Colorado to Upstate NY suffer fest- Free camping?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by sky44, Jun 30, 2020.

1. sky44

sky44 Gummikuh

Oddometer:
    Ok, so i'm looking to get from Northern colorado (fort collins area) to rochester-ish NY.

Riding an airhead GS. it'll do 90, it likes going 75 more.

Goals here- 3 days or less- I'm good with 700 mile days- probably not more. CHEAP- out of work at the moment.

Looking to camp for free where possible. I expect to arrive dirty and disheveled.

Currently looking at stop one being Bluffwoods Conservation area in Missouri. Please let me know if that area is likely to be more overrun with meth-heads than the rest of Missouri. I'll likely take 36 across kansas, i've done that before and it was very pleasant.
  2. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like US36. I haven't taken it in years, but have very fond memories of it. I think it's the best route across KS.
    Given the heat wave set to continue for about 2 weeks, if I were taking this trip, I would head north as much as possible. In other times, I'd head for the north shore of Lake Superior, in Canada, but the border is closed. MO is likely to be steamy to the point of nearly dangerous for heat exhaustion. I have had some close calls with heat across central IL and MO, even sucking on a 3L Platypus water reservoir. That was on an R90/6 2 years ago, and much earlier on an R75/5. Two years ago, the folks at a McDonald's gave me free strawberry shake when I stopped, telling me someone had made it by mistake. I think they saw what I looked like and got alarmed. I stayed there an hour cooling down. You may have to do that. the humidity really works against evaporative cooling. I had a Darien, and a wicking shirt, and it was not enough. Once the dew point gets above 68F or so, it's problematic. A short haul is OK, long days are a real drain.
    Maybe head through the UP of MI. Stop in Duluth. It's a cool town. There are a lot of National Forest campsites in N WI and the UP. However, this would add 500 miles or more to your trip, which eliminates the 3 day limit.
    If you route through Madison, WI, we might be able to put you up.
    sky44 likes this.
  3. sky44

sky44 Gummikuh

Oddometer:
    Man i loved 36. Could have done with some corners, but otherwise just great.
  4. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Ioverlander.com
    sky44 likes this.
  5. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Define “Rochester-ish”
  6. sky44

sky44 Gummikuh

Oddometer:
    geneva NY,

actually ended up taking the car. the airhead developed what appears to be a transmission oil leak. I didn't have time to tear into it. Will take a look when i get back.
  7. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to tell you if you ran short of daylight you could camp out at my house. The deer are REALLY thick out that way this year, you don't want to be riding at night. I drive Route #31 to Pittsford at least once a week to visit an elderly Aunt.
    sky44 likes this.
  8. sky44

sky44 Gummikuh

Oddometer:
    ah cool! i appreciate the offer. I imagine i'll make a motorcycle trip out to NY again at some point soon.