ColoWife's New Ride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Colorado, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Colorado

Colorado Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    I love it when things work out, like it was planned that way. ColoWife has recently expressed an interest in a more dirt-worthy bike. Not that her F650GS isn't capable in the right hands (like Jimmy Lewis'), but it's not a bike that she feels comfortable riding into the great beyond.

Trouble is, most light weight dirt-worthy bikes are way too tall (XR250) or too heavy (F650) or too . . . something. Until we found a Super Sherpa. In today's paper. With extras. For a great price. And, get this, with only 315 miles on the clock!

Tonight, ColoWife is a very very happy camper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    i'm impressed by the concrete paved driveway.
  3. RubberDown

RubberDown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The smile says it all! :D
  4. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    :clap lets see wheelies... c'mon colowife. we're a bunch o wimps we need more gurls to play with.
  5. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Excellent! And already has the high fender swap. Great little scoot for exploring your fine state!

:beer
  6. Colorado

Colorado Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Hey Arch, it was your thread, "Colorado - Dual Sport Nirvana," and great pics (featuring your pretty wife) that convinced Claudia to get a more serious dirt bike, I think.

She was so happy to get up this morning, go to the garage and take another look at her new toy. It's a great feeling to have a happy family!
  7. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Colowife looks really happy. Way to go!
  8. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, I was just thinking what a great bike the Sherpa is. Are they no longer sold in the States? They are still available at Canadian Kawasaki dealers.

Are the valves screw and locknut or shim adjustment?
  9. Colorado

Colorado Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    They haven't been sold in the US since 2003. I'm told the valves use shims for adjustment. From what I've read, it is supposed to make 26hp at 9,000 rpm (!) and I believe it. It seems to have plenty of go on the street.
  10. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Happy to be of service, Colorado1. :evil
  11. PaleRider

PaleRider gelande/strasse

Oddometer:
    nice ride Claudia :thumb

:wave
  12. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Hooray for ColoWife. I regret not looking for a Sherpa for SheWhomHanndaMustObey. We got the '04 KLR 250, new, instead - and while she's very happy with her bike, I regret it. The lower seat height, the electric foot and lighter weight would have made the Sherpa a better ride off-road. I'm sure it's every bit as competent on road as the KLR and better off road for a shorter rider. My mistake. Wish I'd have done it your way.
  13. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    How tall is the missus? I'm looking to go a similar route for Mrs. Peeps. :ear
  14. Hannda

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you were asking about ColoWife or my wife. To be safe, I'll answer as well - my wife is 5'4" and rides her KLR 250 just fine. She can't flat foot it, but has all of the balls of her feet on the ground (much the way most of us ride KLR 650s). I just don't like the kick start and think a seat height of an inch less, coupled with a few less pounds, would have made the Super Sherpa a better bike for her - at least off-road. I think we went with the KLR because we liked the red better than the green, because it'd be new with warranty and is water cooled. The KLR 250 is a great bike, don't get me wrong. She has no problem keeping up with my KLR 650 on the road or trail, but you can't take it on the highway (with Colorado's 75 mph speed limit). On HWY 105 or 67 it's great. Goes 60 or 65 mph without a problem and has FAR less vibration than the KLR 650. When my fanny and hands are sound asleep my wife is as fresh as if we'd just started our ride. She prefers riding her bike over mine on the road as well as the trail. But the weight and the kick start . . . . .

If you have Mrs. Peeps sit on a new KLR250 in the showroom, don't be alarmed at the seat height. The rear shock WILL SACK OUT after about 250 miles and the seat will drop a full inch to inch an a half when she's sitting on the bike (unless Mrs. Peeps is one of those "98 lbs. soaking wet" types - in which case you'll have to force yourself :evil to put a few hundred miles on it for her and promise to send me a bikini photo). I've offered to stiffen up the rear shock on my wife's bike a few times, but she's very happy with the stock setting and likes the sag that enables her to get her feet comfortably on the ground. Get past the kick start and it's a great bike. Assume that, if Mrs. Peeps is a typical rider and not an ex-motocrosser, the KLR 250 will be, for her, the equivalent of a KLR650 for you as regards off-road worthiness. Want a little more off roadability in a DS, find a Super Sherpa. Just my thoughts.
  15. Colorado

Colorado Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    Claudia is 5'4". But now she thinks she's King Kong.

She wanted a dirt bike that she could flat foot on both sides. I tried convincing her that dirt bikes are so light you can easily lean them over and get one foot down. She tried that but wasn't satisfied. As it turns out, the Super Sherpa suits her fine. The rear shock preload is cranked up about half way in the pics and she is still okay with it. It looks like it still has a fair amount of suspension travel for someone her size.

We'll probably do Phantom Canyon and Stagecoach Road/Gold Camp Road this weekend if you (or anyone) want to join us on a mellow dirt ride.
  16. Maineboarder88

Maineboarder88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very cool, I was thinking of that exact bike for my wife. She's got similar dimensions. Maybe this thread will convince her to go for it. Thanks.
  17. chuckklr04

chuckklr04 Banned

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! The KLR250 is better offroad than the Sherpa. More ground Clearence and shock travel. It also makes a few more ponies. It also is 5 mph faster top end than the Sherpa.
  18. Linzi

Linzi Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer:
    You also have to kick it every time you want it to start, and that gets really old really fast when you're stuck in a tricky spot on a 90 degree day. :D

The Sherpa is a fantastic little scoot and a terrific choice. Congrats to ColoWife! :clap

[​IMG]
  19. Hannda

Oddometer:
    No question about it, the KLR is more of an enduro bike - and would be a much better ride for someone my, and probably your, size. However, the weight, the seat height and the electric foot of the Sherpa, if only in my mind, makes it a better choice for people who are shorter of inseam and, perhaps, not as strong as you are. For me personally, I'd take the KLR over the Sherpa. For my wife? I regret getting the KLR over the Sherpa - even though she, fortunately, disagrees with me. I can't imagine the Sherpa not going anywhere my wife, or I for that matter, have the riding skills to go off road. If they had still been importing them into the States when we finally bought bikes in '04 she'd have one. As it was, for new bikes, our choices for my 5'4" wife were the XT225 and the KLR250. The Yamaha was a better fit, and supposedly a great ride off road for people with our limited skill set, but reportedly underpowered for the road. If I could have afforded to get her a road bike AND a dirt bike, I'd have gone with the XT225 for her DS bike. However; being able to afford only one bike for each of us, we needed one that she could fit on that would have to address ALL of our riding needs while addressing our laughable budget. We each wound up with KLRs. FWIW, I've never heard anyone complain about their Sherpa. They seem to have a strongly loyal following (see post from Linzi, above). Perhaps a stronger following than the KLR250.
  20. Colorado

Colorado Trail Boss

Oddometer:
    I rode the Sherpa a few times last night to get the chain warmed up for cleaning, more cleaning and lubing. It has plenty of power for the street, feels as light as a regular dirt bike and handles great. The air-cooled engine gives off a bit of heat (I was wearing shorts, though) but is pretty high-revving for a thumper. To me it feels like a light, 3/4-size dirt bike. I guess that's why it "fits" my wife. I can't imagine a better DS bike for Claudia at this time.

Anyone want to join us on an easy ride Saturday? Claudia needs to get familiar with her new toy. We'll probably trailer the XR400 and Sherpa to Victor and do Gold Camp Road and Phantom Canyon.