Colorado West Fest; September 10-12, 2021; Registration Now Open!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, May 3, 2021.

1. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    3/4 mile, I'm guessing. There's some limited parking at the base with some vehicles available to schlep gear up and down.
  2. CorreCaminos

CorreCaminos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's not bad. I can park the trailer, ride the bike up the hill, walk down to get the truck and drive it up.
  3. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plenty of hands around, I'm sure it will work out fine.
    CorreCaminos likes this.
  4. CorreCaminos

CorreCaminos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SignUp Genius is having troubles processing the payment. I've tried twice and both times it failed. Anyone else experiencing this? Can I just send PayPal funds to cover the fee?
  5. 61rover

61rover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I signed up and had no problems.
  6. CorreCaminos

CorreCaminos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It seems like it went thru even though the website reported an error. No biggie.
  7. jwrover

jwrover Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There will be vehicle/trailer parking at three proximal locations. 1- approx 2 miles from camp with a steep single trail hike up to camp, but easily ridable on the main access road and we'll have a "load bearing" truck.
    2- in a parking area approx 0.8 miles from camp with a gradual climb walk up the road. Easily ridable and we'll let you chase the "load bearing" truck to keep you eager.
    3- up at the camp area there will be capacity for approx 5-7 vehicle/trailer combos.

Here is a screenshot to give you some perspective. Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 3.55.18 PM.png
  8. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Registration will occur at KJ Wood Distilleries 929 Main Street, Ouray, Colorado from 4-7 on Thursday the 10th. If you don't make it to that, you can always find one of us later. There's lots of food options within walking distance for dinner that evening.
    Breakfast Friday and Saturday at Bachelor/Syracuse Mine. Just down the hill from the rally site.
    Dinner Saturday night. Bar-b-q or pig roast. Working out the details....
    Camping Thursday, Friday and Saturday provided. There will be outhouses and water. We have to haul water, so it's not unlimited, but plenty for basic camp.

Yes, this is the right way.
    IMG_1616.JPG

This is the start of the steep section. Just at the creek crossing.
    IMG_1618.JPG

There's a flat area with some parking just before the creek crossing.

Views of the rally site.
    IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

Upper area. This is about 1/4 mile above the rally site.
    IMG_1623.JPG

View down valley towards Ridgway.
    IMG_1625.JPG
  9. CorreCaminos

CorreCaminos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's great to have photos. That gives me a better idea of the way to camp. Unless it gets worse further up, it doesn't look too bad for a 4x4 w/ a trailer.

Last year I pulled a small trailer w/ a 500 cc dirt bike up and down Last Dollar Rd outside Telluride. Would this be worse or similar to that?
  10. jwrover

jwrover Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This will be a little tighter and one section is a bit more rugged (about 30 feet). But otherwise you should be fine. The road up to the parking before the creek crossing is better than last dollar and graded all the way from Hwy 550. ( See Option 2 discussed above)
  11. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    I did some wandering around yesterday afternoon. Perfect afternoon.
    Ophir Pass was in good shape, most of the real loose stuff was from the switchback to the top, on the West side.
    20210613_135447.jpg 20210613_135917.jpg
    Added fuel in Silverton so it didnt become a hiking trip then up to Animas Forks
    20210613_145905.jpg
    At this point, near the top of Engineer I lost my rear brake. Upper bolt gone on calipers, so I just kept riding.
    20210613_151904.jpg
    20210613_153512.jpg
    20210613_161227.jpg
    20210613_161236.jpg
    No bolt to found in Lake City so I hit the Packer Saloon and Cannibal Grill.
    20210613_165759.jpg

Funny side note about Alferd Packer. A friend of mine is a distant relative of Alferd, he was his great great uncle or something like that. My friend is a vegetarian, and when asked why, he sometimes replies that it's because his family doesnt have a good history of eating meat responsibly. In packing up my folks house to move them this spring, I found an old poster that used to be on my bedroom wall in high school, of Alferd Packer, from a trip to Central City, which was no where near Lake City, just tourist stuff. Anyway, we framed it and gave it to my friend.
    20210509_191136.jpg

If you are in the area, and looking for something maybe a little harder than the passes, but not quite singletrack, this Wager Gulch Rd between Cinnamon and Stony Pass is great. Jeep road to the Carson town site, but the other side is a fun rolling two track ATV trail. I did not go that way, lacking back brake by now, proving that occasionally I can make good decisions.
    20210613_173612.jpg
    It's a tinderbox with all the beetlekill in this drainage.
    20210613_180957.jpg
    20210613_181800.jpg
    Was going to get a beer in Silverton, but patios were getting shady, headed back toward home.
    20210613_192622.jpg
    Not a bad afternoon. I left home at 1:30, back by 7:30.
    The San Juan's are beautiful. Just thought I would send a teaser of what you could expect for some of the riding out here.
    CO-or-bust, 303BCOD, katbeanz and 7 others like this.
  12. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

[​IMG]
  13. Big_John

Oddometer:
    FYI... If you plan to ride any of the designated OHV trails, you will need a Colorado OHV sticker. Enforcement is much stricter than in years past and the Forest Service and BLM are writing tickets. Simply riding Forest Service and BLM roads, only requires a plated bike. We will provide OHV maps, free of charge, for everyone attending.

Get a sticker here: https://cpw.state.co.us/buyapply/Pages/RegistrationsOHV.aspx
  14. Big_John

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    CorreCaminos likes this.
  15. Big_John

Oddometer:
    Welcome! See you in Ouray!

61rover
    CorreCaminos

16. BIG-E

BIG-E AKA; Mongo-E, Sexy Grande Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to try, Hard to attend! Riding in. No problem getting to the campsite on a loaded 1190r rode by an old fat guy who crashes purdy gud?

@Big_John makes the bestest coffee ever!!

Edit, me no leady a ride down Black Bear with a guy on a new GS700 who say's, "I can ride" but took no water on the ride....good times I tell ya!!

Double Edit, BTW, he couldn't ride very well and we had to ride his new bike down, but on a plus note, he knocked the new right off that thing!! hahaha.
  17. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to make a trip this year and this is one of my options I'm looking at. I have the option of bringing my Africa Twin (50/50 tires) or KTM 525 EXC. Which would be a better option for the terrain you guys ride?
  18. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Personally I would think the 525. Perfect for harder passes and singletrack, but that is just me. Beautiful roads for that Africa Twin as well.
    BIG-E likes this.
  19. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do people ride all sorts of terrain/roads, or is there a more predominant theme?
  20. Big_John

Oddometer:

I think both these posts have the same answer.....

There is a MASSIVE phethora of available riding for all types of bikes and all skill levels. Just pick your pleasure and make sure you have the right tool for the job. ..... and damn sure, make sure you have the right tires. Highway slicks on a GS are not the right tires for Cinnamon Pass.

I will probably bring two bikes, because I have to pull the trailer that will haul the "Open Grill" and the Famous Massive Coffee Makers. So I will throw my WR450 and my Africa Twin in the truck and be prepared to ride whatever fits my fancy for that day.

But heck, even guys showing up on those massive beasts.... like a R1200GSA/Super Tenere/1290SA/Tiger 1200....etc.... have more riding to do than three days can afford. And you can ride tough or you can carve the tarmac on the state and country highways.

I also might mention that riders joining us from a thousand miles away or so.... regulary come out for 4 to 5 to 7 days of riding and just throw West Fest in the middle of it for the awesome fun and camaraderie.

This group of guys running off West Fest this year are awesome, rock solid and this will be a phenomenal event!!!!

Big_John is just showing up to make the coffee and do some riding!

rizzo27, bikerjim2000 and BIG-E like this.