Coming full-circle... Solo Lobo's next project - 1984 R100RS

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Solo Lobo, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Solo Lobo

Solo Lobo airhead or nothing Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's one worth saving mbanzi! Not for me though I am maxed out on airheads right now
  2. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Header guards installed , and first time with bags.. had to deliver some stuff to my wife's business today.

[​IMG]
    AlfromNH, Bigger Al, SohoPhil and 4 others like this.
  3. Tiggum

Tiggum Retired

Oddometer:
    You done good, Solo.
  4. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Solo you are very talented and industrious. I like the ideas you employ and the finish you give to them.

You're also smarter than me but that's not hard to do.
  5. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Kind words for sure Diston, but I have to say I am still striving to produce your quality of work!

[​IMG]
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    It's my words that members see mostly. There have been few postings of pictures of my bike. I have done very little work on my bike for several years other than keeping it running. This year I think I have the money to do some much needed work tho, so a few pics may be in order.
  7. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Needed something to do and decided to check the valve clearances, this is about ~275 miles since I put the bike back together. at 500 I'll change all the fluids and re-check again

[​IMG]

Here's the top plug condition, the right looks a bit richer than the left, but I just re-set the mixtures and need to add more miles

[​IMG]

I found all but the left intake slightly tight and adjusted all to spec. Oddly enough the right side has one valve that is noticeably louder than the rest (before and after adjustment) not sure if this is the fairing channeling the sounds differently, the head porting making a difference or something else...remember the heads were just done and I have re-shinned the rockers. I may trade the rockers to test or just keep adding miles and see what happens....

Lastly, I used SBS brake pads on the rear and am quite happy, and EBC on the front... I have never liked EBC pads and really don't know why I used them in this case.

The SBS on the rear are generating lots of brake pad dust (I prefer organic pads)

[​IMG]

While the front EBC's generate little dust (that is a shadow on the left). The rear rotor is stock and the fronts are Spiegler.

[​IMG]
    aptbldr likes this.
  8. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Farley install at lunch today, turns out the stock engine bolt was plenty long... $25 wasted on the longer one

[​IMG]

Installed and up

[​IMG]

Down

[​IMG]

Stocker removed

[​IMG]

Lean Farley

[​IMG]

Lean stock

[​IMG]
  9. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Parts!

[​IMG]
  10. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Pads swapped, rears now match the front.

The low mile take off EBC's go into my parts stash, unless someone is in need of a pad change and wants a very slightly used set at a good price.

[​IMG]
    Jim K in PA and johnwesley like this.
  11. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Parts:

[​IMG]

Old

[​IMG]

New

[​IMG]
    Bigger Al and aptbldr like this.
  12. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    LOL, just broke down on the side of the interstate, no spark.

Guess I should have installed the bean can AW rebuilt for me... tow truck on the way!
    ME 109 and WRC51 like this.
  13. Square1

Square1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    No like!
    WRC51 likes this.
  14. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Coming down a long freeway on-ramp at WFO (still bedding the new rings) the RS lost power. This was like a light switch being turned off and not like the "you just ran the bowls nearly dry" power loss that I am sure we have all experienced when we forgot to turn on the petcocks. I switched to reserve (even though I had fueled up that morning and tried to re-start while rolling, but no luck. I stopped on the side of the freeway and unscrewed the fuel cap, making sure it wasn't a fuel supply issue caused by the tank bag... after a bit of cranking the RS started again and I hit WFO again pulling back into the lane... then it died again, but in a much safer place.

I pulled out a spare plug, and found no spark, wiggled the kill switch and tried again, still no spark. My feeling is that the hall sensor is DOA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the tow guys arrived (a two hour wait, almost decided to push the bike home) they were pretty good at their jobs and let me help secure it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Need to swap this one in ASAP

[​IMG]
    mbanzi, Bigger Al and Square1 like this.
  15. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    Last time that happened to me I trailer it home and in 10 minutes figured out it was the wire connecting the coils. Felt like a major idiot.
    Bigger Al and Solo Lobo like this.
  16. Tiggum

Tiggum Retired

Oddometer:
    That, Sir, is what we call "a Pisser"! Sure was a dangerous place to have a breakdown.
  17. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    I felt pretty safe with the jersey barrier as protection... and there was no way I was going to leave my bike there while I waited...
  18. Dreem Ride

Dreem Ride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What type of ignition are you running? Original with bean can?
  19. Solo Lobo

Oddometer:
    Original bean can, well actually free one that I coaxed back into service.... going to put on another OEM can, but one that has a new hall sensor installed
  20. DK Dan

DK Dan Recovering advrider

Oddometer:
    Such a nice RS you have resurrected! Bummer about the break down. Hope you find the cause without too much difficulty.

Regarding your new Farley sidestand; it doesn't have much foot print. I would be worried using it on soft ground or even hot asphalt. Have you considered making a small foot plate for it?