1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Colemanfu's Idaho Dirt Bike and Brew Tour 2020

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Colemanfu, May 9, 2020.

1. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Some movement forward the last few days.

Got my stickers for both Colorado and Idaho. Very telling about the states. I miss when CO was just a simple sticker and I think that's what you get when you purchase it in person at the local vendors. But now over the phone or online ya get this big stupid green registration form that gets placed under a clear cover sticker? Idaho - just a little sticker with zero instructions.

[​IMG]

We also received some detailed maps from Bill Dart for areas I'd like to ride. I like that they list level of difficulty as well as dirt, Jeep, single, atv, non motorized, and my favorite - needs work :loco

[​IMG]

I spend a little time everyday studying at the desk and still feel very underprepared?
    And that's a little mini USB charged fan that's going to be nice for the van to more air around the windshield area.
    And that's a beer I got on sale at Publix :evil

[​IMG]

And Mama Fu added a shad structure or poor man's awning. She's clearly more interested in setting up camp than I am. Most places I don't even pull out a camp chair. Not her.

[​IMG]

It's design intention is for the back of an SUV so we run the opposite direction and attach it to the van with some stout Ram suction cups I have for the GoPro.

[​IMG]

Still figuring it out. This effort it was set up inside out :fpalm
    Also need to sort a clean way to keep that wall up for maximum maintain airflow.
    If I took the time to attach it to the roof is could provide some coverage during light rain but it's intent is purely shade.

[​IMG]

And safety reminder yesterday and the closest I've come to crashing the van. And by crashing I mean totaling the van.
    Sorry no vid. But proper code brown.
    On our way home from the beach, I almost rear-ended a car that stopped abruptly for a shit head that decided to turn at the last second - convertible Vet. @motomike14 at the entrance to Snack Jacks :norton
    So the Vet slammed on the brakes (after he missed the entrance) to turn left forcing the VW in front of us to make a rapid stop.
    I was daydreaming when my wife yelled getting my attention! Chain reaction deal and I pressed that fat peddle hard and evaded to the right shoulder to avoid contact. I stopped about equal with the rear doors of the VW and so close I could touch em. My fault, I should have been paying attention and glad I was following at a safe enough distance to avoid disaster.

A serious reminder of how fast things can change.

[​IMG]

This time next week we'll be waking up outside St. Louis! :clap
  2. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny coincidence, my moms 94 Sentra got rear ended by a wanker not paying attention in same situation at exact same spot heading south on A1A twenty something years ago. I remember going to Snack Jacks when it was cash only!
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  3. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

No, not a Sentra! Please tell me that it survived. :(

1800050_10201689715746881_325785757_o.jpg
    DaveBeezy likes this.
  4. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Close call on the FUvan. :zilla
  5. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    It did survive! About 2 years after that it had another rear end from asshat on I95 on a cell phone. Survived that one too. Funny my family went on a 90s Nissan kick; hard body pickup, frontier, Sentra, 200SX se-r, all came through our driveway until about 2004 when parents needed full size pickups for their daily endeavors.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Careful with that Fu-mobile..:-)
    Colemanfu likes this.
  7. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Who you tellin! :deal

I bet a brewski I picked this up on my little evasive maneuver???:fpalm

[​IMG]

The TPI light came on as I was pulling the van in last night. Passed the kick test so got some real date with the gauge. The rear passenger side was 10 low. I have a plug kit from the Alaska trip but in all honesty I think it this happened in a remote location I'd just screw it in and roll the dice. :hmmmmm

But since the driveway is within 5 miles of Discount Tire......
    They scoffed at the plug idea and since the tires had 2.5 years and 40,000 some miles on em…….

It was $280 bucks for two matching rear tires - that don't match my front tires. Cause my tires were discontinued????

[​IMG]

It's hard to resist putting some chunky 33's but I'm in love with getting solid fuel efficiency. :raabia
    I'm anticipating 7-8,500 miles in the 8 week run.
    These are a different brand but matched pretty good pattern wise.

[​IMG]

4 days till launch.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Close enough for sure and it should be just fine.. At least with new rubber on the road you’ll be good to go for your trip.
    Ginger Beard and Huzband like this.
  9. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Final 2 days before launch and plenty to do, I feel nervous. But a good nervous like before a big match, a match with consequences. And I like that feeling, that feeling of when something is on the line and it's time to step up. As an athlete and now a coach I've got a lot of experience with intentionally putting myself in stressful situations. Now as just a coach I love seeing people step up when needed. That's the difference between the good and the great.
    We have an expression within the team - "Hero Time". Never look at your watch when a player asks ya what time it is! Cause they ain't lookin for the actual clock time ha.

[​IMG]
    Winning is cultural, it's also addictive. That same taste of success drives me to put in the effort it takes to maximize experiences like The Tour.

Glad to get the moto sorted early so now we can focus on the van. It got a deep cleaning the other day and now it's all about packin.
    Not only is the van our vessel to travel but it's also our lodging. Lodging for 2 adults and a dog or in reality lodging for the dog...……. and two adults. Here's a look at the van with the bed opened up with freshly washed bedding. Today I'll start packing under the bed. Food, tools, gear, electronics. I'll even put the hauler on this afternoon in prep for loading the machine up Friday.

[​IMG]

Keeping it safe! :beer

[​IMG]
  10. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    Pack well, but even if you forget to pack the thingamabob you can always find one somewhere....:D
    Have fun up north!:clap
    twowheeledgator likes this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I'm unreasonably exited to watch this unfold! :lol3
    DaveBeezy and dwrobin like this.
  12. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  13. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    You and me both! :deal
    And I appreciate the support from you inmates. This shit ain't easy! It think the biggest toll is paid by the inner circle that worries about our safety. And in effort to settle my mom and to celebrate her last round of chemo (yes cancer during a pandemic :baldy) I made her ribs!

[​IMG]

*Do not click link if you are hungry or a vegetarian!
    https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-bfjpFhw/0/7793204b/1920/i-bfjpFhw-1920.mp4

Kind of shit weather yesterday with all the rain. Good day for a smoke and indoor packing. When it finally let up I got the hauler on. Hauler, table, tailgate.

[​IMG]

4 locking pins means lot's o crap!

[​IMG]

I also move the tag to the way back and yank the tag holder to clean it up some. This view shows the detail of the table from the underside. It's off set to the drivers side allow me room to load up the machine (from the passenger side). The tag holder is just a rectangle of diamond plate held on with metal hose clamps. To maintain legality it's even got little lights to illuminate the tag at night. It's got a few hangers on the bottom for... you guessed it - hanging stuff!

[​IMG]

I''m really diggin these little USB chargable mini fans! One protocol on travel days is the ABC rule - always be charging! The van is a big ol diesel generator and we take advantage of the power by charging as we're rolling as opposed to draining the batteries when parked. Today we'll top off every consumable electronic from power bricks to lighting to our new mini fans.

[​IMG]

And a look at under bed storage. Stuff closest to the feeding station is easy to get to no matter the position of the bed. That's where the coffee maker, canned goods, plates, the pan, and lava lamp nest. Mama added the second level for veggies and stuff (currently holding paper towels). I made a little rail on the one side and it rests on the cans on the other and has the ability to slide. I try not to clutter this premium space up too much and it's constantly evolving depending on stuff we're using a lot.
    If the item is a back up or rarely used it's goes deep under the bed and the most used shit stays at the forefront.

[​IMG]

One interesting added item is a bag of shells that lives under drop down table by the sliding door......
    [​IMG]

There's 2 more stashed under the bed. I've learned from experience that small gestures of gratitude go a long way and can enhance the travel experience.
    Our little gift from Florida are seashells! And if I'm feeling frisky :bmwrider I'll offer to pay you with shells like I'm some kind of fur trader duping the indigenous people with beads and shiny things. :loco

In Whitehorse Yukon I noticed a fell with a Hawaiian shirt at the brewery. I randomly gave him a few shells and told him how cool it was to see such a tropical shirt so far up north. That small gesture and comment led to a proper session with him and his crew (that included a few smoking hot young Canadians) and the sharing his favorite camp spot - thanks Jack Carrol!

Skip to 3:33 to see camping with Jack! Keep in mind this was filmed midnight, 2 days before the longest day of the year. The sun never fully sets that far north and just dips and moves along the horizon for a few hours before rising back up in the sky. Weird shit indeed!

rider1150gsadv likes this.
  14. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
  15. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Safe travels!

Where's our update? We need details and pictures!
  16. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Solid shift, super easy with a co driver. Hard part was letting the co driver pee in the van.

IMG_3306.jpg

This kind of days will not be the norm. And I assured the weary co driver. It’s 8 some hours to a winery in KS that hosts self contained travelers!

IMG_3308.jpg

Here’s the mileage from our second tank of $2.00 diesel. 26 gallon tank, most runs are a bit over 400 miles, German engineers made the reserve light come on with a conservative 6 gallons. After 475 miles I GasBuddy.

IMG_3293.jpg

Sunset in Illinois.

IMG_3301.jpg

Oh yea, customized the windshield in the first 100 miles. The lower chip was an Alaska souvenir.

View attachment 2353314
  17. Milkweed

Milkweed It's not me, it’s the bike.

Oddometer:
    Fleming Island, Florida & Coeur d’Alene, ID
    59C662A0-3435-4008-93D5-4793CCA15DD5.jpeg
    I’m way ahead of you dude! Crossed the Rio Grande gorge west of Taos (Hwy 64 is awesome) and am now camping with wifey and kitty near Durango. On to Moab tomorrow, then plan to ride the new TAT route for a few day towards Idaho. May see you somewhere in Idaho this summer.
    KirkN, rider1150gsadv and Huzband like this.
  18. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Philip Kuntz likes this.
  19. Philip Kuntz

Philip Kuntz Fleasy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels Fu. Looking forward to reading along...oh and pics.:D
  20. Colemanfu

Oddometer:
    Day one ended at a rest area in the dark in O’Fallen IL that positioned us for a 20 mile run into St.Louis in the morning. No glam but convenient.

IMG_3311.jpg

Day 2 was 9 hour run to Shilo Winery in Wakeeney KS. A Harvest Host site. Free camping but someone snatched up $95 in wine and cheese!

IMG_1585.jpg

No traffic worries on this leg. Easy drive in those terms but the most wind I’ve ever experienced. Mileage dropped down to high 18’s. We got almost 21 the previous tank. There having some type of irregular wind event? We tucked in next to the barn, enjoyed drank wine, cooked sups, and no lie had the best night of sleep I can remember. That good night of sleep was 100% freedom induced!

IMG_3370.jpg

Pretty much dead nuts middle!

IMG_3380.png

Today we’ll make the 120 mile push to the border of CO, down to The Springs and finish up in Buena Vista our favorite CO town. Projected low temp 34’!!!!