Colorado Colors?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Scary Mc, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Scary Mc

Scary Mc hellgrammite Supporter

Oddometer:
    The wife has never been to Colorado... so I was thinking of taking a driving (she doesn't ride) tour in the truck w/ her in Sept. w/ some day hikes mixed in.
    Will the aspens be changing in the high country by mid-September?

Thanks- Scary
  2. moon

moon Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    They change at different times depending on the altitude. Mid to late September should be a good time.
  3. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    After quite a few midsummer and midwinter trips to Colo, I went to the last vintage races in Steamboat in about 1998 around the 21 September.

It was beautiful.

Many groves of golden aspen, more abundant at higher elevations, more as we went north, more as the days went by. The smell of approaching autumn was unmistakeable--a scent I'd missed since my early childhood in upstate NY--even though the afternoons were warm and the sun still powerful at midday.

It is a great time to be in Colorado, perhaps the best time of year. Bear in mind that I've come to like autumn more than spring. Wonder if that means anything--besides that it's bloody hot in Texas in the summer?
  4. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Mid September? Yes. One of the best trips I've ever taken was the weekend after Labor Day. There's a dirt road (high clearnace two wheel drive) pass between WestCliff and the northeast corner of the Great Sand Dunes National Monument. We got down into the Sand Dunes and it was blistering hot. Halfway up the mountain, the Aspen were at their peak. Up at the top of the Sangre de Cristos, the first snows were already accumulating. All three seasons in one picture. :):
  5. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    As of 8/11/02, Aspen in the high country (mostly above 10,000) are just starting to turn. 4 weeks from now should be peak (at some elevation )