Colorado to Tallahassee - History, Canopy Roads, No Snow.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by MrBob, Dec 29, 2019.

1. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    During the summer months I am a working fool, 7 days a week sometimes, so I can bank money for winter travels. This year, my goal is to winter in the Tallahassee area, where winter weather can approach perfection.
    My travel style is a meander so there are many stops along the way, and one of my main interests is history, so my trips are often history oriented.
    Each year I try out different combinations of gear. This year, I have my DR 650 and my full suspension ebike, as well as a good selection of carpentry tools. Maybe I can earn some extra money on the road.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When I left Colorado, winter was on the horizon. Not so in Kentucky, where autumn was at it's peak.
    I made a stop at the Pleasant Hill Shaker Village, near Harrodsburg, KY.. Founded in 1823, the Shakers thrived here until about 1910. The love they invested in their community is still very much evident in the land and buildings. Very prevalent at Pleasant Hill is a very peaceful air.

[​IMG]
    In Frankfort, KY. I visit the grave of one of my heroes. While doing geneoalogical research I learned the his people and my people were in adjoining communities. I visited on a quiet Sunday morning and had the place to myself.

[​IMG]
    It's an old and beautiful cemetery containing the graves of many people important in Kentucky history.

[​IMG]
    I also pay a visit to the Flat Lick Baptist Cemetery near Somerset, Ky. Some of my ancestors are buried there and the first Barron came to this area on 1798.
  2. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    When most people think of Florida, places like Orlando come to mind. North Florida is quite different, and very old in places. This was plantation country in the days of slavery, and many plantations still exist between Tallahassee and the Georgia border.
    Unique to this area are Canopy Roads, lined with Live Oaks so old that their branches interlock over roads and create an almost surreal effect. It didn't take long to unload the DR and begin exploring.
    [​IMG]
    Spanish Moss is everywhere, and creates a kind of magical scene.
  3. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The Gulf of Mexico is not far from Tallahassee, just a few hours ride to the south.
  5. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I'm enjoying myself so much that I decide to rent a room for the winter and use it as a base for exploration.
    [​IMG]
    My front yard.

[​IMG]
    My back yard.

[​IMG]
    A neighbor.
  6. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    After so many years of living in Colorado, I can really appreciate the many bodies of water in this area. This is Miccosukee Lake, and I'm guessing it is full of Bass.

[​IMG]
    This road is called Avenue of the Oaks, and is a good example of a canopy road. Most of the roads around here are in good condition with very little traffic.
  7. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More reminders that I'm in the deep south. Each of the small headstones simply says CSA - no names or dates. Maybe there was a skirmish in the area. There is no record of any major Civil War battles in the immediate area and Tallahassee was not occupied by Union troops during the war.
  8. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Just beginning to explore the bike trails in the area. They aren't as punishing as the single track trails I regularly ride in Colorado, but this is a very fast trail and mostly deserted during weekdays.
  9. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    After a few scrounging trips I'm feeling more at home.
    Hannda likes this.
  10. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    One rainy day, searching for something to do, I drove to Ocala, about 150 miles to the east, and this museum of drag racing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A wonderful museum and a motorhead's dream. This being off-season, there were less than a half dozen people wandering around. I posted up on this trip in Shiny Things.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/garlits-museum.1420799/
  11. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I made up an ad for the local Craigslist and have taken on a few handyman jobs to help pay for my travels.
  12. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I rode through this charming village today. Who knew there was so much history in the area- mapped in 1778 by the British.

[​IMG]
    Along a number of back roads are small churchyard cemeteries, some of them quite old. This one was near to an AME church, so it would have been a burial ground for black folks.
    Ginger Beard and Hannda like this.
  13. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yesterday I returned to the cemetery in Monticello, FL to try some photos in a little different light. I remain intrigued by the unmarked graves of the confederate soldiers.
  14. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    MickeyDee, KneeDrachen and Hannda like this.
  15. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did more research and learned that there was a Civil War battle near Jacksonville, the Battle of Olustee, and some of the Confederate wounded were sent to Monticello, where some of them died.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Olustee
  16. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    Union casualties were 203 killed, 1,152 wounded, and 506 missing, a total of 1,861 men—about 34 percent. Confederate losses were lower: 93 killed, 847 wounded, and 6 missing, a total of 946 casualties in all—but still about 19 percent. Union forces also lost six artillery pieces and 39 horses that were captured.[3] The ratio of Union casualties to the number of troops involved made this the second bloodiest battle of the War for the Union, with 265 casualties per 1,000 troops.[5]

Bad stuff. I read a little more on the battle and began to encounter references to "colored troops" in the battle - freed Blacks who had enlisted to fight on the side of the Union. Apparently, this was not viewed with favor on the Southern side.

account from a Confederate soldier at this battle recalled that an officer yelled to his men that the colored troops “have come to steal, pillage, run over the state and murder, kill and rape our wives daughters, and sweethearts…I shall not take any negro prisoners in this fight.”

How many wounded and captured Black troops were murdered by their captors is not clear to me, but hundreds, for sure. Not treated as honorable men fighting for a cause, but as traitors. To find this tidbit of information, I had to dig. This is not common knowledge.
    The fact that there were people in this country who could not understand why a Black person would choose to fight for the side that will end his enslavement, over the side that hoped to continue his enslavement, is proof of why we needed a Civil War, IMHO.
  17. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    If this scene looks hot and steamy it's because it was, but also quite beautiful. I'll be spending about a week at this house, between Tallahassee and Monticello, Fl.
    MickeyDee, Hannda and dasgaswolf like this.
  18. old1959

old1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neat story. I’m heading your way from Texas . Driving my Subie with a RAD Mini inside along with camping gear. I plan to visit some museums such as WW2 museum in New Orleans, Naval Aviation in Pensacola and Thomas Edison in Ft. Meyer. Also, have some other sights in mind.
    MrBob likes this.
  19. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    oystercookoff.jpg

[​IMG]
    Today the weather was perfect for a ride down to the coast to chow down at the 9th annual Apalachicola Oyster Cook-Off. A bowl of fresh shrimp and a glass of beer and I was all set.
    This part of the coast was on the eastern edge of Hurricane Michael, but still hit pretty hard in some spots. This house is on Apalachee Bay, which empties into the Gulf.
    Ginger Beard and Hannda like this.
  20. MrBob

MrBob Distant Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm told that the WWII museum in New Orleans is one of the best.
    old1959 likes this.