Colorado West Fest; September 10-12, 2021; Registration Now Open!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, May 3, 2021.

1. Beenriding

Beenriding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Registered and Paid....Driving over from Salt Lake City. Trying to convince some buddies to come with me

-Ben
  2. NJjeff

NJjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Event looks great, working on my schedule.
    Question. For riding the Alpine loop is a Colorado OHV sticker required for an out of state plated bike?
  3. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alpine Loop will be fine with just a plate. Alpine Trail, the singletrack, will require an OHV permit as it is a trail less than 50" wide.
    Ridgway State Park sells the permits, as does Highland Cycles and Davis Service Center in Montrose. Link below for Colorado State Parks OHV info if needed.
    https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/OHV-Progam.aspx
  4. bikerjim2000

bikerjim2000 Tree Top

Oddometer:
    I am so much wanting to be IN!
    Either I will be retired, 70% chance today!…..Or they will have to give me the 2 weeks off it will take to make this work! Most of it without pay which is the same either way and does work for me for sure.
    Minor detail.
    1 rider// registration will take a couple plus more days to workout.
  5. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some of us out of state folks have found this to be the contrary. Been stopped and told on several occasions that despite being on a plated motorcycle and sharing a mountain pass with jeeps, UTVs, etc. It's us that are supposed to have a permit. I'm fine with getting one and supporting the system, but those fucks in jeeps need to buy one too... if nothing more than as a tax for going so slow.:deal
    Rystror likes this.
  6. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    I know it has seemed confusing and lots of misinformation. What i wrote is based on my phone call to the Colorado State Parks office in Montrose this morning. ATV or singletrack, yes OHV. Typical passes, jeep roads plates are fine.
    I always have both, but my bike goes on all variety of trails, so the $25.25 is cheap and it does really give back. We have great trails out here!
    DirtyDog likes this.
  7. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Great info above and here is a little more info.........

Being that this is an ADVRider event, nearly all of you attending will bring or ride plated adventure bikes. Although, nearly every year I ran off events in the San Juan Mountains, a few would haul their "unplated" trail bikes or even ATV/UTV's for the spouse or kids to enjoy.

Just be aware that in Hinsdale, Ouray, San Juan, and San Miguel Counties, all OHV operators are required to possess a valid driver license and carry liability insurance for the OHV.

Also, the OHV sticker question for a plated bike in Colorado is clear as mud, even for me..... And I have been on the Board of Directors for the Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition. If a rider heads out, riding across our wonderful state, they could easily encounter a trail or route that is designated OHV without knowing or have awareness they are on such a route unless they are very well informed with the maps. At the end of the day, it comes down to the trail or route you are riding.... doesn't matter if your bike is plated or not. Always, I highly recommend swinging by the local Forest Service/BLM office and picking up one of their MVUM maps, which are free and clearly show which trails and routes are OHV designated.

If you want complete reassurance and never a worry.... Just drop the $25.25 and get the sticker. $17 of that amount goes directly back into the trails.

Wish it were more simple and more clear, but tis the way it is.

And so that Colorado is even more confusing.... there are two different types of stickers. One is for "out of staters" and "in-state un-plated registration" and one is for "in-state that is plated". Both are $25.25. No LEO will be picky about which you have..... just so long as you have one or the other. Most dealers aren't sure which to sell and issue.

Once again... it is NOT about vehicle type.... it depends upon which road, route or trail you are on. Every single Jeep owner I know in Colorado has the sticker, because eventually they will be on a route that requires the sticker.

MountainsandRivers likes this.
  8. NJjeff

NJjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that makes sense.
    The trails are awesome and worth way more than the $25 fee.
  9. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Just ordered my OHV permit, 5 day fishing license, and the mandatory habitat stamp.
    Shipping is free, but be advised-
    "USPS is currently taking up to 20 business days to deliver. If your season starts in the next two weeks please select "pick up at agent" and pick up at any CPW location or sales agent (no additional fee) or select "Express Shipping" (additional fee)."

Express shipping would have been another $40 :eekers
    Of course, you can always stop at a license dealer in CO and get these endorsements. In my experience, it was way quicker online.
    Newner likes this.
  10. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Following the front tire... Hopefully... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just registered! 1st timer. Riding a Himalayan.
    My son and his non-riding girlfriend are hoping to join me as well.
    I am excited!
    Rystror likes this.
  11. Rystror

Rystror n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll be there. I'll be riding my f800gs. I'll be bringing my GF Kati. I'm trying to get her on a bike at some point. Hopefully we'll be bringing the puppy, he's 9 months old. Black lab.

This will be my first time to an event like this.
  12. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    @Scribe Hope you Arkansas van-bros don’t encounter any rocks this big. Rendered the wife’s Transit about as effective as a turtle on a fence post today.
    EDA39DFF-2BD1-40D8-83EC-D2F3E82208CB.jpeg
  13. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Yikes. Yes, the rear shock mounts are a known issue for traveling off-road. There is a company that makes a high-clearance version but they're spendy. Probably not as spendy as a tow truck though.
    DirtyDog likes this.
  14. CimarronEric

CimarronEric Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ACK! Always put the tire ON the rock.
    CorreCaminos and DirtyDog like this.
  15. DirtyDog

Oddometer:
    Her real mistake is going to this particular eroded, rocky, narrow lake access spot when there's one that accommodates boat trailers less than 100 yards away. But I digress.
    CimarronEric likes this.
  16. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Just as long as you dont remind her too often about it. We hope to see you at the rally!
    DirtyDog likes this.
  17. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it an option to camp out Sunday night so one can leave Monday morning?
  18. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately no. Sunday will just be break down. The KOA in Ouray is a good choice, Ridgway State Park or we can direct you to some primitive areas.

I might try to squeeze in some afternoon riding either on the Plateau or Peach Valley if myself and my bike hold up for the weekend.
  19. The Rizz

The Rizz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Registered and paid! Riding from the Front Range if anyone wants to ride over together. Maybe on parts of COBDR.
  20. meate8or

meate8or little dirt never hurt nothin

Oddometer:
    Registered and paid. Probably solo, trucking in from Los Angeles, but trying to convince my brother to fly out from TX. Also ordered OHV pass. Looking forward to meeting everyone and having a good time.

Marlon