IMG]

The little Honda allows an option to use the hot plate at will for those times when there's strong wind or I want to warm up something in the van. I used it less than 5 times the entire AK trip but it was nice to have when needed. One time was after a ride in the rain. It was nice to return to camp, fire up Little Red, pull out the burner and warm up a can of soup in the van. It was hot meal and the dry air from the burner really made the van nice and cozy.

[​IMG]

I cook 99.9% of the meals out of the van and pretty much every single one of them involved the need for a stove. I've only cooked in the van that single time in the rain.

[​IMG]

I also use the stove or hot plate on shower nights to heat up a pot of water to add to the shower. The hot plate makes real quick work of boiling a pot of water!
    The Big Kahuna Shower holds about 4 gallons but I only use about 2 when I shower. I learned long ago that you don't need to heat more water than ya use!
    I also learned that running out of hot water when showering on chilly evening sucks!

[​IMG]

A year or so ago we also added a portable shitter. I try very hard not to do #2 in the van but sometimes ya can't just dip in the wood and dig a hole.
    Pretty much glorified poo in a bag deal or in our case 3-4 bags ha.

[​IMG]

It has a dedicated storage section under the bed next to the stove. You don't want to be digging around in a panic when ya really need it:doh
    I uses a chemical called Poo Power that turns liquid into jell and does some stuff with the aroma? Like I said it's a last resort!

[​IMG]

The final van mod took place this spring. I added a second receiver to the back of the van to stabilize the hauler a bit. It's called the "Hondo mod" named after the inmate here that did the same deal for the same reason :norton

[​IMG]

Really adds to the rigidity! And doesn't look too bad without the hauler?

[​IMG]
  12. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Is the weather in Colorado going to alter your plans? Slaven's Racing sent out an email basically saying to stay away from Colorado for awhile due to the late season snow they have been getting.
    Colemanfu likes this.
  13. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Yes, yes, and yes! Love how Jeff send out those warnings "DELAY YOUR CO TRIP" but follows up with some kind of sale items type e? :hmmmmm

https://www.aspendailynews.com/news...cle_f3ff33d0-7692-11e9-8a44-7fb1a3fbbce3.html

The Plan!

First off to address the snow pack situation. CO has had like 187% more snow than average. Shit last weekend they had 20 more inches dump up high and 10 alone in The Springs! I would say that a massive monkey wrench being thrown in mix :fpalm
    But in the spirit of transparency FU could give a shit! I'm burned out from work and need to enter the escape module ASAP :p3rry

From the outside lookin in teaching a game for a living sounds easy but just like every job there are expectations of excellence and achievement that include 16 hour days, post match video analysis till 2 in the morning, sunrise training sessions, planning, evaluating players, scouting reports, and weekends consumed with recruiting. - waaaaaa poor me right :flip

[​IMG]

Weird when your hobby becomes your living?

Snow has always been a factor at the start of my trip. Some passes like Perl have never been clear others have been snowed in at the start of The Tour in June and clear by the end in July but this year will be different for sure. I'm predicting everything is pushed back a month? So trails or passes that would normally be clear by the start of July wont be clear till the start of August (thus the Wanker's trip timing & the CADS Wagon Train) and more stuff then normal won't be clear at all.
    Dodging the snow has always been a part of the journey so it's expected and I see it as a proper challenge.

[​IMG]

First vehicles over Tin Cup Pass, June 24th 2013 or 14?
    That day I rode with a local who prided himself for being the first over passes. First we walked the snow section packing it down then we helped push eachothers motos to be able to cross. It was my first trip to CO and did 80+ miles that day - I was hooked!

[​IMG]

My first year out I was like a riding crack head - all about the ride but as I've gained more experience with long trips I've found other activities to satisfy and don't feel compelled to throw a leg over every singe day and ride from 9-5.
    I cook more now and make more elaborate meals, I love to sniff out cool camps aside from riding trail heads, my love of hiking has increased, and those hot spring visits beat the shit out of a shower in a parking lot.

There's plenty to explore at lower elevations. My loose plan has me starting around Colorado Springs. I'd like to run Captain Jacks, 2 parts of Rampart (Trout Creek & 717) including a hike up to the Devils Head fire tower. I wan to explore around Victor and Cripple Creek, I'll return to Texas Creek and ride a new one to me called Primrose? Then over the Buena Vista which is my Colorado town. I found a few cool free camping spots I want to check out and 2 of em connect to Four Mile OHV which include a bit of single track stoke on Triad Ridge and miles of low elevation exploration.

[​IMG]

Mrs. Manfu will fly in around the 20th and out on July 6th. The after she departs I start of week of work at University of Colorado in Boulder! Fun town and have visited twice before. Looking forward to seeing a different side of town as well as the potential networking.
    Historically the riding slows when mama has joined, not a dead stop but I pick and choose my rides like a morning rip or 2 hours here or there.

[​IMG]

We picked Ouray for the 4th of July that include the only booked sites we have for the trip. 2 nights right outside of town a the Orvis Hot Springs. Ouray is a fun town and they really do it up for the 4th. Parade in the morning with a jet fly over and water fights in the afternoon.
    We do a VIP deal up on the top of the Ouray Brewery to watch the festivities.

[​IMG]

4 men enter, 2 men leave!

[​IMG]

After University of Colorado I'll make my way down to Taylor Park (via BV again ha!) and then to Silverton to finish up with the Alpine Loop.

Aside from those hard targets we're wide open and always know that no matter what goes down that we'll be in our own bed every night!

[​IMG]

How's that for a plan :scratch
  14. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Pretty solid I’d say..:drink
  15. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Guna be blazing hot today, like the hottest in 2 years? Exciting to think about being able to see all that snow in person 15 days from now.

Huzband likes this.
  16. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    :y0!
    I'm in for this one!

Haystackdaughter and I will hit Colorado in August this year:ricky

image.jpg

Don't let the snow stop you from enjoying the mountains!

image.jpg

edit: I wonder how much snow is there right now!
    pratered and Huzband like this.
  17. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Ahhhhhh @haystack I wish I could be there in August but that's the beginning of the college soccer campaign. One day I'll get to see those aspen trees turn gold , pretty much my favorite tree ever :kumbaya

Mamamanfu was concerned about privacy, me not so much. She added a mini portable privacy shelter to the van. It folds up in a circle and easy to store. Takes like an aerospace degree to fold it back up tho. My only concern would be using it in the wind but aside from that a solid addition.
    Anxious to see how much I really use it for either showering or pooin?

[​IMG]

This past weekend I did a few systems checks including showering in the new privacy shelter in the driveway. :fpalm But that included the testing of 3 different systems. First fired up the mini 1. genny then plugged in the 2. hot plate to boil a post of water to dump in the 3. portable shower. It was hot enough to not need a pot of water but I did want to test the mini Honda one more time and dump in a bit of fuel additive when I top off the tank.

The van's a dry camper - no running water or refrigerator. I like the idea of a proper electric low draw fridge but see it as a luxury item and not completely necessary for a part timer such as myself. If I lived full time in my vehicle I'd drop the coin on a real nice one but for a summer in the van I'm fine with a bag of ice here and there. Shit, it's barley getting above freezing out there currently and the cool temps at night really allow that ice to last a week.

Here's the cooler box minus the cooler. It's located in the bottom of the feeding station. I used the leftover 1/2 in insulation (multiple layers) from the buildout and it's lined with a heavy duty trash bag to make it waterproof - ya know in case I forget to put the drain plug in the bottom of the cooler :doh

[​IMG]

It's not just insulated around the inside of the box but behind the paneling there's insulation as well as between the back of the feeding station and interior wall of the van to protect it when the divers side is parked facing the sun. I use an old silver Coleman cooler and all together it's pretty much the poor mans Yeti.
    I have a big Tupperware container that we put in the cooler that holds the dry goods that need to stay cold. The bottom of the cooler is for the suds :evil

[​IMG]

We even use a piece of insulation as a cooler cover for a tight seal. It doubles as a sticker collector and all those stickers create an exponential improvement in R value :norton

[​IMG]

Last week of work and one more weekend at the beach! I got out the shop vac and gave the van a good deep cleaning, detailed drivers compartment and polished the wood floors and counter tops.

It's really starting to heat up down here, I've been running the window insulation to keep the temp down in the van. I really enjoyed not worrying about putting up the window insulation but it's just part of summer in FL. When the shades are not in use, I tuck them under the mattress for quick easy storage.

Happy hour in the van!

[​IMG]

And I pulled out the bike just to look at it :loco

[​IMG]

And rib game was on point!

[​IMG]

Make ya slap yo mama good!

[​IMG]
  18. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    5 days till launch!

I decided to make the run on the weekend in hopes of avoiding some traffic. On Saturday morning I bust out early and make my way 14 hours to St. Louis. A highway rest area in Wright City just west of down town has historically been the end of day one. I like going through the city later at night as apposed to getting up and hitting morning traffic. This time I'm mixing it up and staying at Point Labaddie Brewery in Labadie MO, south west of the city that allows overnight parking. :clap

But plan as much as ya want cause it really doesn't matter when life serves up a mini shit sandwich.

Well that's Sprinter van life, the van's dash lit up on Friday morning! Pretty much the same deal as a year ago - wheel speed sensor shit?
    ABS, smokey burn out tire, and van laying down bacon strips all lit up on the dash along with no cruse control, exactly the same symptoms as before.

[​IMG]

I dropped it off a the dealer first thing this morning but no S Class curtsy car :dirtdog, love those sweet MB loaners! With zero notice at the dealer I had to haul the mini bike with me to use to get to my last day of work. I also had a recall notice for a passenger air bag (not my side, not my problem ha) that I've been putting off so they'll keep it over night and hoping it will be done tomorrow after lunch? Fingers crossed!

[​IMG]

It clearly could have been much worse. Last year I was in the thick of Canada when this same thing happened. I Googled "Mercedes dealer near me" and I was offered the option of 2,500 miles to Anchorage Alaska or 275 to Edmonton :doh. And on a Friday as well! Easy choice especially with the ABS being weird and no curse control.

Here's the vid from last summer - real code brown shit as I was 3,00 miles from home and in a different country. Long story short I reached out to a local listed on the ADV Rider tent space list and he hosted me for 2 days (Saturday,Sunday) and on Monday morning the dealer got me sorted and I was off to Dawsons Creek and the start of the Alcan!

Enjoy the code brown vid!

19. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is good luck, I think....

Did you look at the wheel sensors? I think the little pick up sensors get dirty and sometimes just need a cleaning to restore function. I would have just installed black tape over those lights and carried on....lol
  20. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    New plastics? Or new bike? Did I miss something somewhere? Never mind, reading comprehension is not strong tonight. Mini Bike. :D
    gun 4 hire and Colemanfu like this.