Colorado OHV permit

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by derm75, May 1, 2019.

1. derm75

derm75 I'm a brother shamus...

Oddometer:
    5DC72744-9849-4855-8886-7CBA29E6C76B.jpeg I haven’t had an off road bike in a few years, but I just remedied that situation. I purchased an OHV permit online, but now that it’s here I don’t know what to do with it.
    Do I put the portion that says “ vehicle make: Honda” in the clear plastic sleeve and attach to the fork tube?
    Are the left three panels what I keep in my wallet/pocket while I’m on the bike?
    This doesn’t look like the picture on the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website.....

F8D6116E-4CCF-4604-91E8-5A3DE02E8704.png

Thanks in advance.
  2. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Still Lost

Oddometer:
    Dang, I just ordered one online. Subscribed... I’ll let you know if I receive something different.
  3. Moto Beak

Moto Beak Professional Amateur

Oddometer:
    I would recommend just keeping the top 4 panels in your wallet. This version never sticks to the bike properly and is just a hassle. Any ranger that will ask for it will be fine with that.
    CPAT likes this.
  4. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    The one you ordered is for a plated bike.
    The one you expected based on the 2nd picture is for non plated vehicles ( motos, atv, boats, etc).
    We used clear packing tape to affix the stickers to the plastics. Held up fine. One of the panels serves as the receipt and I keep that in my wallet all year along with my registration and insurance card.
    Pariahtize likes this.
  5. _CJ

_CJ Conservative Conservationist

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Rogue_Ryder and fixn2go like this.
  6. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    OK, similar situation. I received the green guy that goes under the clear sticker this week and was surprised becasue since 2013 t's always been just a sticker?
    I liked the year it was orange :evil

I called to confirm that I had received the correct deal.
    I was told that if you do it online you get the registration type deal that goes under the clear and if you call and order over the phone you get the sticker.

[​IMG]

I don't see this thing holding up to a summer of thrashing and not a big fan of all my info being out there like that.

So I put on my tinfoil hat and covered up all my intell with a strip of black tape :loco

In all my summers in CO I'v only been approached a single time - that was Brecktreck 15 and every operator was in compliance.
  7. derm75

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the responses everyone.
    I remembered my plated bikes having a sticker similar to the 2nd pic in my original post. Leave it to someone to make it more complicated based on how you order or whether you’re plated or not.
    I recall being approached by a ranger looking at permits crossing over Rampart Range road once..
  8. _CJ

_CJ Conservative Conservationist

Oddometer:
    I did the renewal online, and got the red 2020 sticker, which goes well with my red bike. Mounted them below the tripple clamp in case I need to pull a fork leg. Somehow, both my stickers and plate always seem to get covered in mud. :evil

9. RLK

RLK KLR VFR

Oddometer:
    You went to the trouble of scratching your address out of the first picture but left the ZIP+4 code visible which narrows it down to one block of one street. Then under the second scratching we can guess your name and the digits of the address. FYI
  10. derm75

Oddometer:
    If you're gonna stop by at least bring some beer !
  11. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the phone number by chance?
  12. Johnny Kilo

Johnny Kilo Sumbeotch

Oddometer:
    This thread made me realize I never received my two renewals. I open source google searched CO OHV and it took me to the page with the phone number. After calling and jumping around some odd circuit routing and pressing numbers I got a real person on the line who looked up my data and gave me the required PINS to renew on line.
  13. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    So what portion are people attaching with this thing? Fold all of it up and stick it behind the clear on the fork? Only the portion which says to detach and keep with vehicle?
  14. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just keep it all in my wallet
  15. Wildmtn

Wildmtn Still Lost

Oddometer:
    I detached the part that said detach and keep with vehicle and then stuck it on my bike with the included sticky thing. Haven’t seen a ranger-type person yet to evaluate its legality but I’m pretty sure what I did will be OK. Perhaps wishful thinking but seriously, how often do they see a GSA on the trails and how can they really argue when I followed instructions...
  16. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea... instructions.. I just love how it’s some long Costco receipt with some of it printed telling you not to detach or it’s no longer valid, and another part telling you to detach and keep with the bike...
  17. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered both mine on line and got the sticker ones. Like everything else with these OHV permits, nobody, state employees included, knows what they are doing. Typical government program:lol3
    oldmanb777 likes this.
  18. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    I gave up after paying last year and never receiving stickers at all. I did get a renewal notice for one bike this year, registered two last year, so they got that 50%. It’s an awesome program.
    norton(kel) likes this.
  19. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, did mine online too, but Being out of state and my bike already being plate may have to do with it. But two years in the past I’ve only received the single sticker....

I just ended up putting the single portion that says “detach and keep with vehicle” on the fork... and left the 3 sections above that intact and just put those into a baggy in my backpack.
  20. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just do that again. Remember just because no one checks you, doesn’t mean the funds aren’t truly used for trail maintenance, parking access etc.
    please continue to do the right thing.
    BISHOP and Mikemm like this.