Come Again? Fly 'n Ride to Get a Sidecar Tug!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by G-Tex, Jun 29, 2010.

1. G-Tex

G-Tex Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer:
    A Heavily Fortified Compound in North Oak Cliff
    This coming Thursday, I will leave DFW for Baltimore in order to get an R1150GS that has been expertly prepared by Ron Orem of Middle Atlantic boxerhead fame.

The Plan:

July 1st:
    Fly: DFW to BWI.
    Ride: Owings Mills to Somewhere between Roanoke, VA and Erwin, TN. (Probably Jonesbourough, TN)

[​IMG]

July 2nd:
    Ride: TBA to Corinth, MS via Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway

[​IMG]

The Prize:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Grand Scheme:

With the help of the boys over in the Hacks forum, I figured out that I wanted to use an R1150GS to build my sidecar rig. I chose the R1150GS due to the availability of the 41L Touratech Tank and the general consensus that it is a great tug. This particular R1150gs already has the 41L TT tank installed and sorted, an Adventure transmission, and many modifications that I would have done, had I had started from scratch! On top of all this, Ron is universally accepted as a "pretty handy wrench" and I know that the bike has been cared for in a spectacular fashion. I'm super excited to get this project off the ground, because I want to include my wife (currently pregnant with daughter #2) and 15 month old on rides; the sidecar is the perfect solution.

More to come...:deal
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    So what happened?

:lurk
  3. G-Tex

G-Tex Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer:
    Got home tonight. RR to come!
  4. G-Tex

G-Tex Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer:
    5:45CDT: I got the the airport early on Day 1 in order to avoid the dreaded middle seat that had been assigned by AA...The flight was oversold...big time...the only seat I could select online was on the next to last row and in the middle...what a :bash...I hauled the wife, 15 month old, and my bag of bones to DFW super early and was able to get a slightly better seat...32B...Last Row, Aisle...right next to the left engine is where I ended up sitting, as I got the window after a little horse-swapping...it was going to be a long day.

12:25EDT: I walk off the plane at BWI and immediately meet Ron Orem, attired in a bright yellow 'Stich T-Shirt. We hook it on out to the garage and start making progress towards his home Northwest of Baltimore. Ron explains the in's and out's of R1150GS operation and it is confirmed...this dude really knows Oilheads. I have complete confidence in the machine I am about to purchase sight unseen. The normally excruciating Baltimore traffic passed quickly during our conversation.

13:10EDT: We arrive at Casa de Ron and I see the bike for the first time...it's pretty gorgeous for a big fat R1150GS with the 41L TT tank...We do an inventory of parts added, modified, or replaced by Ron:

R1150GS Adventure accessory plug
    Touratech "Tank" 41L fuel tank
    Aeroflow Tall Shied with Laminar Lip
    PIAA 910's
    GSA Beak Conversion
    Touratech Headlight Cover
    Custom-Made Headlight Glare Blocker
    Steering Stop Guard-TT Hard Part
    Front Brake Hose Guard-TT Hard Part
    BMW Magnesium head covers
    Wunderlich Foot Guards
    Touratech Wide Foot Pegs
    Touratech Fat Foot on Sidestand
    Carbon Fiber Master Cylinder Guard
    Touratech Hand Guards with Large Spoilers
    Bob's Wrist Rest
    Touratech Skid/Bash Plate
    Touratech Center Stand Plate
    Jesse Rear Toolbox with Luggage Rack Mounted
    LED Flashing Tailight
    Happy Trails Luggage
    Touratech Tank Bag
    ...and...the DELIGHTFULLY EASY TO USE....Wunderlich Retracting Lift Handle

HOLY CRAP THIS BIKE HAS EVERYTHING....

[​IMG]

13:45EDT: After a glass of lemonade and the usual exchange of currency and handshakes, Ron had put his mind to getting me to I-70 the right way. We departed Casa de Ron and made a loop out of town towards I-795 and onwards towards I-70.

Nice little route...

[​IMG]

14:30EDT: Ron sends me on my way out on to I-70 and back west...

14:45EDT: I decided to get some water and pull over....where...is...my...wallet, and...where is my iPhone?

:kboom

I luckily had the title to the bike with Ron's address and my gps (unmounted)...

15:30EDT: I arrive back at Casa de Ron to collect my wallet and iPhone...:eek1...Ron consoles my angst by sharing that he had once ridden through an entire 41L tank's worth of gas...only to find out that he had left his wallet at home. He got out of the situation by leaving a rather expensive knife as collateral for the gasoline...

16:20EDT: I arrive back at the point where I discovered my mistake. Continuing onward, I fight through the July 4th traffic around Harper's Ferry. Beautiful scenery.

18:20EDT: I chug a Subway sandwich and get back on the road.

18:20EDT-23:30EDT: Blissful miles through the gorgeous Shenandoah Valley. I had planned to do a bit of riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, but my little "mistake" took up all the time for that. The PIAA 910s were AWESOME! SO MUCH LIGHT!!! AND THEN...I got to I-26. What an Interstate...it reminds me of some of the twistier stretches of I-70 in Colorado. It was pitch black and I was all alone on the road. I was in the zone. Long, 1/2 mile long sweeper were silky smooth on the R1150GS. This motor, in this bike is fabulous. I'm accustomed to my 990ADV's grunt and raw power. The boxer is a different beast altogether.

23:30EDT: I pull into the Holiday Inn Express near Asheville's Airport and prepare for the next day...

Stats:
    5 States: Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina
    590 Miles
    [​IMG]

00:00EDT: Light's Out: The Dragon and Cherohala Tomorrow.
  5. G-Tex

G-Tex Sneaky Bastard

Oddometer:
    Woke up on Day 2 with the sun and took off for the Cherohola and Tail of the Dragon.

Arrived at the Dragon around 9am and got a pic.

[​IMG]

While I was there, I was approached by another rider with a pronounced northern accent. He wanted to know "what outfit" I was with, referring to the 1st Calvary sticker that was on the back of my pannier. Ron Orem's license plate was a "Combat Infrantry Badge" plate and I had to explain the whole situation. It was really cool to be approached by a complete stranger (although mistakenly) to discuss service in the name of our country, dually special around the 4th of July. The rest of the day, I thought about the brave men and women around the world and although I'm definitely not part of their fraternity, I gained a new appreciation for the depth of their experience by the simple act of someone coming out of the blue to talk about their experience. :clap:clap:clap:wave:wave:wave:thumb:thumb:thumb

So, after my experience at Deal's Gap, I proceeded up the Dragon; IT WAS EMPTY! :deal

Great ride!

Killboy got this shot of me...

[​IMG]

It was an epic ride on the Dragon; no trucks (clearly due to the rock-slide closure), no cars, ZERO motorcycles going west, 3-4 coming back east, TN HWY Patrol was at the far end, just before the big overlook...like I said, perfect conditions.

I came back through Deal's Gap and headed on towards the Cherohala and Tellico Plains.

I get on NC143 towards Tellico and am having a great time. Rolling along at about 70mph and generally having a smooth, zoned-in ride. About 4 miles in, I come upon 5 bikes all lined up and doing about 65mph. On one of the longer downhill straightaways I take the group and continue on at my comfortable 70mph. All of a sudden, the lead rider of the "group of 5" has more or less caught up and is 200 feet off my tail.

The next 30 miles comprise the best street-riding experience I have ever had; my toes and pegs were dragging nearly every long sweeper. My R1150GS and his FJR1300 were screaming through the corners...rarely more than 85mph, but never less than 70. I was doing my best to ride without my brakes and use the engine and steering as my only inputs to the bike. It was blissful.

At the bottom of the hill, we encountered some traffic and my FJR buddy got caught behind the group. I pulled into the first gas station on the left and went about my business. The whole time we were riding, I wasn't sure if I had upset the FJR rider with my 5-bike pass, so I was constantly wondering whether he was trying to catch me to give me "a talkin-to" or what. After I returned with my waters and Gatorade, the FJR guy pulled in. I filled up the 41L TT monster and the FJR guy came back out and rode over to me while I was preparing to get going.

It happened in an instant; he said, "That was fucking awesome!" to which, I nodded and wished him "a good ride"...and that was it. An acknowledged Epic Ride..."Now this"...I thought..."This is the fraternity that I belong to"..."this...is MY outfit"...

The rest of the ride back to Corinth MS was fine, but I was still ramped-up by the morning's events. I pulled into Corinth around 4pm and had completed over 1100 miles in 24 hours.

Great ride!

Sorry about the lack of pictures.

[​IMG]
  6. BusyWeb

BusyWeb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  7. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great ride indeed, thanks for the added pics and report :thumb
  8. Bubba Satori