Colorado Back Country Discovery Route

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by sloonam, Jul 1, 2018.

1. sloonam

sloonam n00b

Oddometer:
    I am riding this route with a group at the end of July. I understand there is a section of the route closed near the Cottonwood Pass area on section 3 to Buena Vista. Although there is an ALT Route identified south of Pitkin we noticed another route that turns east where the route comes through Tin Cup. The road starts out as CR267 and connects to another of other forest roads. Does anybody know anything about this route? It looks ok when viewing it by google earth....but I've been fooled before. We have 4 bikes and a side by side in the group.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
  2. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI

Rode that jeep roaf from tin cup to st. Elmo last week

I would not want to ride east side on a big bike fully loaded or not.

Of course your skill set may be better than mine

I rode it on a ktm 350 had no issues on a light bike

Scott
    sceep likes this.
  4. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
    Hi Sloonam;
    I just rode the COBDR last week. There are two "official BDR" alternate routes that bypass Cottonwood Pass. The route over Tincup is rocky and very difficult for big bikes. The easy alternate route takes back roads to Salida, up paved Monarch Pass to unpaved "Old Monarch Pass" to Wuanita Hot Springs. At Wuanita Hot Springs on the route picks up the standard track. Make sure to fuel up in Salida or Lake City (depending on direction of travel) as it's about 130 miles to the next available fuel. The easy alternate route GPS track download is available from the BDR website. The easy route is big bike and 2 up friendly. Please note, the route between Doyleville on highway 50 and highway 114 goes off on a two track in the woods. There is a HUGE Aspen tree blocking the trail on a tight area. Little bikes can go around fairly easily, big bikes not so much. See attached screen print of where the tree is down. You can bypass the downed tree just by staying on the county road.

Have fun!
    Pat
    BDR.JPG
  5. teamextreme

teamextreme Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious, how do you plan on having a SXS join you? From what I understand there are significant portions of the route that require plates. You don't show your location, but if you're out of state and live in a state that allows plating SXS's, that's not allowed here and the local popo won't be down with that.
  6. Hicountryrider

Hicountryrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also note that Weston Pass is closed due to a fire so you will need to take all pavement (BV to Leadville or Hwy 24 & 9 to Breckenridge, then I-70 and 24 back down to Leadville) or take Mosquito pass which is not really big bike friendly either IMO.
  7. sloonam

sloonam n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. We are coming from AZ and the side by side is street legal / plated / registered in AZ. ..... I think you're telling me that might not fly in certain portions of CO?
  8. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    only if ya get caught!
    :mulie
    norton(kel) likes this.
  9. sloonam

sloonam n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks...we have two DRZ400s, a KLR 650, and a KTM1190.....I'll let the guys on the bigger bikes know about this. Appreciate the info.
  10. sloonam

sloonam n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info...good to know.