Colorado Snowpack

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Podzo's PD, Feb 21, 2019.

1. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Molas pass 07/24/2019

[​IMG]
    no2tracks, MurphCO, 23103a and 9 others like this.
  2. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Kawasakirob and no2tracks like this.
  3. like2lean

like2lean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    sceep and Podzo's PD like this.
  5. craigr652

craigr652 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's open. Just went down Mineral Creek from Engineer Pass yesterday.
  6. like2lean

Oddometer:
    How were all the main passes you hit? All I've been reading says gloom and doom. We're still 3 weeks out though...
  7. sceep

sceep Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should be good to go at this point. Watch out for high water crossings.

Only thing that I know of that is still closed is Black Bear, Poughipsie and CO2 between Silverton and Animas Forks.
  8. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:

I just got back from Taylor Park, had a great time and no problems with snow on Star and Timberline, also no huge stream crossings, just lots of little ones. Some fallen trees added difficulty especially when it got rainy and wet and slick.

Strangely the biggest problem I had was getting across 30 feet of paved road. Timberline cuts across Cottonwood Pass at one point. I just HAPPENED to get there exactly as a work crew was there, and the foreman acted very strangely. He was absolutely adamant that I was not to cross the road to continue the trail on the other side, as the road was "closed." It wasn't because of the blacktop itself, they were driving trucks up and down it, and walking all over it. One of the workers waved me right across, but he comes running over and says "that guy is new he doesn't know anything." He would not give a reason. He says, "how did you get here? Exactly, on the trail. And the only way you're getting out is back up the way you came," and, "if you go down there and try to cross the road I'm going to radio down there and get you written up with a $400 ticket."

So I started heading back and noticed there was a trail paralleling the road down to the actual crossing, I went down there and decided to try my luck since I felt the foreman was exceeding his authority and doubted he would waste his time making good on his strange threat, let alone get a cop to waste his time playing along. So I rode up onto the shoulder and the worker there waved me across, no problem, just as you would expect.

The tattered remnants of an American Flag in the photo above have been replaced with a rather ginormous new flag, pretty cool except it's so high up you can't stand next to it for a photo!

[​IMG]

Got waylaid for a while by some fallen trees on Timberline
    [​IMG]

Overall a great time though
    [​IMG]
  9. like2lean

Oddometer:
    Scared, insecure, little people with an ounce of power, just enough to fu&k up someones day. Just gotta feel sorry for them and get on with life just as you did.
    Nailhead likes this.
  10. Podzo's PD

Podzo's PD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have loved to be in that situation. At my age. . .imagine how that would have gone down. Unless that trail had signs on it saying you can't cross the road. . . you have every right to cross. Especially with the new guy watching for construction traffic as you cross. I will never get over the paving of Cottonwood Pass. I have been using that pass for 55 years and now its getting opened up to all kinds of traffic. Taylor Park has been getting busier and busier through those years and it'll be a lot worse the end of this year and next year. There were days when I took my Hodaka all day long around that area and never would see a single person or vehicle. . . :becca
  11. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    I saw some guys on big 1200 GS's at the Conoco in Telluride who just came over Imogene Pass. They said it wasnt too bad.
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  12. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    That could almost be paraphrased to be the state motto.
  13. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Yup. One of the years we were running the Moose Run a contractor shut down the main road into Snyder Creek to install a cattle guard and culvert for the entire summer. He was from Arizona, and no doubt having a wonderful summer in his private forest in the high country. I tried talking with him, but it was futile.
    enduro0125 likes this.
  14. Kawasakirob

Kawasakirob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Red Cone is open.
    20190809_132807.jpg

Jones not so much. Wouldn't be surprising if it doesn't open this year.
    20190809_155611.jpg
  15. henrys

henrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is black bear pass looking?
  16. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    just hit the other direction with a little tempo!!!!!
  17. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    per bushducks, was still closed 8/6.
  18. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    we were just over it on big bikes last sunday and it was great! i was real surprised how LITTLE snow was there considering all this snow talk.
  19. simple

simple noob this

Oddometer:
    A lot melted out in the past 6 weeks.
  20. Pdrhound

Oddometer:
    Anyone have updates on cinnamon pass. I thought there might be some Hinsdale people on this post.