1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Colorado to the Wyoming TAT

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Blaise W, Sep 1, 2020.

1. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to following along Ken. I love Wyoming. :D
  2. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeff, it would be helpful to know if any pics show up. If they do, where do they start. Otherwise I need to try to remove all and reconstruct. Grrrr. The help would be appreciated!
  3. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pictures are no show
  4. Jedi2Rider

Jedi2Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only pics I see are the two attached ones of your bike in a garage. I am also using Firefox.
  5. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    On chrome iPad, ditto Jedi
  6. ROYAL COACHMAN

ROYAL COACHMAN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same for me
  7. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know what they say----------------no pics----didn't happen :rofl
  8. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

what for? thread has 571 views! must be something here that's worthwhile.....:lol3

seriously, hope OP able to figure out how to post pics. Ken, PM me if you need help.
  9. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    My computer and SmugMug don't seem to like one another any more. Just about sorted and should get to it tonight. Gee, so many views and nothing to look at!
  10. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    093C51D4-817F-475E-A378-BA207D403D59.jpeg

DA157D1E-05A8-436A-AE76-7A070269B45E.jpeg

Ok Ken let me give you a hand.

I did follow along so can attest to the fact that the trip did happen.

Here are a few pics.

Ken on his well set up 450 L

66B2A1C7-472C-42FB-A298-EA38064613E0.jpeg

E847019F-1130-42A3-AAC1-8AC8BE4121BA.jpeg

12C295E3-22DD-423F-A64A-59ED9F005B6A.jpeg

B79A023A-8606-447D-82DF-CA63E221C09A.jpeg

Dan
  11. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Back on track, I hope!

Our intended route was over to Flaming Gorge, south to Dutch John for fuel and lunch, and then to Manila for the evening. However, once we got to highway 191, the turn to Dutch John was going to run us right into some nasty black clouds, and no doubt heavy rain. We have options! North to Rock Springs, and then to Green River for the evening. No pics from this segment. Next morning we ran over to Kemmerer, WY, where we finally got back onto some gravel heading north toward Afton, and the start of the Wyoming TAT.

[​IMG]

Found someones Hideout! Lots of ranchers working the area, and their pickups really rock the back roads! There were several trailers in this area and I'm not sure if they were for the ranchers (corals right next door) or for hunters.

[​IMG]

Definitely need to air down now. I was running the Anakee Wild's, and for some reason I was under the impression that they were radials. Not so for the smaller tires; only the big-bike rears. The Wilds actually worked great, and I dropped the pressure just like on any other tire. Nice thing is that the Wilds are quiet on the pavement, but give good grip off road. Longevity, I'm thinking around 4K miles on the rears.

[​IMG]

Pretty smokey!

[​IMG]
  12. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Yea Dan; keep 'em coming!

I had put together tracks from Kemmerer to Afton, but it turns out that my tracks north intersect Sam's tracks going south, just south of Afton. We had a bit of an issue trying to make this happen, even though both Dan and I have been thru here before, but years ago. The roads change, old guys forget things, you know how it goes. The forest roads definitely didn't match the tracks I put together, and we had a few "where do we go from here" moments. One thing we tried put us on some deep sand roads heading roughly across country but toward our tracks. Didn't feel right and we back tracked and tried an alternative. Bingo, in a few miles we were back on the purple line! We came across a couple in a pickup who were trying to find their way out, and I'm sure they did. A string of Jeeps came thru and helped keep us on the correct line, before we got back on the purple.

[​IMG]

Sam pretty much keeps you on "good" roads like above. In years gone by, on the original TAT, no so much, and maybe a lot more fun! I can remember having to find some elevation to walk up in order to make out a faint trail that was the route. Just invisible from on the bike.

Much of Wyoming is thin on population, and motels/eateries. In La Barge we found a nice place to stay, but the only food was at the gas station deli. This was the case more than once on the trip. Wyoming Inn. I can recommend it.

[​IMG]
  13. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Saturday, August 22, we set off for Farson, and then Wamsutter. Now we are getting to the Wyoming that we were expecting!
    [​IMG]

Lots of this
    [​IMG]

And this
    [​IMG]

Brings you to this!
    [​IMG]

And this!
    [​IMG]

Much appreciated, let me tell you, when it is 100F outside!
  14. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    Farson to Wamsutter is about 106 miles, and runs thru or adjacent to Killpecker Sand Dunes and other sand dune areas. You are never "in" the dunes, but the roads are definitely sand, and can be deep, or kind of firm. In fact, from here on most of the roads are sand, though most are hard packed or graveled. Farson to Wamsutter though, I was happy to be on my small bike. The Africa Twin, for me, balks when the sand gets deep. Consider it a personal problem! Good hard pack in the pic below, unless the crust is broken, then it becomes deep!

[​IMG]

A little flavor of Wamsutter, not, I think, our favorite stop on this ride.
    [​IMG]

And for motels....
    [​IMG]

Yes, this is a motel, but fortunately not ours! During the oil boom, any kind of room was viable to be rented. Our place was clean, and there was one Mexican restaurant a block away. That was all! But, all wasn't lost. The Mexican food was very very good!!
    juno, C-Dub, MizzouRider and 5 others like this.
  15. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap.... more ...
  16. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    The WY TAT route is a big "V" across the state, and the bottom of the V is Baggs. It was sure sad to leave Wamsutter, but we needed some breakfast! Dan is the master when it comes to food and lodging establishments, and he identified a likely establishment in Baggs where we might find some grub. Their web site though, was a bit confusing as to their hours. First we had to get there, so more oil field roads were on the menu.

[​IMG]

For this ride and the expected heat I use my new Klim Baja jacket. It worked great, but we escaped just in time. It's freezing up there now!!
    [​IMG]

Into Baggs, and Brenda's Diner is open! In fact, Brenda and her Aunt were on the porch having just opened. This was the very first Sunday opening of the year as the Covid restrictions changed this day. Brenda's is a family run place, multi-generational, and the breakfast was worth the ride to get there. Brenda is on the left.

[​IMG]

The route from Baggs goes to Saratoga, WY on dirt and gravel. However, the highway option runs thru the mountains, rather than around them, over the Continental Divide, past a place where Thomas Edison had one of his bright ideas while gazing over the landscape, and thru the small town of Encampment. I was ready for a little change of scenery so we diverted.

[​IMG]

OK, the sign is more important, so..
    [​IMG]
    juno, MizzouRider, Kyron and 3 others like this.
  17. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    After a few nights of "basic" accommodations (still better than most nights in a tent though) I was leaning toward something a little more up scale. Once in Saratoga, we discovered that there was indeed some places more "up scale", though it wouldn't take much to beat Wamsutter. The CopperLine Lodge was just our speed, and most favored, but didn't have a room for us. The Wolf Hotel looked good, but nobody there to talk to about a room. A few more options, but after some consideration, the Saratoga Hot Springs Resort won out.

[​IMG]

Some nice original art here and there.
    [​IMG]

Dan found a likely spot to relax and catch up on email and reading

[​IMG]

While I found a different place to relax!
    [​IMG]
    juno, MizzouRider, MotoPet and 2 others like this.
  18. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    We were late for lunch and early for supper, but there was another menu available.
    [​IMG]

I really wanted to try the White Buffalo, but they were out. If I'm going to have a beer, it needs to be a REAL brew (not wanting to start something here!). A good stout is my preference, but not being in the mood for a milk stout, I went Chocolate Java Porter. It was good!! They brew on the property. In due course, supper was served and then it was time to try the hot springs. Warm springs more like it, but Dan eventually found the hottest soak. There is one big pool, and several smaller ones. A good way to relax before turning in.
    juno and MizzouRider like this.
  19. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    In the morning we aimed NW for Elk City, Medicine Bow, and Douglas. Fast rolling hills in the morning before getting to the Medicine Bow National Forest, and a nice change!

Trying to keep tabs on where we are
    [​IMG]

Bridges!
    [​IMG]

Crazy rock formations! The road goes right up thru there, and it is a very nice ride!
    [​IMG]

Thru the forest, over the hills, and then......
    [​IMG]

It might not show but here and there the gravel on the road was pink. Pastel here, but in some areas it was much more intense. I was wondering if the color was from some chemical additive, but I don't think so based on this road segment.
  20. Blaise W

Oddometer:
    A few more pics from the day. This was a nice part of Wyoming, and it isn't too far west of South Dakota. 'Need to get over there some time to see the Black Hills. Of course Devil's Tower isn't far either, but it wasn't on this trip's itinerary.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    juno, pratered, Kyron and 4 others like this.