Colombia, great Rides, Parking, Dangers, cheap stays with parking

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by perilongo, Jan 12, 2020.

1. perilongo

perilongo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    two months ago I arrived in Bogota , Bought a 2020 Royal Enfield Himalayan so far I have driven more than 2500km Here are the things I have learned:

-Water- Safe to drink from the Tap in Medellin, Bogota, Bucaramanga, I didnt risk it on the coast.
    -Tolls- you dont pay, make your way to the Right of them and continue
    -Dangers of the country roads- Men will put metal cables up, sometimes with stringers attached, sometimes without in attempt to slow you down. I rev my engine and point the road ahead and they put the cable down. they want money but i didnt wait to see if they wanted more.

people like to ask you about your money here, and if you are alone. Whenever I stop I tell them im faster than my friends.

Help-
    Lots of help from Horizon unlimited community member (viajeros del sur) helped me get some equipment before I left Bogota
    https://viajerosdelsur.co/

Cartagena- Not safest ( had a friend loose a phone (retrieved) had another held at gun point)

from Colombia's capital to- Villa De LLeyva, a beautiful, safe drive putting you in a old Spanish colonial town with tourist prices.

San Gil - Steep hills with cobble stone roads in the adventure capital of Colombia, parked inside the living room of the airbnb, I was told it wasn't safe outside, no negative experiences .

Barichara!!!!!!!-
    Amazing colonial spanish town just a 30 min ride with some fun curves and amazing views. MUST SEE!!

*the ride from San Gil to Bucaramanga was amazing , truly a sight to see. amazing curves on hard Road, Amazing views that will have you pull over again and again. (try the sugar cane water with lemon on the side of the Road.)

Bucaramanga - Safest place ive ever been to in the country, amazing airbnb with parking Garage.

bucaramanga to Santa marta- mostly Flat, lots of construction on roads, bypass 100 cars and make your way to the front of the line 9 hour drive

Santa Marta- terrible traffic, shit drivers, taxi hit my bike while it was parked.

Park Tayrona- Beautiful camping, moto friendly, no vendors.,bumpy roads, NEGOTIATE price.

Minca- Amazing rides, incredible views, sharp curves!

Cartagena- Had to pay off the traffic police for driving into the old city, only electric motor scooter allowed.

"no Dar Papaya" keep your phone close, had to chase down a guy who jumped of the wall of the spanish walls, and threaten him to retrieve it. I got the phone, we went our separate ways.
    after 9 almost all the woman on the street are "working"

Rincon- beautiful beach and relatively safe.

PASO Nuevo- amazing place, Safe, spent 90mil COP for 5 days with all meals included and secure garage parking.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/co/bityn.en-gb.html

Turbo- Ghetto. if you must stay lock up your bike, not gringo friendly after hours.

Turbo -Medellin- 8 hrs.
    amazing drive on recently developed roads, you will enjoy fresh fruit from the source and passing all the cars at every road construction block.
    td63, Luis yllescas, knight and 5 others like this.
  2. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report, Perilongo. More detail please, when you have time.

Why did you pick a RE Himalayan ? I recently bought a KTM Duke 390 in Bogota and had all options open. The Himalayan was crossed off early partly due to this report on reliability ... https://advrider.com/f/threads/india-delhi-through-kashmir-on-a-royal-piece-of.649091/

I also felt that the 411cc Himalayan had the power of a 250 (24.5 hp) with the weight of a 650. What did you like about it and has your opinion changed ?
  3. perilongo

perilongo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    follow my youtube, I will be putting out an interview with RE medellin, detailing why and how.

in short= New, gorgeous , durable, included specs I needed,
    Champe likes this.
  4. perilongo

perilongo Adventurer

Oddometer:

this lady did alot of trips with the bike, Gave me some inspiration.

its dynamic, big tank, beautiful, specs i required stock, skid plate,etc.
    https://www.itchyboots.com/

follow me on here
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVeIzw1WBg9znGKvTIFF85A
    td63, Champe and knight like this.
  5. perilongo

perilongo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yamalama likes this.
  6. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are some good videos that you and Itchyboots post.

I see the point to the Himalayan. I think the riding style is a little different from my own. This may be one reason I usually ride alone on trips.

So tell us a little about how you bought your bike. How did Southern Travelers (Viajeros del sur) help you out ?

Also, how did you negotiate the price at Tayrona ? They wanted $71 from me at the entrance - for the afternoon. 50 for me, 10 for the bike, 8 to park it and $3 for insurance. And I am talking US dollars ( only cash accepted), not pesos.

Maybe you went by boat ? Not sure how that works.
  7. perilongo

perilongo Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. ALLMOSTHERE

ALLMOSTHERE Make to best of everything

Oddometer:
    Hola Perilongo I think your Himalayan is a good choice for Colombia I get pestered a lot on my F700 like how much does it cost
    I tell them its stolen I have done 35000 km since 2017 and I never get bored ,Bucaramanga Santander is the best riding I have found in Colombia and I live there every day is a awesome ride but you have to like dirt, heat ,cold and very large canyons IMG_0259.JPG IMG_3334.JPG
    oic likes this.
  9. ALLMOSTHERE

ALLMOSTHERE Make to best of everything

Oddometer:
    this is what I am up to right now I will be back in Santander in march fullsizeoutput_67f.jpeg
    oic likes this.
  10. perilongo

perilongo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    DUDE! SUPER DOPE! I love colombia but yes, santander has been my favorite