Colorado BMW HP2

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by PaleRider, Aug 28, 2005.

1. PaleRider

PaleRider gelande/strasse

Oddometer:
    Long Shot ...
    Saturday, August 27, 1330 (mountain)
    coming off of Cottonwood Pass, Gunnison County Road (???)
    between Taylor Dam & Almont

BMW HP2 sighting ... east bound to my west bound ... show yourself here

your bike rocks!

:thumb
  2. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    It could be Jimmy Lewis. Was there a KTM 950 too? His sidekick, Heather?
    Jim.
  3. PaleRider

Oddometer:
    no KTM, just a lone bike/rider ... had the tell-tale struts/bracing on the front beak, the hexagonal boxer twin, big ass forks, yadda ... I met him as he was straightening up coming out of a right-hander ... it was kind of cool seeing a bike I didn't yet think widely available making a run.
  4. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    I took a class with Jimmy and Heather a couple of months ago. Jimmy did the class with his HP2. I asked if I could sit on it and he said yes but I couldn't ride it. The bike felt great.
    Jim.
  5. PaleRider

Oddometer:
    cool ...

seeing one (HP2) move, coming out of a turn, under throttle, made me lust ... it was a very handsome, purposeful bike ...

on your earlier KTM950 pairing question ...

there was a KTM950 (gun metal gray variety) we met earlier along the same route, but the separation between the two didn't indicate they were riding together ... the KTM was on the west dirt approach to Cottonwood, the HP2 below the dam at Taylor Reservoir
  6. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    That's interesting. I was in the area on Sunday on my Africa Twin and my friend was on his Buell Ulysses. I'm not very familiar with the area but I remember we were 2 miles from Taylor Reservoir. Let see if I can recall the route: Colo Spgs, Woodland Park, Divide, Guffey, Salida, Hartsel, Trout Creek Pass, Johnson Village, Buena Vista (lunch), Cottonwood Pass, Tincup, Cumberland Pass, Pitkin, Sargents, Monarch Pass and back home via 50 and 115.
    370 miles with maybe a mixture of 50/50 paved and dirt. The AT did very well and the Buell did great but lacked a little in the suspension dept. in the bumpier dirt sections.
    Jim.
  7. PaleRider

Oddometer:
    yeppers, bike sightings were on Saturday ... I was in my 4x4 cage

... climbed Huron Peak on Friday and was going to grab another peak on Saturday but my partner (brother living the corp. fatKat midwest lifestyle) was beat up after summiting Huron ... we camped Friday night in the National Forest above Elmo (Tincup jeep trail) ... Saturday did the Cottonwood Pass/Crested Butte beer run ... camped on the west side of Monarch Pass on Saturday night and did the DIA shuttle via 285 on Sunday
  8. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    Was that you at the gas station in Buena Vista?
    That was me & my boy on the big black 1150 Adv. :evil

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94118

[​IMG]
  9. Jim Rowley

Jim Rowley Rise above

Oddometer:
    What a small world. I didn't know that was you. You don't look anything like that cartoon on one of your other threads. :lol3

Too bad I can't join you on your upcoming ride. My son is flying in from upstate NY for a 3 day visit. He's with the 10th Mtn. Div.

Jim.
  10. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talked to the CS BMW dealer and he said the HP2 wouldnt even get to the states till Sept?
  11. PaleRider

Oddometer:
    that's what I thought (or 2006 even) --- I swear that's what this bike was, a HP2 --- no question

stealth production model testing?

:dunno
  12. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A lot of pre-production model testing is done in CO. In the late 80's, Murgawife was a test driver for Audi. She drove the V8 Audi all over CO, both out in the plains and up Mt. Evans road, several months before they were introduced as production cars. :nod
  13. BigDave

BigDave Adventure Drummer

Oddometer:
    I knew I seen the pink lettering in the Africa Twin before....:lol2 Nice bike. :thumb I always thought the AT was just the right size for most of what we do.
  14. Infracaninophile

Infracaninophile Finding My Way..

Oddometer:
    I see test mule cars all the time. Just 2 weekends ago on Loveland pass we say several heavily disguises (black plastic panels, duct tape, etc..) test mules from Detroit. Lots of telemetry devices and laptops everywhere. When we got our camera out to snap a picture they hurriedly drove off. Kind of funny. Looked like a small crossover SUV but darned if I could figure out what it was. All distinguishing marks were covered.

You will routinely see these on Loveland Pass, Mt Evans Highway, and Pikes Peak Highway. Kind of neat.

Tom
  15. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I've seen test mules from Kia, Land Rover...the pre-release GL1800 - all up on the Squaw Pass Rd.
    We pulled in at the lodge by Echo Lake and I saw the Rover guys open the rear hatch of a rig, tons of electronic gear back there...

We saw a bunch of disguised econo-boxes out at Fairplay one day as well.
  16. Bake

Bake adventurer

Oddometer:
    That road is one of the most fun rides a person can make in Colorado, Taylor downhill to Almont. Like a video game or something, paved, narrow, zigging and zagging across the Taylor River, free range cows every now and then (or escaped! cows), Kayaks bobbing in the river, climbers on ropes on the cliffs to the right, fishermen in waders, trail bikers, 1150G/S er's, mountain bikers. It's not very long, like 25-30 miles, but is a ride to remember. That you saw an HP-2 there isn't surprisng, they are slowly appearing, are expensive, as is that area for people that live there, and would be in a dual sport heaven. Picture me extremely green in envy. I vacation in Buena most years as a basecamp, or Salida, and I didn't make it up this year. Correct that, mark me a sorry ass M/F for not making it. My friends have their 35 ft motorcoach parked a mile south of Mirror Lake, above Tincup, as we speak. Urg.
    Congrats on getting a ride on that piece of Earth at this time of year. Great choice.
  17. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've ridden an HP2 :D But it wasn't me on Cottonwood.

(around a parking lot in Baja)
  18. ADVMindset

ADVMindset Americana Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Living out east of Denver on the plains and commuting on I-70, i'm always seeing "Test Mules" some of the most interesting being the X-5 SUV diesels i saw a year ago or so, still wondering when they'll be on sale here in the states? Haven't been keeping up on my M/C stuff much lately. What's an HP2?
    Anyone know of an '05 K1200GS for sale in Colorado?
  19. Disquisitive Dave

Disquisitive Dave Not so wise fool

Oddometer:
    Don't miss your chance to drool on an HP2...

[from cotrailriders]

... I do have a fun hobby - selling BMW
    motorcycles at BMW of Denver. The HP2 is now available to be seen.
    The owner of this one was in today and agreed to leave it with us
    through our Wednesday open house (10/19/05 | 5:30-8pm). Come on out
    and see a 105hp dual-sport.
    Deward R. Knapp - CCS
  20. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northern Colorado BMW has theirs on the showroom floor today also.