Colemanfu's Colorado Dirt Bike & Brew Tour 2019

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Colemanfu, May 13, 2019.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I’d be a big faker if I said it was easy cause it wasn’t!
    What would be 10 min at home with the machine turned out to be a 90 min project! I use a few straps to keep the freshly lubed noodle from slipping out.

IMG_9818.jpg

Did I mention that sucker was big! I have the mud flap and inner pipe as data!

IMG_9824.jpg

Nasty filter! Stuck in a freshie, my 4th of The Tour.

IMG_9825.jpg

Then it was time for suds and supper! This trip has allowed me to master my street taco making skills!
    Steak and peppers- mmmmmm!

IMG_9866.jpg
  2. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    A plan was hatched, a new knobby added, and I was full of craft suds and steak tacos! Pretty much the perfect end to the day!

IMG_9882.jpg

The final chore and the secret to my success- a new fender sticker I got in Boulder at The Waterloo a Johnny Cash themed pub!

IMG_9920.jpg

Life’s about the details! Like when ya use every piece of elastic cord to hold down my water jug?

IMG_9893.jpg

I was ready to get up in the morning and RIP! But not ready for frost and 34° the second week in July?

IMG_9939.jpg
  3. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    A number of years back I had thunder snowshowers in July on top of Alpine Tunnel...:eek7 Rocky Mountain weather is unpredictable for sure..
    Ginger Beard and Colemanfu like this.
  4. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Philip Kuntz and Huzband like this.
  5. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Here's a quick vid of me showin the side by sides how it's done! :fpalm

Let me know if these vid links are workin?

[​IMG]

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-7Xqrcgw/0/cd620752/1920/i-7Xqrcgw-1920.mp4

I knew immediately that a poor decision was made. That water running down should have been a give a way but this was my first experience with something other than a rock hard surface.

The suction really was starting to take hold and I could feel the bike sinking!

[​IMG]

Not the fight ya want at 10,000 feet!

But after sinking to my knee in goop and almost ripping over in the mud I self extracted and went through the same rut that tossed the bigger machine on its side.

[​IMG]

The whole section was a mess due to recent snow melt and folks were starting to widen the track to ovoid the nasty.

I ran another 7 miles and got just past where the high and low road meet before hitting multiple drifts.

View attachment 1799319
    Philip Kuntz and Ginger Beard like this.
  6. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    The vids are working for me :clap

I believe the 2nd video should be titled "TRAILS CLOSED, PART THREE"
  7. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Ha! The trail is never closed!
    That snow put me on my ass twice and my face once! Too bad the cam wasn’t running?

It was a beautiful night on the bluff!

IMG_0178.jpg

It cooled off nice and that night I used every single blanket.

IMG_9926.jpg

Part of the morning routine is making coffee. I use a big inverter and fire up the van for the 7 min process. Yea, I timed it for the purpose of data collection. On chilly mornings I shut the windows and vent and crank up the heat!

Room temp - 34°!

IMG_9938.jpg

The sun hits, the van warms up, and I get movin!
    Frickin stove is so love hate. Not much love in the air this particular morning.

IMG_9988.jpg
  8. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Today’s mission- make the flag!

But summit aside the highlight of the day was meeting Lindy and Steve. Met em on the trail early that morning. We were both shocked to see another human up there that high and that early. Must have been close to 9:00 and at 12,000 feet.

IMG_0083.jpg

They were skeptical of my intentions and intelligence and rightfully so. Short version is they own Oliver’s Cabin along with the mine and accompanying buildings. Between them and their cool Jeep I was kind of star struck!

IMG_0084.jpg

I’ve been a big fan of that spot and it was great to meet the current caretakers. They asked me to check in on my way back down and even offered a beer!

IMG_0081.jpg

I will never go by this point with stopping to drop off a gift and to visit!

But I had some diggin to do!!!

IMG_9999.jpg
  9. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Someone on. SxS had attempted a snow crossing and I used one track as a starting point. Dig for 45 min not knowing what was waiting above. I did know from past visits that I was within striking distance of the saddle!

I dug one smaller section to get momentum then walked the next drift.

IMG_0435.jpg

The bottom surface felt like a few feet of solid ice with about a foot of power on top. I felt like I could walk the machine across as long as I kept on the surface. I avoided breaking through by really working that clutch finger, light on the gas, and pushing like a mofo! Spinning in the snow just sinks that rear and if the front breaks through it’s like a plow that’s where stamping it down some helps.

IMG_0437.jpg

When I crested the saddle and saw a clear view to the top (trail to the left)I was blowing up with adrenaline!

IMG_0436.jpg

I expect to succeed. When I told my wife my plan she acted like it was perfectly normal (she later fessed her doubts) . I had a proper plan based on experience and was prepared to spend the day shoveling if needed. I knew 100% I would be the first vehicle of the season to summit. At least that’s what I was telling myself. But as I broke out of that last section of snow, part of my inner dialogue included the thought - dang that actually worked?

IMG_0186.jpg

Next up, my time at the top!
  10. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
  11. michaelmy

michaelmy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride report & Videos & Trip
    I will be visiting Vail from England in August & renting a DR 650
    Will head down to the Alpine Loop, taking in what trails i can find that are open & sensible...!
    Huzband and Colemanfu like this.
  12. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir! As of now 90% of the Alpine Loop is open. There are a few Facebook groups that give amazing updates if your into that. But Vail to Silverton is a half day drive like 250 miles? But I bet there's a more dirt oriented way to connect the two towns.

When you pass through Ouray make sure to hit up KJ Wood - the distillery. Personally not into the hard stuff but Mrs. Manfu sure is ha. The place is first class and they make super quality mixology drinks - me I got an good ol gin and tonic.

[​IMG]

It's right as you enter town on the left and has some amazing views from the porch!

[​IMG]
    John the owner is an inmate here, an avid ADV rider, and supporter of the CO moto events in the area. Over all great fella!

[​IMG]

That's his rally version of a EXC500 off in the distance. It's really set up perfect for long distance exploring not just his four block commute to work :viking

[​IMG]
  13. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    Here's a way to get to Lake City (eastern terminus of Alpine Loop), probably the most direct dirtish route. There are sections of pavement but it's mostly dirt on scenic maintained roads.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fyZc9dRKsgdXBpaVf3IAoMpbEoN86xHD&usp=sharing
    Philip Kuntz likes this.
  14. michaelmy

Oddometer:
  15. michaelmy

Oddometer:
    Thank you!

I have really enjoyed reading your 16, 17, and 19 reports

I will be doing a 3 day trip from Vail to include the Alpine Loop

Will try to drop in in KJ Woods in Ouray - I am a fan of a Single Malt & Bourbon! (& real ale beer - not this craft IPA stuff...........???? !!!)

I have a nicely kitted 16 500 EXC in England that i use for trails and long distance trials.
    I considered renting one in Co - but a DR 650 will do the treks better, and make me more sensible - key to riding solo....

Not sure about Poughkeepsie solo, but i have done extreme stuff on my GS 12, so should be fine downhill at the wall & scree, if dry....

Thanks again !
  16. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    The trip up from the saddle takes about 5 min, it’s a long climb. There’s been zero point zero traffic to this point so no set track. That and when the other machines start heading up they avoid any difficulty sections and just widen the trail? You can see the expansion of the swath in the below pix.

IMG_0485.jpg

I like to stop at the 3/4 mark and take in the view! On the way down I rode off the the left and soaked up the view!

IMG_0486.jpg

The state of the flag was pretty sad. Later I found out that Steve erected the new pole 3 years ago and uses the donations to replace the flag. Not just some random flag off Amazon. Each flag is special ordered and has been flown over the state capital! Well played!

IMG_0003.jpg

To pretty things up a bit I tagged it with a TW and van sticker!

IMG_0056.jpg
    pratered, Philip Kuntz and Huzband like this.
  17. salty_dog

salty_dog Day trips around TLH, WMAs and South Ga dirt roads

Oddometer:
    Nice trip !! Thanks for sharing all of your videos and pictures. Bet it was fun..
  18. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    I spent about 30 min up there celebrating the moment. It was just me and and the marmots. I counted 14 at one point! Cute but notorious for munching on critical wires and fuel lines.

IMG_0039.jpg

Fuzzy little buggers have no fear! I snapped some pix, shot vid and ate a Cliff bar.

IMG_0020.jpg

At close to 13,000 feet you can feel the altitude. Up and back down is the protocol. I was properly acclimated after 5 weeks in country and most of that spent above 8,000 feet. The running and hiking at altitude helps a lot. Like I mentioned in the past, I love that leg and lung burn!

IMG_0067.jpg

I could feel the trip coming to an end and making it up was a proper crescendo. I knew I had the following day to ride and then on Monday morning I would posture to begin the trip home. I savored every millisecond at the top knowing I had and amazing summer and my time was quickly coming to an end!

Life’s short, do epic shit!

IMG_0186.jpg
  19. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Someone needs to put a CADS sticker up there. :nod
    beefcake morris likes this.
  20. beefcake morris

beefcake morris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those are some closeups shots of those mountain beavers:imaposer
    Huzband likes this.