College Football 2020

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bubwheat, Jan 17, 2020.

1. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Golding got the benefit of the doubt last year with all the injuries, but there’s no excuse this year. He has this defense playing like they’re lost.
    gulfcoaster likes this.
  2. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Well that was fucking embarrassing, pardon my French. Hats off to kiffin, he made golding and a bunch of 4 and 5 stars look like a high school squad, and he did with much less talent.

Edit: apparently I’m not the only one. :photog
    CB22F547-86E9-4645-8CCC-44AF90C692B9.jpeg
    832CB2FC-FC2A-4781-B565-A6E09A6A5C7B.jpeg
    :rofl
    gulfcoaster and Joe Shimano like this.
  3. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time to just go ahead and make Charlie Strong the DC.
  4. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    “We have........... Florida, in this room!”
    :photog

k7, Huzband, ScottDill and 2 others like this.
  5. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was a fun weekend in the SEC.

Now I'm enjoying a Braves team that looks like a return to the Maddox, Glavine and Smoltz days.
    RidingDonkeys and gulfcoaster like this.
  6. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    The fried kid looks and throws a lot like glavine. Except with a 98 mph fastball.
    gulfcoaster and Grreatdog like this.
  7. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    He really does remind me of a young Glavine. That's what got me thinking of those days.
  8. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Great times. I had just moved to ATL when their run began. I even got tickets to the NL playoffs and the world series in '92.
    Who else remembers Sid Breem, rounding third, like a young-but-severely-crippled Usian Bolt? :imaposer

We were directly in-line with third base but w-a-y up high. My dad was still alive and of course, I took him to the games with me. Most of the games didn't start until at least 8 pm and ran so late. We were like zombies in the office. The city was on-fire of the Braves!

And for those not young enough to remember, here's the entire bottom of the ninth inning:

A friend was the travel guy for the Pirates and flew back to Pittsburgh with the team. He said it was the quietest flight he'd ever been on.
  9. Grreatdog

Oddometer:
    That was an awesome decade after rooting for the misery known as the Braves all my young life.
    gulfcoaster and k7 like this.
  10. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    You and me both. My love of the Braves goes all the way back to Hank Aaron, Tommy Aaron, Dusty Baker, Darryl Evans and. of course, Phil Niekro. A big weekend for us was going to Atlanta where we stay in a real hotel, a rarity, just outside of GA Tech. We'd hit Six Flags during the day and then, go to a game that night. Big, big fun.

Later, when I worked in Atlanta in 1982-3 and then from 91-95, I'd always manage to catch a game or two and of course, with TBS, I could always count on watching the Braves while traveling for work.

Now, I really don't follow them but, once we relocate to Oak Bowery AL, we'll probably take in a few games again and I'll follow them more closely.
    gulfcoaster likes this.
  11. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    I watched every televised game that season, it was truly beautiful baseball. I grew up listening to my grandad curse at Rafael Ramirez booting a ball at short and at dale murphy fir chasing a slider 3’ outside in the dirt. They lived in douglasville so were only a few minutes from six flags and not much farther to fulton, so I know the kind of fun you’re talking about. Great stuff.

I went to game 2 of that WS against the twins, which was a one run braves loss. I still consider that the greatest World Series of my lifetime despite the outcome. And I still, after all these years, 80s in Atlanta, late 90s when we were in San Diego, have never seen the braves win in person. :lol3
  12. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good ol' Fulton County Stadium. Went to a bunch of games in the 90's. I grew up 2 hrs from ATL, and we'd go a few times a year when I was a kid. You weren't kidding about being w-a-y up high. We sat behind home plate one time only a few rows from the top. You couldn't tell what was fly ball to second base or a home run to dead center. What sucked was Mom would never let us miss a day of school. Many nights sleeping on the drive back home, and dragging ass in school the next day. Had a blast though.

The new stadium is a lot of fun. Lots of places to eat and drink around there. Also a Hampton Inn within walking distance if you want to make a weekend out of it.
    k7 likes this.
  13. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Hey, they won the nl west in 82, Brett Butler, Claudell washington, Bob Horner, Bruce Benedict, dale murphy, was a good team. Of course the rest of the 80s were terrible but that one year was a great year!

Pasqual Perez was one of my favorite players growing up, the greatest game of my youth.

k7 and Grreatdog like this.
  14. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    My first game at fulton Brett Butler led off with a triple off the outfield fence right in front of where we were sitting. Johnny bench was managing the reds, and he gave us a wave and thumbs up when we called out “hey Johnny”. Good times.
    k7 and gulfcoaster like this.
  15. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    Fuck baseball.
    Tnwineseller and phideaux like this.
  16. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    To bring it back to football, the early 90s was a great time for a braves and Bama fan.

the inaugural.

k7 and gulfcoaster like this.
  17. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    Wasn’t 1982 the year they started off winning 10 or 12 games in a row to start that season? I was at the game that broke the then-standing record! That was wild!

At the end of the ‘92 or ‘93 season, we were in the first row of the upper deck right behind home plate. Jeff Bauser hit a foul ball. I had my daughter in my lap. She was 3 or 4 at the time. When I realize the ball was headed our way, I slid her off of my lap to my wife. I stood up to catch the ball and as it landed in my hands the guy standing next to me put his hands around mine.

His buddy started to say something along the lines of “you guys should flip for it”. When I realized what he was saying, I just simply push my hands straight up effectively capturing the ball myself. At 6’2”, I’ve got a nice reach.

The next year, I caught Jeff at an autograph session and got him to sign it. He said, “that looks like a game used ball”. I told him “yes in fact you fouled it to me and I caught it” on the last day of the previous season. He just laughed and said good catch. I still got that ball around here somewhere. It has no real value but it means something to me.
    RidingDonkeys and gulfcoaster like this.
  18. gulfcoaster

gulfcoaster Long timer

Oddometer:

That's awesome. Jeff Bauser is a name I haven't heard in a long time.
  19. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    What's the odds for the Canucks winning the cup next year?
  20. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:
    Same as they always are. Somehow, even if they had the three top lines in the NHL, they would find a way to not win it.