College Football 2015

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bubwheat, Jan 7, 2015.

1. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    Richt is the Jimmy Carter of the SEC football fraternity. A good man to be sure.
  2. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Not so, he thinks a lot about Texas.
  3. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Hey Sark, this Bud and codeine chaser's for you.
  4. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Well damn, ya got me there. :lol3
  5. k7

Oddometer:
  6. k7

Oddometer:
    I wore an Auburn polo shirt to work today. When someone gave me a hard time, I told them I had to wear it early in the season....while Auburn is still undefeated. :1drink

WDE.
    The_Commander likes this.
  7. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    saw this in the WSJ today. I'm sure Auburn isn't the only one........

At Auburn, Athletics and Academics Collide

first 4 paragraphs for sample.....
    In 2013, Auburn University’s curriculum review committee took up the case of a small, unpopular undergraduate major called public administration. After concluding that the major added very little to the school’s academic mission, the committee voted to eliminate it.

But according to internal documents and emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, the committee’s decision was ultimately overruled by top administrators after it met significant opposition from another powerful force on campus: Auburn’s athletic department.

In addition to meeting with the school’s provost to urge him to spare public administration, the documents show, top athletic officials also offered to use athletic department funds, if necessary, to help pay its professors and support staff. Gary Waters, Auburn’s senior associate athletic director for academic services, wrote in an email in January 2013 that athletics had made “similar investments in academic programs during the last few years,” although in those cases, he added, “it has not been publicized.”

In the fall semester of 2013, more than half of the roughly 100 students majoring in public administration were athletes, records show, including nearly all of the top stars on the Auburn football team, which would win the Southeastern Conference title and play in the national-championship game. “If the public administration program is eliminated, the [graduation success rate] numbers for our student-athletes will likely decline,” a December 2012 internal athletic department memo said.

8. k7

Oddometer:
    No - say it ain't so.... some athletes aren't really in school for an education? Oh the huge manatee. :lol3 They must have already removed "Artistic Basket Weaving".

Riddle me these batman:

Q: Why did Charles Barkley leave school as a junior?
    A: He was academically ineligible to continue at Auburn. Dude's GPA was horrible. ​
    Q: What does Bo Jackson, Cam Newton and Caddilac Williams have in common beside their football record?
    A: They all returned to Auburn after football to complete their education.
    FWIW, here are the Princeton ranking for every school - http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/academic-ratings-for-every-sec-school/

IIRC, you're a Florida graduate? Congrats - very good school!
  9. ScottDill

Oddometer:
    I don't think it's just Auburn ..... Hell, I know it's a good school. Probably where I would have gone if I was from Alabama instead of Florida.

These fake programs and degrees do cheapen the perceived value of the diplomas though IMHO.

Everyone gets so worked up when it's their school that gets called out. :rofl

Emmit Smith came back to UF to complete his degree too because he promised his Mamma he would..... Of course he wasn't thrown out of anywhere for criminal behavior first :augie.

I always admired Bo Jackson BTW. Hell of an athlete and comes off as a decent guy. We played every year back then and I think Florida had the upper hand during his playing days though.
  10. k7

Oddometer:
    You would be correct - Auburn lost three to Florida during the Bo Jackson years. They had his number.

Let me crank up the 'way-back' machine - a moment I'll never forget for a few years later. We were celebrating my daughter's birthday with her friends at a "chucky cheese" kind of place in Norcross GA but I got to see this on a tiny, tiny portable Sony TV that I had purchased during the '91 Braves "worst to first" run for use when I went to the NLCS and World Series.

"It wasn’t the last time fans heard Fyffe yell that phrase. Probably the second most memorable “Nix to Sanders” call came the next year when Auburn played No.1 Florida in the hostile environment of the Swamp of Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. - See more at: http://trackemtigers.com/great-mome...nix-to-sanders/#sthash.5je6xdvX.l3PmKe8l.dpuf

With 30 seconds to go in the game, Sanders made another acrobatic catch, leaping between two defenders to pull down Nix’s eight yard pass for a touchdown giving the No. 6 Tigers’ the upset win over No.1 Florida 36-33." - See more at: http://trackemtigers.com/great-mome...-history-nix-to-sanders/#sthash.5je6xdvX.dpuf

[​IMG]

Frank was drafted by the Cardinals and I'd run into him occasionally at a grocery store near our house. I seem to recall that he still lives in the area also. Another nice guy.
  11. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    I never would have guessed that aTm would be in the bottom half. I mean what the hell, Ole Piss is higher. :lol3

As for Arkansas, I know when I was going to school here, a lot of the athletes were majoring in industrial arts. I think it was nothing but shop classes. :photog
  12. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. ScottDill

Oddometer:
    What's amazing is that according to those stats, UTwest's offense was even worse than UF's over the last 5 years!!!!! Though it does show Florida going over the cliff the last two....
  14. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:

It is interesting as USNews rates aTm pretty high. Much higher than most other SEC schools. Not saying those are correct rankings by any means but I think for the vast vast majority of rankings systems it is garbage in/garbage out.

As most here know large state universities are diverse places most have majors and concentrations that are excellent and even a "poor" school may have an area or two of elite. Conversely "top universities" can have majors or colleges that are fairly mundane or easy.

It has been done for ever, but too many athletic departments funnel their "scholar athletes" into these easy (Auburn- public admin, UNM bachelor university studies) or frankly fraudulent programs like UNC's African American studies. That an athletic department is willing to fund a program should send off huge red flags to the academically interested side of the school. If I were a Provost or University President, that would almost guarantee an "academic" programs death.
  15. k7

Oddometer:
    Fortunately, if the new dean of that school is to believed, that offer weren't connected to his decision. He came in after the fact and the discussion to kill the program was around issues in resourcing instructors to teach it. Once that was resolved, he made the decision to continue it. One other interesting fact - the professor supposedly quoted in the WSJ claims that his remarks were taken out of context. Gee - who would could have imagined that?

Link - the guy who wrote this isn't by any stretch, an "Auburn homer". That's my job. :ksteve

"As the new dean, I was willing to provide the necessary resources to continue this major," Aistrup told AL.com in an email Thursday. "I had a meeting with the new chair of political science and the program director of public administration. At that meeting, I asked if hiring a lecturer in political science would help to alleviate the burden. They indicated it would, and thus supported continuing the program."

Aistrup was hired away from Kansas State University and started his appointment Sept. 1, several months after the athletics department expressed the desire to keep the program alive and also offered to subsidize the program, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal.
    And

Update (5:05 p.m.): Gryski told AL.com he "used the words," but they were "reconstructed" in the article. "It was very disappointing to me," he said.

Gryski, who retired in December following 32 years with the university, said the program could potentially be suspended for several years following the committee's recommendation, but it was never set to be killed. The primary concern within the department was the amount of resources (faculty and staff) for the curriculum, which Aistrup reviewed and improved upon his arrival in September.

"It seems there's an implication there that these kids are getting a free ride or something, and there was nothing said about that in the (Journal) article," Gryski told AL.com. "And as I told you, it's a great program. Some of the graduates from the program were considered for Rhodes scholarships and that sort of thing. One of them was a recent [Student Government Association] president, for example. I had some of my best faculty in that program. I never had an academic concern about it. If I did, I would have done something about it."​
  16. k7

Oddometer:
    All of the college football "experts" here and this is the best we can do? Surely, we can get more players that this.

17. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michigan will be improved. Like it or not.
  18. ScottDill

Oddometer:

Anything that keeps Meyer form a having another free ride type schedule....I'm all for :freaky

He's got a machine running in Columbus right now and nothing in his way.
    Albie likes this.
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    +1, I was kinda hoping Franklin might put some life back into PSU as well.
  20. k7

Oddometer:
    From Football Down South -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Albie and The_Commander like this.