Colorado West Fest; September 10-12, 2021; Registration Now Open!

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Big_John, May 3, 2021.

1. Northwoods Snowman

Northwoods Snowman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Registered. What kind of fuel range is needed for the more technical stuff? :hmmmmm I'm still debating if I want to bring my Africa Twin in addition to my EXC 525 and decide last minute where I want to ride, but I can either leave my 3.4 gallon tank on my EXC or put the big boy 6.0 on.
    DirtyDog likes this.
  2. 61rover

61rover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tim 3.4 should be fine. I have a 525 as well and that big tank is pretty unwieldy on mountain trails.
    Northwoods Snowman likes this.
  3. Northwoods Snowman

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks.
  4. CorreCaminos

CorreCaminos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My Beta 500 RRS has a 2.4 gal tank plus I carry two one-liter bottles. I think it's good for about 90-100 miles. Is that going to be enough if riding from campsite to trails and back?
  5. 61rover

61rover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. There is also gas in Ouray, Rdgeway, and Lake City.
  6. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Beta 525 has a 3.4 gal tank and i don't have any issues. I don't pass a fuel stop to be safe. Silverton also has fuel choices, Telluride and Rico as well.
    If you are on hwy 145 between Telluride and Placerville, the Sawpit Mercantile has fuel and really good BBQ as well. Easy to incorporate that as a stop if you are going over Last Dollar Rd and heading to the Beaver Park area off Fall Creek rd, which can either take you to Norwood or toward Dunton/Rico.
    CorreCaminos likes this.
  7. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Omnia mea mecum porto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Received the permits today. 7 day delivery. Much better than expected.
  8. GinjaNinja

GinjaNinja n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I am so sorry to contact on a thread. The post said to PM you with quea
    Hi, and sorry to contact you on a thread when it said to do so by PM. I'm a little green (as in, inexperienced green - not as in eating granola, and smoking weed on a bicycle, green). Anyway, I'd love to join and meet new people, but I don't have much riding experience. Will there be trails/roads for wusses like me? Also, I would be coming up a day late (Friday night). Is there a place to meet up then?
    motorcycle john likes this.
  9. 61rover

61rover Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you will join us. A few years ago I did exactly the same thing. I had been out of riding for some time. I rode to Westfest in Steamboat and didn't know a soul. Everyone was so welcoming and I made many new friends. Just come up to the campsite on Friday. It's going to be dinner on your own but we should have grills for folks to use and hopefully some side dishes. as for trails, there is a wide variety. Best thing to do is ask around on Friday evening or at breakfast on Saturday. I've always been able to find a ride that suited me.
    GinjaNinja likes this.
  10. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Owl Creek Pass is very close to Ridgway, great dirt road with incredible scenery. Little atv trail offshoots occasionally.
    Last Dollar Rd between Ridgway and Telluride is another pretty easy dirt road.
    You could then head south on hwy 145, or up the Illium rd for more dirt, over Lizard Head pass and take a left on Bolam Pass. Over to Purgatory. Left on 550, right on Old Lime Creek Rd, back to 550 and probably slab back to camp.
    Just some thoughts off the top of my head..
    GinjaNinja likes this.
  11. dustin_f

dustin_f n00b

Oddometer:
    Trying to work out the logistics with the wife but we're leaning towards trying to come, will probably camp locally and I'd ride in while she does tourist stuff with our little one. Then comes the question of bringing the 790 or the dirt bike.
  12. Edoz

Edoz n00b sauce

Oddometer:
    I just signed up. I'll be riding my Tiger out there from Tulsa.
    I checked the box that said I'm planning on camping at rally HQ, I'm guessing that's the main area?
    Newner and DirtyDog like this.
  13. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Yes. Rally HQ is definitely the main area for hanging out for sure!
    CorreCaminos and Edoz like this.
  14. JoeWithTheTruth

JoeWithTheTruth n00b

Oddometer:
    New member here and seriously thinking about this one! Will you welcome a vagrant on a KLR?
    Newner likes this.
  15. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Of course! Perfect bike for the passes around here.
  16. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    One thing to note for your various ride day plans. It appears that the Imogene Pass Run will be on Saturday, Sept 11th. A long running race for those so inclined! That means that the pass will basically be closed from 6am to 2:30 pm. So plan on running that on Friday or Sunday, or later in the afternoon on Saturday. By planning to go over Ophir pass or Black Bear, lunch in town, etc then head over Imogene, it might not affect a lot of plans, but i wanted to get it out there ahead of time to consider.
  17. Northwoods Snowman

Oddometer:
    I have no idea what pass that is or event; I plan to ride with someone who knows where the heck they're going, lol.
  18. Northwoods Snowman

Oddometer:
    Got my trail sticker in the mail today; about a week to deliver.

What's the camping area like? Level, rocky? Any trees to hang a hammock from? Trying to figure out what equipment I want to bring for sleeping arrangements.
  19. MountainsandRivers

Oddometer:
    Hammocks would be real easy and that is my plan as well. There are a variety of level areas. It is primitive, but that is part of the adventure. The main gathering area is cleared. Plenty of options really.
    Newner likes this.
  20. Northwoods Snowman

Oddometer:
    Takes the fun out of it if I'm (not) sleeping with rocks sticking in my back and I get up exhausted in the AM... I get tired enough riding, much less starting the day off exhausted; recipe for disaster I've learned. :muutt:kurt

I have a tent, would have to get a hammock though if I were to go that route. Hence why I'm asking.