COMFORTABLE 2 UP Touring Bike On The Cheap

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Scgmc, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Scgmc

Scgmc n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the additional posts! I'll take consider the suspension specifically when looking considering that will be this bike's primary use.
  2. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    My wife and I have done a lot of 2up on a bandit 1250. It handles really well with a passenger and is surprisingly good on unpaved surfaces. Better than my Ulysses by a mile off road.
    RedEX likes this.
  3. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been in cross winds that was blowing off my magnetic tank bag on my Wee. I didn't find it to be a problem. Love mine, though only 1 up. They say plenty of power for 2 UP.
    RedEX likes this.
  4. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Go for the V-Strom 1000. Its not going to overpower you. Just ride it like any other big bike.
    LexLeroy, AdventureTrail and timeOday like this.
  5. Brokenhorse

Brokenhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both of you sit and/or ride something wrong for 2 up like a cb500x or versus 300 so you know what too small( power and actual size) 2 up feels like for comparison. Also, consider the 1000s if you are trying to pass semi trucks on high elevation passes where the elevation cause power losses.
  6. philratton

philratton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wee.
  7. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    The aircooled GS is lighter than a lot of people seem to assume (500 lbs wet), great for 2-up, and has a low center of gravity.

I have to disagree with the people recommending a 650. It's not mostly the power that's inadequate, but the brakes, the suspension, and the size overall. I know some people love them, I myself had some great rides with my wife on my VStrom 650, but it's not your first choice, particularly as you're not a small guy.

I have a 2009 R1200GS with ESA (pushbutton-adjustable suspension) and I think it's a real plus if you sometimes - but not always - ride with a passenger. I have ridden across the country a few times with my son when he was the size of your gf. The Super Tenere is available with that too.
  8. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would put it in three categories , Some FSR roads, pot holes and cruising up to 70 mph the "KLR" . Gravel and not too many pot holes , a little freeway - Wee Strom . If your brave and strong and like to cruise fast the Super Tenere . Best bike for the back of your RV or light enough for a Motorcycle carrier " KLR" . I have not had a Weestrom , the forks just look so light duty for any potholes .
  9. TinyBear

TinyBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most definitely a 2012+ V Strom 650. Hands down the best all around bike for a bit of everything. Very roomy for two up. Works well loaded down. More than enuff power for any legal riding. And most of all comfy for long hauls. I have a Corbin saddle on mine and it’s all day comfy. Have pulled off 1150kms in a day and was back on the bike the next day happily. But even the stock seat was good enuff for. 800km days consecutively.

Honestly my only gripe with the bike has only ever been it’s not an exciting bike. It’s rather boring because it’s so competent at what ever I ask of it. It’s not pretty either IMO. But these days I not looking for excitement from my machines. I looking for a reliable capable machine to take me to see places and for that I don’t thing you can beat a wee Strom for the $$$$

I had a Gen 1 wee prior and it was not a bad bike in any way. But I feel the improvements to the suspension and aero dynamics with the 2nd and 3rd Gen bikes are worth the few extra pennies in may cost ya up front.

Link to a short ride report I did on my Strom with over 300kms of gravel and some very short off roading. Going up to James bay in northern Quebec.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/northern-quebec-trip.1404431/#post-38320092
    xdsbiker and RedEX like this.
  10. McBoab

McBoab Fast side of farty

Oddometer:
    Cheap , Comfortable 2 -up. As already stated :- Consider a Yam SuperTenere. its not light but carries its weight low . Has good original suspension and its simple/reliable with very few issues, gives a good base from which to work from and has enough grunt to not leave you wanting when the need calls which a fully loaded middleweight could struggle with. I owned my Yam S10 from new (2010) for 5 years and it never let me down. There are plenty of info / threads on the S10 to peruse including two-up heavily loaded use across the americas.
  11. TinyBear

TinyBear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The other benefit to going mid sized like a wee Strom is fuel economy. I AVERAGE 4.5l/100kms (52mpg) on my Strom. Giving me over 400km range Before gaslight comes on. With the bike Fully loaded with my fat ass and all my camp gear and food For a week on the road.

As for the power I don’t see how any one feels it’s not enuff. The bike makes 70hp (maybe 65 at wheel). I had a 1986 VW Golf Diesel that made 52hp (77ft/lbs of TQ) and that car weight 2600lbs and still managed to hauled a family of 4 at 110km/hr just fine. So how much power do people think they need. Even loaded down the Strom easily breaks the Ton.
    RedEX likes this.
  12. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    DL 1000 also almost fits the bill but the 650 is a bit easier to live with. Same price - which sometimes happens the 1000 is a good buy but $ for $ the 650 is probably better.

I have both and the 650 is fine in wind, I've been on a long trip, loaded up like a pack mule and passed a group of real touring bikes parked up under a tree because of wind, (RT's, Guzzi, ST's, Multi's) and lead them 20k's to the next town where they bailed at the first bar. They tried to pass me a couple of times but had stability issues and pulled out of the passes. I rode another 600k's through a cyclone to get home.

So yeah, wind can be an issue but it's not a major one. Just drop your shoulders, smile and relax, no worries, it's the inputs from the rider that screws the bike up, otherwise very stable.
    RedEX likes this.
  13. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that a 650 would be under powered for two up touring. It sounds like most of the big bore bike are lighter once they start moving, I know the S-10 is.
  14. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    650 is fine, it has more power than some cars that were driven long distances. Yeah, you do have to think before passing and you might have to change gear more but it'll handle the weight just fine. 2 up on autobahn's maybe a problem, but it'll still do license losing speeds 2-up.

Cheap tourer was the objective here. If you could get a 2014+ 1000 or a 2012+ 650 for the same price then yes the 1000 would be a good buy.
  15. RedEX

RedEX NeverSatisfied

Oddometer:
    Yep, i've got a 2012 DL650, 53k miles, lots of two-up travel. Great bike. I don't know why people say "the 650 suffers in crosswinds," maybe the older (Gen 1) models? Mine's rock solid on freeways, passing semi's, etc. The DL650 compared to my old FJR1300 has nearly the same carrying capacity. The wifey also said the 650 was more comfortable, as a passenger.