Colorado Twisties? Deal's Gapish?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by marcwestbmw, Mar 26, 2009.

1. marcwestbmw

marcwestbmw Walkin' Mans Friend

Oddometer:
    Do any of you folks have any recommendations for some tight Colorado paved roads? We're heading out once it gets warm seeking some paved twisties.
    Something akin to Deal's Gap, NC would be perfect. Since we're on motards,
    the tighter the better.

We'll base where we stay by what is recommended.

We'll be on these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Cowboy

Cowboy Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer:
    My favorite twisty road in Colorado is Highway 92, between Gunnison and Hotchkiss. It's no Deals Gap, as it is only 25 miles long, in the twisty section, but it is a sleepy road with good pavement and practically no traffic (especially on weekdays). Views down into the canyon are spectacular, too.

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=38.454664,-107.329559&daddr=CO-92&geocode=%3BFVT_TwIdpHOU-Q&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=10&sll=38.538499,-107.263641&sspn=0.516673,0.884399&ie=UTF8&ll=38.538499,-107.263641&spn=0.516673,0.884399&output=embed" scrolling="no" width="425" frameborder="0" height="350"></iframe>
    <small>View Larger Map</small>
  3. gallinastrips

gallinastrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will have to keep those pinned over some of the 11,000. ft plus passes.
    I rode my KTM 625smc over a lot of these and can recommend some.

149 South Fork to Gunnison over Slumgullion Pass 11,631 ft. Can't beat a SM on the Lake City side of this pass.

92 Gunnison to Hotchkiss along Black Canyon. Excellent SM road and in very good shape. Might want to set up camp and burn out a couple pair of tires on this section.

550 Durango to Ouray. Lots of tight stuff over 11,000. Ft. Red Mountain pass.

62 to 145 to 141 Ridgeway to Gateway with lunch in Telluride. They built this road for a SM.

I would recommend South Fork to Gunnison to Hotchkiss to Gateway to Ridgeway to Ouray to Durango and back. Trick will be not squaring off those tires getting there. Have fun:ricky
  4. marcwestbmw

Oddometer:
    All this stuff looks great.Keep the recommendations coming. We'll be riding in Colorado 9 days.:D
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Colorado's a big place.
    Any particular area you are visiting?

If you are in the front range run any of the canyons up to peak to peak. Coal Creek Canyon, Left Hand Canyon, etc.

Head up the Poudre Canyon and you get like 70 miles of twisties on one road.

Are you wanting to just rage in the twisties or are you wanting to see some views? Hell.. if you want nothing but corners.. save some money and go do a track day :D

If you want a colorado experience.. then I'd ask for "scenic twisties".
  6. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, I miss my lunch time runs up Coal Creek Canyon.
  7. gallinastrips

gallinastrips Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bring warm riding gear and keep an eye on the weather. It's snowing in Northern New Mexico right now and I am only at 7,500. feet:dog
  8. Dysco

Dysco Diaper slinger

Oddometer:
    A little warning about the canyons here- the second corner of every canyon has a decreasing radius. This means that overexcited riders end up on the wrong side of the road (and sometimes the guardrail) 2 turns in. After that, it's about 1 in 3. :deal
  9. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    Squaw Pass road from Evergreen to the Mt. Evans turnoff or keep going down to Idaho Springs is the funnest twisty section in Colorado. That is, assuming the highway dept. doesn't keep 'improving' the road by taking out the few potholes, etc. that make it more fun. But you better wait until June for this one, and any good road in Colorado with great scenery will require such a wait.
  10. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    Nine days? Better bring some chains.
  11. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I don't think they are coming in 9 days.. I think they'll be HERE 9 days.

Personally... as a fellow TE610 owner... put some knobbies on if you wanna REALLY have a Colorado adventure

Or run some Sahara's... you can ride offroad and onroad that way :ricky

Last weekend:
    [​IMG]
  12. marcwestbmw

Oddometer:
    Definitely riding for 9 days, not in 9 days. We will also bring our dirt wheels.

This is how we were outfitted last fall.

[​IMG]

If the weather gets wet, we'll swap to dirt wheels and stay off the asphalt.
  13. oio

oio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Colorado does not have much to compare to really twisty roads like Deals Gap and roads in California.

I rode out to California (Porterville) last year with a buddy who had never ridden there. His comment after riding Hwy 190, 155, 245, etc. was Colorado does not have twistys, only sweepers.

Most of the mountain terrain in Colorado was carved by glaciers. Thus, we have big U-shaped valleys, not V-shaped from stream cuts. Stream cuts make for really twisty roads. Glacier cuts make for sweepers.

If you want to ride really twisty roads out west, the area around Porterville, CA has one of the biggest concentrations that I've found. I'll bet Blakebird will back me up on that. He's ridden that area, too.

Colorado does have some great roads, Hwy 141, 550, 92 and 149 are some of my favorites. You might want to check out Ouray as a base camp if you want to experience the Colorado mountains and its great sweepers.

Summer tourist traffic can be a pain and many of the Colorado roads are heavily patrolled by law enforcement. Don't let that discourage you. Riding in Colorado has its rewards.
  14. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer:
    114 outside of Gunnison has some really tight stuff. :nod :evil
  15. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:

+1

The twisties here are mostly comprised of big open sweepers. The decreasing radius turns that Dysco mentions only catch people out because they're expecting the big turns you get on most CO roads. I've found the twisties in CO to be more suited to big bore sportbikes than supermotos. There are exceptions, but they're usually pretty short.

Bring the dirt wheels. Those are what you can make good use of here.
  16. Hondo

Hondo What if it's a Samsquanch?

Oddometer:
    Bear Creek Canyon between Morrison and Evergreen is awesome.

Here's a video I made when I used to own a Nighthawk -

EDIT - video no longer works- pulled by google.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-3049577897991653453&hl=en&fs=true" style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
  17. marcwestbmw

Oddometer:
    "Honey.....this guy on ADVrider..... says we need big bore sportbikes for Colorado ...Can I get one?"

Hondo nice vid with great tunes.:clap
  18. codys

codys Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer:
    +1 for the Gunnison to Hotchkiss piece of road. Some of the inside corners get gravel on them from cars cutting the corners a little tight fyi.

Poudre canyon west of Ft. Collins is pretty good but the lower part of the road is a little rough and tar snake heavy from memory.

I think the million dollar highway from Durango to Ouray is pretty sweet too. You better be good at passing cars on this one or hit it mid week and in the evening. The tourists seem to settle into their hotels around dinner time.

I'll toss a couple votes at a couple local spots that are relatively short but pretty sweet. The top of Cottonwood Pass west of Buena Vista has 10 or so super tight switchbacks at the top that put you at full tilt at 15mph or so. The west side of Monarch Pass (hwy50) from bottom to top is pretty twisty and 2 lanes too. It's pretty new pavement and you can roll around cars that you come up on. I melt the knobs on the 950 pretty good on that stretch! :evil Have fun!
  19. artyboy

artyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just up there last Sunday on my GSX650F and the roads were fine. Mt Evans road was still closed but that's a pretty boring ride, anyway. Of course, with the snow today it'll probably be pretty hairy for a couple of weeks even after the snow gets cleared.
  20. vetitum422

vetitum422 And I Thank You!

Oddometer: