Colorado BDR question

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Bowtech, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Bowtech

Bowtech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am considering riding down from Minnesota and doing the BDR route. I am wondering from those that have done it about how long a person should allow to do it, and if my 2015 1290 SA would be a good pick or a smaller bike like a 690 or 701? I would probably have to trailer a smaller bike because of the distance, which I really don`t want to do.
    Thanks
  2. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Suggests 6-8 days over in cobdr thread.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/next-in-the-bdr-series-cobdr.744112/
  3. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Larger bike = more challenge but doable if you are expierenced rider
    690/701 = lot of fun / total blast

I have ridden the COBDR on a Gs1150 & 690. Personally I would rather trailer the 690 than pound hundreds of miles on highways.
    randingo and shrederscott like this.
  4. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

690 is will be less fatigue and more enjoyable.

The big bike will do it .. just more work to ride
  5. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good rule of thumb for riding in the West.... Always ride the smallest lightest bike that will do what you need. If you need freeway comfort and carrying capacity, sure, take the big bike. But I’m betting you don’t need it and it then becomes a hindrance.
    shrederscott likes this.
  6. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good rule of thumb for riding in the West.... Always ride the smallest lightest bike that will do what you need. If you need freeway comfort and carrying capacity, sure, take the big bike. But I’m betting you don’t need it and it then becomes a hindrance.
  7. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll go a step further to define "experienced rider" in favor of taking the 1290:
    - Comfortable riding standing up
    - Understand the concept of momentum with a big bike
    - Evaluate your age/fitness level (11-14k elevation and you'll get winded easily especially when picking up the bike)
    - Have moderate experience riding rocky sections of off-road

I've been riding since 2013 and I don't know how to quantify my experience. There's guys with 30-40 years of experience who don't do more than dirt roads so are they more experienced to talk about this than I am? I like to state definitions :freaky

I didn't find the COBDR challenging except for some of the major 4x4 passes around Telluride. I did Imogene Pass instead of Ophir because I thought Ophir would be too easy, having done it years ago in a 4x4 (very pretty though). I have seen plenty of videos here of guys riding Ophir firmly planted on their butts, going at a slow jogging pace equivalent and struggling with rear wheel spin. Once you lose momentum at that pace, you're right on the cusp of stalling, which often happens and then *poof* a tip over. If that's you on the 1290 then reevaluate taking a smaller bike.

The other 85% of the COBDR is suitable for a Subaru and is high speed dirt roads and some fire roads. I would find that very boring on a 690/701. With that being said, I would find riding from Montana to CO very boring as well :D but that's the 1290's specialty. Kick it in cruise and go, right? There's definitely a great amount of satisfaction having everything you need on that one bike and relying only on that.
    Bowtech likes this.
  8. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent counterpoint. If you are good, the big bike would be fine. But I don’t need the stress, and I do need all the help I can get! Lol
    JohnnyWaffles and jjustj like this.