Colorado 500

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by GasGas300, Jul 1, 2009.

1. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a 5 day 750 mile ride taking in Dolores, Telluride, Ouray, Naturita, Moab and Mexican Hat ...including Black Bear , Hurricane, Imogene and California Passes .
    I've done the San Jaun area and Moab to Mexican Hat rides a number of times and each time I'm asked by people riding these areas for the first time...."what should I Expect?"
    I tell them, 75% of the ride is not extremely challenging, 15% of the ride is somewhat difficult and the last 10% is difficult but doable for the experienced rider.
    The trouble is you ride a lot of the not extremely challenging and somewhat difficult trails for 15 miles or so to get to the difficult trails and once there you have no bypass optio . It's either ride the 10% difficult section or backtrack 15 Miles on your own.

Attached Files:

cidi likes this.
  2. jwrover

jwrover Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :photog:photogThat's only 150 miles a day...What'a you do the rest of the day? :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    MountainsandRivers likes this.
  3. EbarDP48

EbarDP48 100.5 Octane

Oddometer:
    We enjoyed the views and took lots of photos. When you drive 2000 miles to ride an area, you don't want to rush through it so fast that you miss the area you're visiting. At 60 I still race motocross. I can go fast when I need to, but I also know that it's about the ride and not the destination.

116.jpg
    Merfman likes this.
  4. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Frankly I think it would be difficult for man and machine to last 5x 150 miles per day if you were pushing the distance or pace or riding gnar all the time. Something or somebody would get broken.
    How many people finish the Tour of Idaho T1? Not that many I don't think. A good solid dirt ride for 5 days in a row like you did is really good.
  5. jwrover

jwrover Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fair enough on the dirt days 5x 150. Living here I just tend to fly past the more mundane stuff and know that doing 150 miles a day doesn't get you very far. His path of travel from the San Juan's to Mexican Hat and Moab has a tone of fast road/improved dirt/forrest road type travel that I suppose for the unfamiliar is worth slowing to enjoy/explore.
    Most of us who live here bang out 150 miles to get to some of the fun and more remote trails/destinations. So to me 150 a day seems like he was just getting started each day.
    Merfman likes this.