Colombia Feb 2021

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by J4465, Feb 19, 2021.

1. J4465

J4465 n00b

Oddometer:
    First attempt at editing together GoPro footage. Learned a lot, and hope to improve on the next!

I'm what you call a "re-entry" rider - rode motocross when I was a teen, then had a sportbike early 20's. I lost touch with riding as I was building my career, and now that I have discovered the ADV segment I'm all about it!

This was my first out-of-country ADV ride -

Thanks for looking:

2. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your video very much. You covered a lot of things I have not seen there and the video brings it to life very well. The hostel in Sonson was familiar since I was there in December. The place was crawling with cowboys when I was there and I liked the food at “Happy Burger” near the hostel.
  3. J4465

J4465 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words! I'm still learning Adobe Premier, but I have plenty of time to practice before the next trip. I'll be doing Iceland in July if all goes well with travel there, so I'll be posting another later this year.

Colombia was a beautiful country! What I loved best is how laid back they are!
    knight and Champe like this.
  4. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    cool, thanks for sharing
  5. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done @J4465! Looks like a fantastic ride, nice job cutting the footage together. Being a Premiere hack, I know how much time it takes to sift through clips and get something edited.

When you have time, you should post up some details on the trip. Bike rentals, destinations chosen, places visited, best memories, etc. And definitely pictures.

Welcome to the addiction man. If you make it out west, let me know - thousands and thousands of miles to explore when you get west of the Rockies :D
  6. J4465

J4465 n00b

Oddometer:

Thanks! I actually am trying to plan something out west now. I'm thinking either the Utah, Idaho or Colorado BDR. I think I'll rent a bike, since shipping one and dealing with all of that doesn't seem to yield a whole lot of savings. Any tips would be appreciated! I'm looking at May for a trip out west.

I have to sort through my pictures for sure, but I mostly took footage with the GoPro. For anyone wondering, I found Ricardo (my guide and bike rental) through RideADV.com

I loved that 790 Adventure R - so much so that I am looking one for myself now.

Highlights - Def climbing to one of the highest points possible by trail in the Andes. Pics and video could never do justice to the beauty of those mountains. (esp with the clouds moving around them!) On our 6th day we had a lot of road to cover, and we were all pushing the bikes pretty hard in the corners and having a blast. What I liked about Colombia was nothing ever really repeats! Here in the states you can pull off a highway or road and it's all the same shit. (Dunkin, Arbys, whatever)

Lessons Learned: I had a Rev'it Sand 3 suit, and I found it to be an awesome set of gear. With the vents open I was still comfortable, even when it was pushing 100. However, I just don't understand the rain liner. Storms come up on you fast, and at no point did I feel like stopping on the side of the road and taking off my jacket and pants in order to put my rain liners in. It's just easier to carry a rain overcoat that you can slip on quick.
    RhinoVonHawkrider and knight like this.
  7. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're looking at May, I'd suggest Utah; Colorado and Idaho will still have lots (and lots) of snow in the upper elevations. Maybe not southern Idaho, but definitely up north. The passes in CO won't be passable until July/August if the snow continues to fall this spring.

Looks and sounds like a fantastic trip man. Colombia is on my bucket list, as is Ecuador and other South American countries. I'd actually like to just head south from home and ride to Ushuaia like so many others have. I think I will, but it'll be ~10 years before I'm able to do so (need to get my boys off to college).

Look forward to seeing any pics you post.
    RhinoVonHawkrider likes this.
  8. scurry0

scurry0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What, if any, Covid restrictions were in place?. I don't see any masks. Who/ where did you rent the bikes from? Thanks for putting this up.
    Nice re entry to motos.
  9. J4465

J4465 n00b

Oddometer:
    All areas of Colombia required a mask indoors - even the remote villages. Aside from that, there were no restrictions. (Apparently I had just missed an 8pm city curfew, although that wouldn't have affected my trip much)

You can rent the bikes from Ricardo at https://www.epicomotoadv.com/ - awesome guy and he keeps his bikes pristine.

The only other thing that was a PITA was getting a COVID test with 72 hours of my flight TO and FROM Colombia. I used a service called "Lets Get Checked" - they sent me a home test kit that you use on webcam with their staff, and the results are guaranteed before your departing flight. In Colombia they allow rapid testing, so the day before my flight we scheduled a nurse to come to my hotel and give me a test. (results within the hour) Again, a slight PITA but well worth it.
  10. scurry0

scurry0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I was in Ecuador in Jan and the same protocols in place except almost everybody is wearing masks
  11. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great video! Looked like a good trip with lots of views in the mtn roads.
    J4465 likes this.
  12. swdirtrider

swdirtrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip. We just did Ecuador in January. Looks like Columbia will need to be on the short list too. Thanks for the rental info. It’s nice to get first hand experience from others. That was a great video, it’s fun to see other people’s trips and how they compile all their video footage. I’m doing the same with all of mine right now. I know how time consuming and tedious it can be, so thanks for sharing. If you guys want another South America trip, throw Ecuador on the list.
    J4465 likes this.
  13. J4465

J4465 n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's def on the list as well. I'm thinking next winter I will return to South America!
  14. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice video! Saw a lot of new places I have yet to see in Colombia yet, it is truly moto heaven down there. I can’t get enough of that place, thanks for sharing.
    Pete_Tallahassee and J4465 like this.
  15. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you post your route???
  16. J4465

J4465 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll see if I can get ahold of the gpx files - I thought I had them in my Rever but I do not.
  17. michaellmcc

michaellmcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done! Looking into going to Colombia next month.

Your river crossing reminded me of ours between Guatemala and Mexico.

Keep it dry!

Mike
    J4465 likes this.
  18. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great Video

This video just reinforces my plans to ride Colombia!

Thanks for sharing!!
    J4465 likes this.