COMFORTABLE Knee Armor?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JustKip, Mar 18, 2019.

1. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I busted up my knee pretty good 5 years ago (tibial plateau - Schatzker type 5) and did quite a lot of nerve damage both in the wreck and surgery. The CE armor in my First Gear and Tourmaster pants is painful to start, and unbearable after just a few minutes. I like the idea of armor, and like overpants in cooler weather, but the 2 I've tried are completely unacceptable(and the armor I was wearing did nothing to prevent hyperextension that caused the break). Is there anything out there with soft edges or plenty of neoprene padding, that won't irritate an already uncomfortable and overly sensitive to touch area?
    Schuk and Snake Oiler like this.
  2. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. tntriumph

tntriumph Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:

HI

I would avoid D30 pads...they are soft and comfy only when warm ...in cooler weather it gets hard and stiff and uncomfortable.

I suggest forcefield pads ...they are temp stable ..work great for impact.protection.

For the type of injury you had only a knee brace will offer protection. .. and then in an injury it may simply transfer the force to your leg bones and break them.

No perfect solution

Good luck

Scott
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ++ for Microlock. I've tried all the molecular/soft armors and the Knox is by far the most compliant at all temps. Forcefield Isolator is also good, but has a stiffer matrix at all times. I've got a bunch of Isolator CE2 pads that I'm actually replacing with Microlock due to the comfort difference.
  6. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Just caught the posting. I'm in the same situation and looking for an armor for my knees. The tube stuff look interesting but the concern is the compression factor to hold them inplace. With the nerve damage I have I'm afraid it could become very uncomfortable in a,short time.

I was pointed in the direction of the forcefield Pro v2. But thought I'd ask if you have found a solution that might be good to try.

Thanks
  7. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still riding naked. Just riding less. I'm with ya on not wanting continued contact. Any touch is uncomfortable , and worse than last year.
  8. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Well going with out really wasn't an option I'd considered. Damn I was hoping for a better idea on which direction I should explore
  9. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    I am using Klim Badlands jacket and pants. The pressure on my knee cap from the D3O armor in the pants were unbearable after a couple of hours sitting on the bike with a bent knee.

I changed to Forcefield armor, which is thinner. It helped some, but still gets uncomfortable over time. Looking for a solution myself. If the armor had an opening right where the kneecap is, but still protects, due to thickness, I would probably be good. I might carve a hole in the D3O, just to try.
  10. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
  11. BoilerRealm

BoilerRealm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its not near as thick and tough, but the new Rev'it Seesmart armor is very comfortable. I'm sure its not the best protection, but it is CE level 1 certified.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The softest high protection (CE2) armor I've found is the Knox MicroLock. It's more pliable then Forcefield, SasTec, or D3O; and has a softer feel when joint pressure is applied. It's /really/ good stuff, and I've switched to it for my jacket. I'm using the Forcefield ProPants as my leg armor solution, and they're still pretty good - but I might try switching the knee armor in them as well, since it does start to get tiring after 6-7hrs.
  13. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    I've never found the Rev'It CE2 knee armor very comfortable. It's not pliable enough.

Ironic, considering all I own is Rev'It gear.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note that he was talking about the super thin SeeSmart stuff, not the CE2 SeeFlex (which yes, is very heavy and rigid).
  15. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I was reading about the Knox Microlock. Some good reviews I've seen. Also the forcefield pants or Bohn pants, which the Bohn is only level 1 from the way I've read. The thought was maybe try a larger pant size of one of those and if it is not bothersome to get a better level 2 from Knox for in tgem.

Another thought was the forcefield back protecter which is layered and cut it to size for the knee armor. But not being a formed shape could cause a problem.
  16. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    Dainese makes the best armor. They call their standard armor "composite armor". It's a hard shell plastic with a foam/fabric backing that actually hinges, breathes and wicks. I recently tore up a knee after hitting a deer but I can still wear my Dainese pants and not feel the armor.

Compared to the sastec junk that just came in some new Scorpion stuff I was trying. Obviously Dainese understands that knees and elbows aren't the same...

Attached Files:

17. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Now do those fit into a pant leg or strap directly to the leg?
  18. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    You can get them both ways. But you'd be hard pressed to fit Dainese armor in to another brands pant leg just based on it's sheer size. Massive coverage, but slim and not bulky.
  19. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help. I'll have to check them out. I've been just dealing with the pain from the klim badlands and alpinestar pants. But it's getting worse over time. So it's moved to the top of my list.
  20. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    I bought a used pair of Dainese jackets/pants on a whim and I'm not usually a gear snob, but I was very impressed with the armor and have become spoiled to it. Dainese does armor and leather very well, unfortunately their textiles seem to be mostly comfort driven and not built out of the heartiest materials. It's pretty annoying.