Coming from texas to Long Island - Need Adv Advice

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Textanker, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Textanker

Textanker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy from Houston. My wife's family is from LI (Cutchogue area) and we go up every summer for a couple of weeks. This year we are going to drive and will be taking my bike with us. I have no experience with the area but I wanted to see if I could get some help finding some Adv routes. I expect to be able to get a couple of days at least to break out on my own. Soooo . . .

- Anything on Long Island?
    - I could do NY state, but I'd prefer to avoid the city ; nothing against it, it just isn't my thing. Houston is a small town in comparison.
    - I could take the LI ferry across to Conn and work my way north
    - Vermont area? - I've been skiing there and it was ridiculously beautiful.
    - I see that the NEBDR is opening up in March as well, so that is an option.

Thanks all.
  2. Z1_NESTer

Z1_NESTer Call me Hollywood

Oddometer:
    Come to the Hudson Valley area just North of NYC. It has all the riding and sights you could want. The counties of Putnam, Dutchess, Columbia on the East side of the Hudson. The counties of Orange, Ulster and Greene plus the Catskills on the West side of the Hudson. Google map it and explore. Or just hit any of us up from the area.

I grew up in LI and got away from it by moving North.
  3. RJ Str8

RJ Str8 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You’ve got the right idea with the ferry to CT and heading north from there. There is some great riding to be had in Mass, VT and NH. Check the gps threads on this site for tracks. TMT and puppy dog are particularly good. Enjoy!
  4. Hobbomock

Hobbomock I's wide open Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bringing a little bike?
    See Pachaug Forest in Voluntown, CT (Arcadia Forest nearby in RI has miles of dirt roads more suitable for a larger ADV bike)

Smaller area but decent trails: up Rt 8 from the LI ferry is Thomaston Dam riding area, camping at Black Rock State Park. Then western Mass or Catskills is near enough for day 2...

You'll see threads in this forum for Pachaug, Thomaston and W. Mass.
    Vermont is ambitious but absolutely Riding Nirvana.

Enjoy!
  5. Textanker

Textanker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I am lucky that I could bring either a KTM 790 Adventure R (Yes, I know, hate me) or a KTM 500 EXC (Hate me more).

Excellent advice. Thanks so much.
  6. Hobbomock

Hobbomock I's wide open Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stay longer, bring both.

I know my in-laws are much more tolerable when I'm out riding...
  7. algunn

algunn Adventuring in NJ

Oddometer:
    Central and southern NJ have lots of riding if you like it flat and sandy.