Colemanfu's Idaho Dirt Bike and Brew Tour 2020

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Colemanfu, May 9, 2020.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
  2. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice
  3. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    I liked Idaho, some of the toughest racing I've ever done was in north ID.
    Colemanfu likes this.
  4. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    When are you leaving for your trip?
    Colemanfu likes this.
  5. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Van stickers are finalized, no backin out now!:evil

[​IMG]

@Mikemm - launch date is the first weekend in June. The earliest ever but my virus induced sabbatical has my feet itching! That and Mamamanfu has submitted a proposal to her boss that would allow her to spend the summer working remotely. Shit they cut her pay in half and not allowing sales visits, let her fly free till August - I need someone to watch the dog while I ride.

Hope are high our society does not regress back into full lockdown. I've been following the developments out west and they are about 2 weeks behind Fliduh. Sad part is the rural areas are just getting slammed with cases right now and we spen all of our time outside the big cities.
    I can live with out eating in and perfectly fine with to go suds. Actually have been enjoying some fantastic deals on craft beer. Road trip to Dog Rose in St. A for $10 growler fills!. My favorite food truck was a bonus!

Vanlife social distancing at it's highest level!

[​IMG]

We've been hyper social responsible and only breaking shelter once a week. In those trips I've notices plenty of folks being shit heads. :deal

[​IMG]

Just picked these 2 jugs up for $16 at Tomoka Brewing yesterday. I was the only FF in the joint with a mask :chace

[​IMG]

And if ya didn't catch it, I've been planning to take the dog since last summer. I loved having her with me in Alaska and really missed her companionship last year in CO. I know she jacks up the riding but with Mrs Manfu along I wouldn't have to worry as much.

[​IMG]

Cause we know she also loves that single track stoke! :happay

B10Dave, Johno33772, Huzband and 8 others like this.
  6. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I love it.
  7. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    #nopillowissafe

Sucks on the work digs. Took a similar pay cut for one summer gig, but more work :flush

We’ve actually talked last few weeks of throwing kids and bike in the truck, split out west for 2-3 weeks.
    Ginger Beard, Colemanfu and DaveBeezy like this.
  8. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    In:y0! I'ma gonna need a sticker

Are you planning to go direct to Idaho? or stop off in CO?
  9. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Do it @motomike14 you could make it a summer of a life time!

Well kind of have to don't I? @haystack Can't screen that call :evil

[​IMG]

Planning a day or 3 in our fav CO town - Buena Vista! Pretty much just to soak up the atmosphere, fill the cooler with Eddyline suds and would like to spend a morning on Chinaman Trail.

Here's the view heading in to town!

[​IMG]

Then it's on to Utah and if the weather is not super hot a re visit to Moab? I'd like to slow the pace and avoid those 8-10 hr driving days. And Moab is about half way from Gunny to the ID border - see what I did there :rilla

And here's the Caddy of trail saws and from what I've been told a mandatory piece of kit for Idaho.

[​IMG]

It's like a samurai sword and went through this palm is seconds, designed to work on the pull stroke!

[​IMG]

Craft AF! :super

[​IMG]

Have a great weekend and up next for the machine - tire time!

[​IMG]
  10. Milkweed

Milkweed It's not me, it’s the bike.

Oddometer:
    Fleming Island, Florida & Coeur d’Alene, ID
    Oh yeah. Silky Big Boy saw is real handy for Idaho trails.
    @ADVNeophyte could vouch for that.
    Colemanfu likes this.
  11. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    THE most bad ass saw I've ever owned, a proper ninja weapon!

And had a tire party at Castle Cole this weekend!

[​IMG]

Both the front and rear mousse (pool noodle) are a year old. When not in use they live in a trash bag under the guest bed. They both feel and look like they shrunk just a bit. Here's the denotation on the rear noodle.

NM = Nitro Mousse, 18 = 18 in rim size, 305 = the specific model which is more stiff 10 psi to 13 psi and designed for higher speed.

[​IMG]

A year ago it was stiff stiff and felt like a proper 13,14psi. Now it's shrunk down a bit it feel like 8,10 psi - perfect squish!
    And it was mated with a 120/100/18 Shinko 505 Cheater. I ran this tire the last 3 weeks of CO last summer, picked it up from Highland Cycle in Montrose cause my existing mousse was an exact fit.

[​IMG]

Still kind of like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag, I use a few straps to prevent it for squirming off the rim.

[​IMG]

It's a big ol honkin tire! Perhaps too soft a compound and too soft a noodle for what I'm asking. Has me thinking I may have to replace both tire and mousse mid trip (which could prove difficult locating) but not enough to encourage me to carry an extra at the point of departure. If needed I'll sniff out a noodle and tire mid trip.

[​IMG]

The front got a year old Goldentyre noodle. Looks spankin new but felt like it shrunk just a wee bit and an overall feel of 12 psi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And got stuffed in a Battlecross X30f that I've ran since last fall. It has a few woods rides and a season of deep sand MX on it, looks fairly new, should work just fine!
    This is considered a "fat" front but not as big as the real Fatty. I call this one a chubby. I struggled to get a noodle to fill the proper Fatty and it always felt too soft like it was folding over and effected my confidence. This combo with the slightly not as fat a front feels perfect.

[​IMG]

I find jamming my rear axel into my can incredibly rewarding. My latest tire changing hack :loco
    It's the perfect storage spot, within arms reach for reinstall and prevents the axel from picking up debris.

[​IMG]

18 days!
    The bike is sorted, made the teaser vid, finalizing the van and continuing to do my research!

Confidence level is medium. Mamas employer recieved a loan so pulling em back to work. Of course that happens after she received approval to work remotely:dizave. I'm also noticing some travel push back from folks out west.
    In the past the Florida license plate made me a rock star now it's a lookin like a scarlet letter :fpalm

[​IMG]
    Huzband and Ginger Beard like this.
  12. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokes need some lovin’ :viking

You should pack some extra local suds, make peace offerings to your western brethren :beer
  13. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    SHhhhhh! He will polish those spokes to a mirror finish!:D
  14. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Strange times for traveling, for sure. What do you think will be the major obstacles?
  15. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Those spokes have been nasty since 2015 (and I don't think I've even tried since then)? If they could be made shiny you know I woulda done it! :deal

@haystack - since Alaska experience. the trips are really is about the people we meet on the road. Like you and your kiddo! I just don't see this one being as social? We meet the coolest cats at the breweries and out to eat and don't see that happening nearly as much this effort. Take out yes but hanging at the pub shooting the shit with the locals or other travelers, giving van tours, invites to someone's home for coffee/drinks, and those fun hangs at camp could be a deal of the past.
    People don't want outside folks bringing in germs, I understand that.

We'll be socially responsible, I promise!

15 days!

Until then I'll continue to do my research...

[​IMG]

It's a combo of computer, paper maps, and most importantly - first hand human info. If you name a trail online, trail head or town that looks good, I'm looking in up! May even stalk ya with a PM if your lucky! I know better than to ask in public and 99% of the time I get great feedback. Nothing handed on a plate but a friendly point in the needed direction. Nothing beats first hand intel.

[​IMG]

I seek out those destination rides or areas that have a high concentration of trails. Remember our preference is a few nights at a single location, ride a few days and move on. I have a few paper maps of riding areas on the way and I'll run my GPS as a back up. I also have the a few map apps on the phone that work without cell service.

[​IMG]

Not only do I research the trails but potential camping close to said trails. And by camping I mean free :thumb
    Below is a potential first stop in Idaho??? Safety is our first priority in camp spots. I've moved twice in the past cause my spidey senses acted up and have only received a single knock to move on - GTFO!

We have a fairly decent grasp on selecting boondocking spots. I prefer camping to be just as epic as the trails. Yea Wallmart is free but is it really free to set up camp - NO! I like to sleep in the van not hide in the van.
    Great example is our two stops in CO on our way out. Both are picked due to great free camping. One we'll just camp cause it's like perfect then move to the riding spot after breakfast, the other is the perfect camp/ride combo.

[​IMG]

I even monitor weather and snow pack. Got down to 23' in Gunny last night :evil
    Snow pack is not as big a thing in Idaho as it is in CO in June and it gives us an idea of what is rideable and what isn't due to snow.

[​IMG]

It's this level of detail that greases the wheels and allows us to run efficient.
    Hope you enjoyed this lesson in large scale expedition planning :norton
  16. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    I'm over bird and sunrise vids, ready to make some braaap vids!

17. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    If you find yourself in north idaho definitely check out canfield mountain trails in coeur d alene. Also, good beers in that town, and a super nice downtown.
    Colemanfu likes this.
  18. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Love the suds intel and lot's of stoke surrounding that area & Senior @Milkweed 's jam right there! :deal

[​IMG]

Just don't think we'll make it that far north but ya never know. May have too cause it's a recurring suggestion??? I honestly haven't even done the mileage to there from Boise? But looks like our kind of place!

And it's starting to get close and aside from the drive home (after a summer of stoke) the final lead up is the hardest part of the trip.
    I'm just ready to bust out. Work sucks cause I can't work and the stupid heat is back so I'm not as content staring as the back yard and drinking beer as I was when the temps were lower and humidity not pinned.

Upside is that Mama Manfu is a go and shit is starting to open up out west! :happay

[​IMG]

Now let's not forget that real rock star of the trip - The Coleman Van! :super

[​IMG]

My first 2 summers were spent with the 4Runner, and I wasn't asked a single time for a tour!:norton
    I also could not stand up inside, cook inside, shit inside, carry loads of gear, and certainly didn't get 20 miles a gallon! Loved it, great dependable rig but my needs evolved beyond an SUV.

[​IMG]

Just a few tweaks to the van to make it more livable or functional for our specific needs. As you gain experience you gain knowledge and we have it pretty well sorted. We also try to imagine the van in it's different uses. Like going down the road, day camp and set up for sleeping. We fold open the bed at night and that limits the access to under bed storage and the drawers. We've learned to set stuff out before we make the bed which eliminates a lot of frustration. It also always felt like I had the right pieces of kit but just not stored efficiently or felt like a last second addition. Like the way I would tuck gallons of water randomly or how I would position the trash can them someone move it. Little shit like that.

One sticking point was always water. I'd have an average of 10-12 gallons onboard at any give time. 7 in a big old jug and the rest of the water jugs just floating around including a case of bottled water.

Now we have running water for human consumption .... kind of :evil

[​IMG]

We're starting out with a 3 gal size but at any grocery stop upgrade to a 5?
    For going down the road it tucks neatly in the rear corner cause I moved the trash can already :fpalm
    And when we get to camp we can set it up on the feeding station or dresser?
    Past trips we used a 2 gallon square type that has the build in pull/push dispenser at the bottom but I always worried about those leaking or tipping over.

[​IMG]

I'll still carry the big 7 gal that we fill up at any free water station but that's just for showering and non drinking stuff.
    It's bulky to move around, has a slight drip, and when full and not as easy to use as the new pumper.

[​IMG]

We'll continue to run the dish/had washing water on the rear of the hauler. This has to be my all time fav! Sooooo convenient, we even leave a little soap dispenser and sponge tucked back there for washing dishes and your dirty dick beaters!
    Always fun to see peoples reaction when they see us washing up out back like proper dirtbags! :confused

[​IMG]

And the mandatory bug nets are up and in their final position. I tucked em under the trim for a nice clean look! :wink:
    It's Benz and all... got to keep it classy :flip
    [​IMG]

Yea, mandatory. These are made out of an old Ikea bed net that I cut up and tucked under the trim and a few tactically placed magnets. A life saver at camp when the bugs are out :deal

[​IMG]

And a few little things....
    I replaced the 3 screw anti wobble deal that came with the Versa Hauler. This new piece from E Trailer is stout and feels like a better solution.
    Yes, that's a bottle opener, yes it's labeled :beer

[​IMG]

The same person that moves the trash can added a new rug...
    Same material as the old one, slightly larger and brighter :getiton

[​IMG]

And of course the shitter - added that before Alaska in 18. It's come in real handy a few times. Planning on using it much more to mitigate potential contamination in public restrooms. Even had a protocol talk with the boss on how it's going to be utilized. Also one of those items ya don't want to leave under the bed once it's folded out and made.

[​IMG]

This winter we upgraded the stove. This little sucker boils water fast and runs on 2 different fuel sources!
    Should up my bacon game if that's even possible! :dllama:

[​IMG]

Last comfort item is a new 1500w inverter. Replaced a 750w if anyone is interested in taking over ownership? With the van running it should meet any power needs we have. Hard mounted to the back of the drivers seat base. We make coffee every single morning using a little 4 cup instant maker. The most exciting part is the ability to run the mini heater for a few min in the morning to take the edge off if needed.

[​IMG]

And a van stoke vid from 2019!

19. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    10 days!

I've been taking these quick shake down runs close to home. Just to make sure the bike is in order.
    Out on a bicycle ride I noticed what I thought looked like an entrance to a homeless camp in a multi block wooded area along the railroad tracks. I came back later on the moto and found a little quad trail but (no camp). I also found a massive set of loppers that some ding dong left in haste as they did some illegal landscraping dumping.
    Put the two together and you have the makings for some sweet outlaw single within a mile of Castle Cole! :rilla

I made the junior varsity mistake of putting my shades on the dash as I worked. I left the lid on and when it was time to run the freshly cut section I forgot about the shades. :doh

[​IMG]

I used the rear facing touch screen on the GoPro to watch the vid and identified the log that bounced the shades. Took a bit of time but the thought of replacing them Costas provided plenty of motivation :deal

Here's a 60 second vid clip of yesterdays effort. Gave me a chance to try out the new saw out in the field.

*side note - for reference the Colorado comments are a direct jab to the guys on FB that want GPS coordinates for trails or piss when folks shar the stoke. The running joke is that every sweet picture from out west has a caption clamming it's "Florida" or "Love these Florida trails" when it's clearly not FL. :amazon I described these as "Colorado but looks like Idaho" poking at it's highest level.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-sHCHBqr/0/2e17bf52/1920/i-sHCHBqr-1920.mp4

First I tried to build a little ramp to go over but the log was suspended up in the air. That and I wanted to use the saw :evil

[​IMG]

I intentionally include a few gatekeepers to discourage the quads :ksteve

[​IMG]

The land looks real low and guessing it's swamp during the wet season? But for now it's my super secrete single!
  20. Lurkerlou

Lurkerlou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m coming along for the ride again.

Thanks for posting and allowing us to join in.
    Colemanfu likes this.