Coming full-circle... Solo Lobo's next project - 1984 R100RS

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Solo Lobo, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing

Oddometer:
    Full disclosure, this isn't really "full-circle" since my first BMW as an R60/5 toaster... but my next two BMW airheads after that toaster were both 1983 R100RS's.

Here's my first RS, which inspired me to quit my job and take two months riding around the US... this bike and my trip on it convinced me that the BMW community (and most BMW dealers) were really different than other brand's and this experience converted me to a BMW loyalist... this one was sold to allow me to buy a K75S that I rode through my grad school career (I thought I needed ultra-bland-reliability).

That bike taught me to hate Corbin seats, which was reinforced two more times on other bikes...

[​IMG]

I missed this one so much that I got the next one (also a 1983) by trading a Ducati to GP Motorcycles... this one turned out to be a bit of a heartbreaker as it was never as good as the Alaskan blue RS. I sold this one to by a used R1100RS and that oilhead convinced me I needed Airheads and just wasn't an oilhead guy (the R1100RS was traded to an inmate here for my old R100GS)

[​IMG]

So, after finishing most of the work on my R80G/S and R65LS, my wife told me that I really needed a new project... I posted a wanted add on the PNW forum here (looking for an R100S in truth) and an inmate asked if I had any interest in an R100RS.....here's the first shot I saw of it

[​IMG]

I am a sucker for a BMW airhead that needs work (just check my treads below if you don't believe me) and was totally inspired by Renner's on-going RS rehab thread as well... since this one wasn't an '83 I feel like I won't be trying to compare this to my old Alaskan blue RS (let me dream a little here ok?)

The inmate was passing this on to me from another owner, and he did get the bike running last week, but that is all I know about the mechanical condition right now.

My brother in-law sold the blue truck that appeared in my other two threads, so I rented a motorcycle trailer from uHaul, great trailer and something like $23 for 24 hours and drove down from WA to OR yesterday

[​IMG]

Here's the best re-creation I can do of the "truck shot" from my last two threads...

[​IMG]

Loaded and ready for the trip back to WA from OR (yesterday)

[​IMG]

Here's what provided a little push in buying this bike... we'll see if it all true

[​IMG]

Picture of the external "bling"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

40's?

[​IMG]

dual plug shot, I'll get a better one (I've never even ridden an airhead with dual plugs)

[​IMG]

And some shots of the UGLY on the bike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's pretty obvious I have my work cut out for me here, but that's what I needed.

If you are reading this, and have any parts that you think I might need for this RS (patina is fine) please drop me a line... clearly I will be needing quite a few things... seat, perhaps a rear subframe, headers, etc. Not looking for new or NOS, just serviceable as this rehab is on a bit of a budget.

I'm hoping to get this fired up this weekend, and then to start the tear-down and component rebuild/restore/repair.

I'm still serious considering converting this to an "S"... we'll see if I can find an affordable S fairing and mounting kit.
    Sburke, Pezz_gs, OLD GREEN and 10 others like this.
  2. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats Mr. Lobo!

Those look like two screw top 40mm carbs to me. Number is stamped on the casting web (94/40/XXX)

Looks like you might have 40mm exhaust too.

Spiegler FF rotor conversion? Ya done good!
    Solo Lobo likes this.
  3. bleaknessengine

bleaknessengine Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the rs’s have really grown on me, that is going to be one fine looking machine! the seat is definitely yucky, which of course probably means it is the most comfortable seat in the world.
  4. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Oh Yeaaahhh...that would be the sell for me....

[​IMG]
    dmftoy1 likes this.
  5. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Curious to see what sort of ignition and charging it has.
  6. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    I'll have more pictures by this weekend.

I know a PO purchased a new Ignition control unit from Motorrad Electrik back in 2003, and it has Dyna coils.... the plugs listed on several receipts are NGKBP6ES "long reach" 380008 and the same as "short reach" NGKBP6HS 380009

I'm going to buy a few sets now...
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  7. Boxerbreath

Oddometer:
    Looks like a little elbow grease and some loving mechanical refurbing might be all she needs.
    That centerstand looks like it was parked in saltwater though, but that's probably just Seattle.
    About that seat...
    Solo Lobo likes this.
  8. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    New (used) stock seat acquired on fleabay just now, and is on the way... the bike apparently spent time in Germany with a PO who was in the military and may have had some of the work done there.

There are receipts from California BMW Triumph, Ozzie's BMW, and Alamo BMW all from the early 2000's forgot to check what year the last tags are on this but it has been a while since it was on the road.

Perhaps the saddest thing is that the inside of the tank is pretty darn rusty, pictures later
  9. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    I just noticed that I got my R80G/S project February 21st, 2008, the R65LS project on February 23, 2015 and this RS on February 27th 2018.

Seems like I am developing a pattern here.
    Pezz_gs, Cdubs, Texer and 3 others like this.
  10. Geezerrv

Geezerrv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 83 RS was Alaska Blue and some PO painted the same gray as your second RS. I'd love to take it back to blue but it's so expensive. Looks like great engine upgrades. Cabin fever used to peak in February, maybe that's driving your bike buying this time of year.
  11. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Feel free to swing by if you need any welding or machining done. I'm further north now in Broadview.
    Solo Lobo likes this.
  12. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    So I happen to have in my stash a Hein Gericke plastic tank.... since my stock RS tank is very rusty, I might throw this tank on it.

Here's the tank (horrible color huh?

[​IMG]

Here's an old add about the tank

[​IMG]

And here is that same tank on the PO's R65... which is dressed as an RS to give you an idea....

[​IMG]
    tac650, Pezz_gs, Bigger Al and 2 others like this.
  13. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer AW, I appreciate it!
  14. ontic

ontic

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the project Gage, looks like a good one. Looking forward to following this thread.
    I think I like the Heine Gerrick tank. I do like the wudo sump. If you have to consider an ignition system, you might consider the Ignitech (TCIP4), rather reasonably priced, fully programmable to try to get the most out of your tweaked twin spark engine. I am yet to actually connect mine all up, but a few people here seem to have them working well.
    Solo Lobo likes this.
  15. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair

Oddometer:
    Those carbs looks like the 40mm bings off of a '91 up R100GS. You'll be able to check the carb nos - 40/94/123a & 124a. The vent for the float bowl breather if behind the round cover.
  16. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    You did good. Congratulations. Lots of neat stuff going on with that bike.
  17. Tiggum

Tiggum Retired

Oddometer:
    Congrats! We look forward to another of your great build threads; this will be another well-loved BMW. Still looking for an R65 here..........
    Solo Lobo likes this.
  18. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    All right, let's dig a little deeper and see what we have here...

[​IMG]

Under the tank, sorry about the photo quality my iPhone is struggling a bit today

[​IMG]

Other side

[​IMG]

Here's the ignition unit the PO replaced not that many miles ago

[​IMG]

Other side

[​IMG]

RS specific frame reinforcements, with fairing stays... the nuts on these were 1/2" nylock... rusty 1/2" nylock

[​IMG]

Some Motorrad Electrik bling

[​IMG]

Parts on the floor

[​IMG]

The RS stripped down a bit

[​IMG]

About to drain the trans oil. When I first check out the bike the level was about 1/2 of what it should have been

[​IMG]

I'd say there is a bit of rust and water in there... not too good a result

[​IMG]

The magnet didn't have much fuzz, mostly that is a glob of muck

[​IMG]

I pulled the float bowls to peek, the seller had cleaned these a bit and had the bike running... he noted they "almost had it idling well" (foreshadowing there, take note)

[​IMG]

Other side

[​IMG]

Carb number... they are 40's

[​IMG]

Intake port

[​IMG]

Another shot

[​IMG]

If there was any questions

[​IMG]

High lift rockers? I sure don't know

[​IMG]

Head shot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the frame braces

[​IMG]

Carbs checked, bowls cleaned, trans drained and filled... do the electrics work?

[​IMG]

Yup, everything works.

First attempt to start...jumping didn't work and the bike cranked too slow to fire. I had to pull the Odyssey out of my R65LS and put that in... on the charger as well.

[​IMG]

Another view

[​IMG]

First start (for me) the odd noise is fairing rattle and I noticed later the right side muffler needs to go about another inch forward (improperly installed)

Charging system works

[​IMG]

Speedo works

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More video

Left compression after running for a few minutes

[​IMG]

Rights a bit lower, as the bike needs a top-end reseal I'll be tearing it down and we'll see what the cause is

[​IMG]

I also checked the valve adjustment, the exhaust valves had an too small to measure amount of free-play, which was the same on both sides the intakes were about 50% of what they should be.... I re-set both before running it. Could be this is why the PO parked the bike, doubt it ran very well with the clearances I found.

That's it for now.... my next step will mostly likely be to strip this down completely and start repairing/replacing/etc. each piece.
    Pezz_gs, Uke, brittrunyon and 8 others like this.
  19. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    This morning I am debating fully rebuilding the carbs as the next step, and seeing how the bike runs.... then figuring out the next step.

Given the slow crank, perhaps the starter at the same time as the carbs...
  20. Renner

Renner combustophile

Oddometer:
    verry interesting. :lurk

think I'll head to the garage and start taking things apart.

btw are those valve spring retainers special CC Products titanium or something?
    That lash adjuster looks turned-out like mine did on the R80RT maybe 20k miles before needing upgraded seats.
    I'm curious where your other lash adjusters are in the span of their adjustment.

tasty bits there; like what I'm seeing.
    hope the compression differential improves