Colorado - Utah - Moab etc

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mmc205, Sep 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mmc205

mmc205 n00b

Oddometer:
    Recently did a very cool ride on my brand new KTM 1090 Adventure. Started in Grand Juction CO and made about a 1000 mile loop through Utah. Both of my buddies were on WR250R's. Some of the trails we hit were Kane Creek out of Moab, Bobby's hole, Beef Basin, Elephant Head, Lockhart, White Rim, Radium Road and a whole lot more. My bike was a handful sometimes, especially in the knarly stuff. Kane Creek, Elephant head, and the hill out of Bobby's hole were particularly challenging especially on the stock TKC80's. Had a great time though and would do it again for sure. I might avoid some of the more challenging stuff though, the bike got a bit beat up; bent crash bars, dented exhaust pipe, scratched silencer, and i musta hit the skid plate about 6000 times :) Overall it came through fine.

Anyone take a big bike through these trails? Thoughts? I'm looking at different crash bars for the 1090 as well as a GPS. I borrowed one for the trip. route 1.jpg route 2.jpg route 3.jpg IMG_4864.JPEG IMG_4867.JPEG IMG_4869.JPEG IMG_4875.JPEG IMG_4890.JPEG IMG_4893.JPEG IMG_4910.JPEG
    Burro driver, akaDigger and MaNDan like this.
  2. mmc205

mmc205 n00b

Oddometer:
    more pics - 2nd and 3rd pic we camped on top of a butte; it was gorgeous. Had to use the bikes to hold one side of the rain fly's. Planned on hammock camping for most of the trip but guess what? Utah don't hardly have no trees! :)

Attached Files:

akaDigger and MaNDan like this.
  3. mmc205

mmc205 n00b

Oddometer:
    more pics 2; 7th picture in was a nasty steep baby head covered hill coming out of bobby's hole. I think it has a name but i'm not sure. This would have been a bit challenging on my 240 lb husky TE300i dirt bike, but was a biiiiit difficult on my 550lb loaded 1090r. It took a "little help from my friends" to get up this one. I may have tipped over once or twice.... :)

Attached Files:

johngault, akaDigger and MaNDan like this.
  4. mmc205

mmc205 n00b

Oddometer:
    more pics 3 - I think all these pics were from Elephant hill. The first 3 miles was nasty, followed by a lot of riding through creek beds/ sand wash then a climb out of bobby's hole....

Attached Files:

akaDigger and MaNDan like this.
  5. johngault

johngault Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love picture #83.....very cool. This trip looks like a big challenge on the 1090!
  6. mmc205

mmc205 n00b

Oddometer:
    It was quite the challenge in some places. It really feels like a big dirtbike if you treat it as such....till you start to tip over then it just feels heavy. I would have been better served with some more aggressive rear tires such as the Mitas E09; i was running stock TKC80s and they were not so great in loose sand or loose rock. Did okay though. I did burn almost down to wear bear in 400 miles of break in and a little over 1000 miles on the trip. (bike was bought about 1.5 weeks before trip)
    alpinerob likes this.