Combat Touring Boots - Converted from Velcro to Buckle

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SamTheEagle, Aug 6, 2005.

1. SamTheEagle

SamTheEagle Sam the Eagle

Oddometer:
    WOOT!

This has been on my to-do list for a long time. Maybe a year ago I pestered both Aerostich and Motonation and finally got myself 4 complete sets of buckles and straps etc.

I finally got around to hunting down a cobbler who was willing to take on the job.

Here are the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am very pleased so far (of course, I've only ridden about 20 miles back from the cobbler to my house. But he seems to have done a perfect job and he only charged me $35. Very fast turnaround time, as well (a couple of days).

So ... 2 thumbs up to

Paul's Shoe Repair
    7 Bartlet Street
    Andover, MA 01810
    (978) 474-9320

I am ONLY a satisfied customer and I gain nothing from this. Paul is a great guy, used to be a long distance iron butt rider, and he frequently does repairs for motorcyclists and motorcycle racers (from what he told me).

I paid about $50 for the 4 sets of buckles and $35 for the conversion. Now I never have to worry about my velcros wearing out.

:norton
  2. lddave

lddave been there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea and yes Paul was a long distance rider he rode the Ural in the 2001 IronButt .
  3. Manwell

Manwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good! I had velcro problems on my CBT's and Sidi replaced it with no questions asked... Although I ride on the street all of the time, these have proved to be great boots for me.
  4. dizave

dizave Team Blitzed

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's awesome. I love the CBT's but the velcro does suck. How do you get the buckles??? Andover is even doable for me.
  5. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    My veclro is worn out! I need buckles, where did you get them like Dizdude asked?
  6. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    That was a GREAT tale. Well worth looking it up in the IBA archives. No wonder, he would be willing and able to take up this job....minor after wrestling that Ural on the IBR.
  7. SamTheEagle

Oddometer:
    You dizoods need to work on your dizreading dizcomprehension.

:deal

Motonation and Aerostich supplied me with all the bits and pieces I needed. Make sure you get 3 pieces per "buckle":

- strap
    - buckle
    - female strap holder (for lack of a better term)

I'm loving my buckles. Just do it!
  8. DAM

DAM Lets Talk About Ducks

Oddometer:
    Sam,

How long did your velcro last before wearing out?

DAM
  9. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    I'm not Sam but mine only lasted about 6 months. A trip to the old fabric store for industrial strenght velcro ($2) and $4 at the shoe shop fixed that. Yes... I could have asked Aerostich for the parts but in less than an hour, it was solved and four plus years later, I'm pretty pleased with the boots.
  10. SamTheEagle

Oddometer:
    I was getting about 1 year before the velcro was dead. I should have replaced them earlier, but was lazy.

I use these boots as my daily commuters year-round (minus snow/ice days).

- Sam
  11. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. RAW

RAW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why won't Aerostich/Sidi just make this change in the manufacturing process? I'd own a pair of these already if there were buckles instead of velcro.
  13. motowest

motowest Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Isn't it hard teaching an old dog new tricks? I think the buckle modification is another improvement Aerostich/Sidi should consider for their boots. I haven't bought a pair yet, although I would be more interested if the boots weren't full of velcro. I've actually been thinking about the "lite" version since I don't need another set of boots that are over-the-calf.

My Darien has a velcro strap at the neck/collar which is mostly worn out (well, so is the jacket:lol3 ). I guess it's time for some new gear. BTW, I think the AnnieGS collar-mod is another modification Aerostich should make to their Darien jacket (but, we already know that, right?). My two cents, FWIW (probably one cent:rofl ).
  14. Odysseus

Odysseus Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer:
    Sam, the velcro closure was about the only thing stopping me from going with the combat touring boots. Well done!
  15. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    This is worth a bump. :thumb I've been thinkin' I'd get a set of these since my big wreck, but had read enough to be paranoid about the velcro. :nono

Now where's that Aerostich number? :evil

:scratch They list 'em in a 12.5 and a 13.5. I wear a 13 in just about everything, but think I've heard they run a little small, if anything, so I'm thinkin' the 13.5 will be right. Can anyone confirm this? :ear
  16. GSman of La Mancha

GSman of La Mancha So!? My dog loves me...

Oddometer:
    I have several pairs of boots. My favorite are the CBTs I have a bout 12k miles on mine. No problems yet with velco.

I LOVE the buckles!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way freakin cool. I'm gonna take your pix with some buckles to my local shoe dude and see if he can do the work.
  17. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    They do. They're called Sidi Discoveries.
  18. Canadane

Canadane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why not just buy a pair of Sisi Discovery in the first place.
    I have had mine for 4 years and 80,000 kms, and the buckles and boots are still like new; no better since they are broken in.
    Gorm L., BC, Canada
  19. Canadane

Canadane Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, typo!! :eek1
  20. RAW

RAW Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's what I ended up buying. I've had the Discoveries for about a year now.

The only thing I don't like about them is the metal toe wrap/cap thing.
    With a short inseam on a tall bike you end up just getting your toes down, but the metal cap prevents you from getting any traction on the asphalt.