COMFORTABLE Knee Armor?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JustKip, Mar 18, 2019.

1. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trying to think outside the box here... do any knee braces have an armor component as well or is it possible to put some sort of tube with armor in it over a knee brace? Trying to think of ways to take pressure off the knee cap...
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I'm aware, none of the Dainese stuff has met the CE2 certification, and I find their armor to be extremely bulky and uncomfortable.
  3. DeathValleyTiger

DeathValleyTiger Scrub

Oddometer:
    I use Pod K8 2.0's. If it's only your knee cap that is uncomfortable, high quality knee braces for motocross have an articulating knee cup, which won't contact your kneecap at all. My Pods strap on above and below the knee, with pads on the hinges to support the sides of the knee, it doesn't touch my cap at all. I use them with motocross pants(not durable at all) for supermoto, and have wrecked on the track with them, no rash at all.

If that would work for you, you can remove all the armor from your pants and just run the braces for armour/support and the pants for abrasion resistance. Pretty sure the newer ones are all designed to break/let go before a Femur will too(that's a common fear with stiff braces).
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    I have some mountain biking knee/shin protectors that are all neoprene, with a plastic outer shell. Ideally you'll find good CE rated motorcycle armor, but if you don't, it's worth looking at knee armor for other activities as well. Armor you can wear is better than armor you can't.

Hopefully you can try before you buy. Least comfortable knee armor I've tried is the older Forcefield armor. This new stuff may have a better shape, but I'm not gonna bet on it.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  5. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Forcefield Isolator armor is massively different from their older nitrile rubber stuff.
  6. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    Is the knee shape different? I'd tried their older knee armor in different forms, and it differed from pretty much all other knee armor I've tried in being nearly flat: no patella room to speak of. Totally opposite of the comfort the OP is seeking. If the new stuff is different I'd love to try it.
  7. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's different? I don't know which armor in particular you're comparing it to. However, I still find the Knox Microlock to have a more comfortable shape.
  8. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    My Dainese jacket is CE 2. Not just the armor, the whole jacket. CE ratings aside, more coverage equals better protection.
  9. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your jacket is rated independently of the armor therein; just because the garment meets the old 13595 CE level 2 rating has no bearing on the armor itself. I also had a Dainese CE2 leather jacket, and the armor inside of it was rated as CE level 1, with an ancient design dating back to the 1990s.
  10. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. shinyribs

shinyribs doesn't care

Oddometer:
    What jacket do I have?

This isn't a competition for who has the latest and greatest gear bragging rights. OP asked about comfortable knee armor and I shared what info and experience I had. That's all.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    There is a cycle gear in the burgh about 70 miles from me. Now that RevZilla owns them maybe they carry more gear from different venders. The last time I was there the picking was pretty slim. But another option is their store in Philly. It's a haul but a long weekend could be a good idea to check out some stuff. I was there a few years back when I bought my Badlands. The gals were surprisingly knowledgeable about the products and easy on the eyes. Wink wink
  13. wanderlost

wanderlost Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about wearing the Bohn armor pants which are reportedly very comfortable and they could give "some" protection, but not as much as any of the above listed products. Possibly with the Bohn armor under your gear you would be more comofortable with some of the other armor over it.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  14. spartanman

spartanman regret minimizer

Oddometer:
    Shaolin and JustKip like this.
  15. Schuk

Schuk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here in Germany there is Ortema. I dont know if they sell overseas.
    https://www.ortema-shop.com/en-us/motobike/protection-knie
    It is a orthosis manufacturer who has specialized in braces for sport applications (skiing, tennis, motorbike, mtb, etc). They do advertise a lot at motorbike events.
    These braces are used by people who have already had a knee injury. So these things are more of a medical device (with the appropriate prices).
    I have talked to them as I did tear my cruciate ligament and my meniscus while skiing last winter. I am still in recovery. For motocross and skiing they are selling of the shelf braces called X-Pert. They are made from plastics and prevents overextension by torsion and impact to the kneecap. The protective plates can be removed if you need more airflow in exchange for protection.
    If you want better fitting ones you can get the deluxe model K-Com. These are custom molded and made from carbon with titan rods. Prices only on request.

They were very proud pointing out that the joints made from titan are very rigid and small, so that you can fit normal riding pants and can still hug your bike with your knees while standing on your pegs. Indeed they are very small compared to my prescription braces I am currently wearing.
  16. explodingmouse

explodingmouse Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wear the long Forcefield isolator pro level 2 , all day comfortable.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  17. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    I did a lot of video watching and review reading in the last couple days. I believe I'm going to try the Knox Action Pants. But from what I can find no one in the us has my size. So I'm going to order from the Visor Shop which I done business with in the past. Quick service from the other part of the world.
  18. KC-10ENG

KC-10ENG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been wearing Alpinstar SX-1's lately for all things moto. I just finished a 1000 mile trip wearing there under a Klim traverse set up. No issues what to ever and they stay in place when wearing my Sidi adventure boots and Sidi Charger boots depending on the boots that I am wearing.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  19. stujamur

stujamur keep rollin rollin rollin

Oddometer:
    Leatt 3df
  20. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    I might have to go this route in order to mitigate the pressure on the patella. I'll give it a shot. Sounds promising on the video.