Colemanfu's Colorado Dirt Bike & Brew Tour 2019

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Colemanfu, May 13, 2019.

1. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    Love it. I need to go back to Colorado soon.

Do you have any closeup pics of the mod you made to your Versahaul?
    Thanks.
  2. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Moto - ya wanting to see how I hang all my white trash stuff off the back or “The Hondo” mod for increased rigidity?

XQChDM4-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg

IMG_9087.jpg

And a Friday van vid, have a vantastic weekend!

Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. MotoChron

MotoChron Got Dirt?!

Oddometer:
    The Hondo mod. Thanks.
    Colemanfu likes this.
  4. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    The “Hondo mod”.

Much like my van build I took ideas I liked and applied them to my specific application. A fellow inmate - Hondo shared a slick mod he made to his hauling set up. After watching that KTM bounce around behind me for 13,000 miles to Alaska and back it got me investigating options to shore up my bouncy rack.

But in reality the majority of movement comes from the tires not the hauler.

Hondo set up:

LL5hVjD-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg

I had to design ours a little different due to the exhaust output and the rise of my hitch. We run a couple inch rise to increase departure angle. That forced my additional receiver to be placed at a slight upward angle.

7VCcCdx-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg

It’s bolted to the frame using the existing mounts from the stock hitch. The bolted plate is welded to the new receiver tube and the bottom of the stock receiver bracket.

KB4SSvm-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg

Ignore the wonkie wiring for the under van lights and lines for the air bags. In the below pix you can see the bead of weld connecting the new receiver and stock bracket.

GMxQjPM-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg
    Ginger Beard and MotoChron like this.
  5. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    The square tube was drilled at each end to accept a standard hitch pin and on the hauler we added two pieces of angle iron to accept the pin for the receiver tube.

9qcN3VL-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg

For CO I ran a locking pins. My have been just a lock on the hauler side? Can’t remember?
    And here’s how it looks in an every day configuration.

xjfmPC5-0%21sizeoriginal.jpg

A single weld to grind and two bolts if it ever needs to be transferred to a new Colemanvan!

IMG_8437.jpg

View attachment 1805699

Thanks for the inspirations @Hondo , anything you'd like to add?
  6. justcountry04

justcountry04 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gilchrist County Floriduh (AKA farm country)
    Hey Fu, I just missed you at Hartman rocks. I was there on July 23 with some friends. We rode almost every single track in the joint. This was my first time riding it. It was like Disneyland! We stayed in Parlin for a week and rode Fossle Ridge and some other fun stuff around Gunnison. We just got back yesterday, man what a trip. I watched your video of the hail storm, Man that shit was nasty!!! We need to catch back up in Florida and do some riding, Maybe when it cools off a little though? Hope to Catch you later...Mike
    Colemanfu likes this.
  7. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    JC, that’s an amazing place! I was right at the entrance to Tail Pipe and so much cool shit right by camp. Special place indeed!

One protocol of the trip was to shoot a time lapse at camp. The sky was like watching my TV. It provided endless entertainment as we chilled at camp. Enjoy, I gave that little cube a workout!

8. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    For the first time in many years I can't answer the question "What's next?"
    Since like 2013 or 14 we've know how we are spending the summer. In the middle of our CO tour in 2017 we hatched the plan for Alaska. The more I said it out loud the more real it became. On the way back from Alaska we decided to go back to CO. I missed a ride centric trip and those cool CO mountain towns.

Now the water gets muddy. I took this pix on my last day in Alaska just as I was starting the 12 day 5,000 mile drive back to reality. With a tear in my eye I said goodbye to Alaska and promised her that I'd be back!

[​IMG]

But here's where it gets difficult.......
    Added up my diesel bill for the trip and would like to thank the University of CO for supporting my effort. I spent $840.00 on the greasy stuff! I don't have a breakdown of gallon price but I rarely paid over $3.00 and most were in the $2.50-$2.75 range. Not too bad for 6,500 miles. The camp was a great experience of networking, west coast recruiting, and easily covered my diesel bill.

Tori was a fantastic assistant. A junior captain, first team all conference and the fastest female athlete I've seen. The combo of speed and aggression (don't be fooled by that smile - she'll kick the shit of of ya while scoring buckets of goals) makes her absolutely lethal!
    [​IMG]

744 campers, 90 coaches, 8 different pitches.

[​IMG]

We had 8 teams in our age group alone! Despite the factory like numbers the camp was well organized and ran super smooth.

[​IMG]

2020 camp dates are already set and I've been invited back hence the muddying of the waters. CO is great but we've been all over and are wanting a new challenge. Too soon for Alaska, it's a major undertaking and pretty darn expensive - twice the fuel and more than twice the driving!

Anyone with experience in Idaho? I need and Idaho coach, their even more protective of the stoke than Colorado?

Thanks for following along I've enjoyed sharing the journey!

[​IMG]

What's next! :evil
  9. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Hit up @Milkweed, he's a full time CADS dood & part time Idahore. Idahoe? :dunno :D
    Milkweed likes this.
  10. Milkweed

Milkweed It's not me, it’s the bike.

Oddometer:
    Fleming Island, Florida & Coeur d’Alene, ID
    I’m based in Coeur d’Alene, ID from about June-Nov. With the help of PANTRA.org I’ve been getting a large lesson in incredible technical single track in the northern panhandle, and I rode the 2918 KLIM Cow Tag w @Turbo61 .Will have broader ID experience after riding some of the T1 Tour of Idaho route between Wallace ID and Pocatello ID in early Sept with @Turbo61 .
    Certainly come on up and visit! Check out the PANTRA website and Facebook page. Also check out the incredible interactive Idaho Trails Map on Idaho.gov.
    Colemanfu, Huzband and beaterktm like this.
  11. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mr.Weed, I'll check it out and tap ya as a resource. One mass appeal of CO is the availability of trail intell. I'm anxious to start geekin out about Idaho!

And for you vid fans here's the latest MCV production! Mama Manfu joins the tour, we dirtbag our way around CO, meet a boater who narrowly escaped death, my bike has a fuel delivery issue, we experience our first paid site of the trip, hike to an abandon mine, visit the Pitkins Hotel, and have date night in Crested Butte - the ultimate party town!

Fosters and waybill like this.
  12. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    All the cool kids are in CO, Work is in full swing, and I’m battling post trip depression.

Reliving the experience through editing vid. Made this quickie about Taylor Park my favorite place on earth!

FASTRacing and Fosters like this.
  13. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Now this is a very ride-centric vid. We moved from Pitkins to Montrose on our way to Ouray for the 4th. Montrose was fun to ride but super hot and not a tree in site for shade. We moved to Ouray the following morning.
    Enjoy a ride on Mars!

14. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Following in the footsteps of a celebrity.

Look what I found on a mountainside in colorado.

image.jpg
    Colemanfu and Ginger Beard like this.
  15. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    image.jpg

image.jpg
  16. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_2047.jpg

I saw this in pitkin
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  17. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    @beaterktm that's about the best place to eat in Pitkins and easy on the eyes as well :viking

[​IMG]

I hid in the AC between training sessions this weekend and worked on below edit. I love going over that footage - really brings back some mems I forgot all about! I think I got 2 more vids to finish up the ADV.

In this episode we move from Montrose to Ouray to escape the heat, travel the Million Dollar highway to Silverton and I explore the Alpine Loop.
    The Jeep in the river is a very sad story of a couple from out of state. We were there 2-3 days after the incident. Scary stuff and a reminder how deadly Colorado can be.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/283468

Enjoy the morning stoke!

18. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great vid! :drink
    Amazing amount of snow still up there. Never seen that before myself. People always underestimate the power of even a small creek. During one MTB trip, my group and I waded through one when some guy, calling us wimps, decided to ride his MTB through, promptly fell and got washed downstream a bit :fpalm. Karma is a b^tch... :-)
    Ginger Beard and Colemanfu like this.
  19. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    I made this vid as a proper PSA for those multi use trail riders. Remember, don’t be an asshole cause ain’t nobody got time for that!

20. salty_dog

salty_dog Day trips around TLH, WMAs and South Ga dirt roads

Oddometer:
    Nice vid and very well done. You should share that with some of the Share the Trails organizations.
    Ginger Beard and Colemanfu like this.