Colorado Snowpack

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Podzo's PD, Feb 21, 2019.

1. MonkeySlayer

MonkeySlayer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry. Closed still. I was able to go up 11 miles off of Fryingpan Road from the Basalt side. Dry all the way to the gate.
  2. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I’ve been in Taylor Park the last 3 days. Saw this biggie up at the top of Spring Creek.

IMG_0212.jpg

Had to dig some on Italian Creek.

IMG_9999.jpg

But it let me be the first scooter up!

IMG_0005.jpg

Solid ADV!

IMG_0019.jpg
  3. Coloadvguy

Coloadvguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I made it over Georgia Pass yesterday on the 300. Snow is gone on the main road but ice shelves are still hiding in the shade. Nice river running down what used to be the jeep road on the north side. Not planning to take the big bike over it for quite a while.
    Found snow patches on all the side roads up high, glacier ridge is still blocked by several large drifts, jeepers were winching for hours and not making much progress.
    Mosquito will definately be awhile!
    SnowMule likes this.
  4. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You talking about what the call the sluice box? IIRC there a bypass. I love the Georgia/Swan/Webster loop and hope it’s rideable before the snow flies again
  5. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    I just heard from a friend that the FJ Summit is in Ouray this weekend. That wil be lovely, a couple hundred FJs all focused (and choking up) what is currently open. :rolleyes
    enduro-ince, sceep and PYG RYDR like this.
  6. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of choices for them from there. Out and back on Yankee boy to see how far you can get up Imogene, or Corkscrew to Animas Forks...
    That Rally clogs the trails when everything is open. Maybe people will spend more time in Ouray and Silverton. I'm sure they are feeling an economic impact from late openings.
  7. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    if they could get that eureka to animas forks stretch opened that would help a lot. Jen ran through there the other day and said it was an impressive blockage just below grouse gulch but they're working on it.
  8. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    from one of the cat operators re: that slide this morning.

" Grouse Gulch Avalanche will not be cleared out this summer so there will be no accesss to Animas Forks (viaCO2). WE might get access to CR-9 Picyune/ Placer Gulch Loop ! THe Road Dept. will not clear the rest of the slide until it is possible to do it is still over 50" deep and no place to doze the snow maybe in the late fall if we can push the snow in the river and it melts down enough."

I am making an assumption that he meant 50' not 50". either way, he says he aint dozing it.
  9. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were going to do a fourwheel drive trip last weekend in the San Juans, looping from Ouray to Silverton. When I heard Corkscrew was the only way to get from Ouray to Silverton, I knew it would be a mess with all the people. We tried the transfer trail in the flat tops a month again and hit snow at 9200 feet. We figured it would be clear now so did it instead. Hit snow at 9500 feet this go around, lol. I’d be surprised if it melts out at all this year.
  10. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    woah that's crazy. I need to see that even if I have to walk.
    sceep likes this.
  11. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I assumed the main artery would get cleared. I've mostly been doing backyard laps and lots of time in the downhill park lately.
  12. backcountrywaterboy

backcountrywaterboy Jobs fill your pockets adventures fill your soul Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_1630.jpg The guys got Hagerman open today! Use caution still icy through the cuts in the drifts.
    We're not diverting Lyle ditch yet so the water crossing is not to high.
  13. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable.
  14. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    I have a picture somewhere, taken before digital cameras or the internet, that shows a cutout similar to the one posted above, but on Cottonwood Pass, and it was 15-20 feet deep. It was taken on 4th of July weekend in 1994. I moved here the summer before and just figured that's how it was out here. Little did I know, without the help of the internet, 24 hour "news", or cable TV, that it was unusual. Nobody was arguing about the cause, or who to blame, or how to "fix" it. Everyone just thought it was cool. :dunno

15. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen hagarman look like that, but never this late in the summer!
    Blakebird likes this.
  16. redrock88

redrock88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More annoying convoys running around the san juans than in iraq and afghanistan.
    Sledred likes this.
  17. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    They are different than the invasion of Adventure Riders in what way other than they wear different costumes and have different conveyances?
  18. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    They take up both lines of the 2 tracks...
  19. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are slow.
    redrock88 likes this.
  20. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cinnamon Pass is now cleared and open. Only thing not opened is Silverton to Animas Forks and that won't be for a long, long time. Deep avy debris with no place to put it.