Coming to Colorado to ride? Some things to consider...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    what kind of tires do you guys find work best on those rocky-ass Colorado two track trails?
  2. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    For dirtbikes I ride trials on the rear and desert it on the front, but the fronts seem to loose their side knobs .... so could be to hard of a tire. I love the rear.
    On the 690 I ride Dunlap Rallye raid d908 RR on the back and the pirelli Rallye cross on the front. Both tires are fantastic but the rear is very pricey!
    On my wife’s 690 we have the tractionator adventure on the rear and same pirelli Rallye cross in the front.
    Drawback on the tractionator is that it has super stiff sidewalls so very tough to get on or off in the field. On the positive you can ride it out almost flat.
    Extorris and nomad_games like this.
  3. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I have trials tires on my dual sport. I got very stuck in some loose rock last trip out. Spinning out trying to climb a hill. Eventually had to turn around. Hence the question.
  4. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    How much psi do you run in them?
    I run 8psi cold with a extra heavy duty tube on a 525 exc. My wife runs 6 psi or less with a tubliss system on a 250xc.
    We typically only have trouble in deep mud, but that’s very seldom in the Colorado mtns.
    I also like them has they seem to be much easier on the trails - as in not chewing them up as much. However we are also “light” riders. I am 5.8 and about 140lbs. Add about 25 pounds of tools, water etc + another 8-10 Pound’s in boots and gear and I am still under 180 lbs.
  5. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:

I think I had them around 10psi last time. and yeah, I'm not worried about mud. hardly ever see it, even when i go looking for it.
  6. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

I was thinking about putting a trials tire on my 500 but was concerned with burning thru it in a day or two, do they hold up ok on the bigger bikes? There is a very noticeable difference in trail impact since i've been riding this 500 with a knobby on it.. I don't like it and i still feel like i'll get way better traction with a trials tire.
  7. nomad_games

nomad_games Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have trials tires on my xr650r. They hold up fine.
  8. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah they hold up great, and while a knobby wears in the center fast and then hooks up weird in embedded rocks in corners, the trials runs smooth and hooks up good even when worn way down. I replace the trails once a season ( during high miles seasons). I need to look up how many miles/ season I average.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Moto Beak

Moto Beak Professional Amateur

Oddometer:
    I have been running the MotoZ Mountain Hybrid rear tire for the last year of riding on my 525. Lots of singletrack, plenty of rough and smooth road, and a few hundred miles of pavement. Its kind of a mix between knobby and trials. It has good side knobs and isn't as soft as a trials tire. I have run trials tires before and it was love/hate. The MotoZ is pure love! Great traction most everywhere, amazing durability, DOT legal. I have a trials background, so I'm fairly easy on the throttle and RPMs, but this tire just works everywhere and just won't wear out.
    enduro-ince and thechief86 like this.
  10. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:

Pirelli MT-43. DOT approved. I get a couple thousand miles out of one.
    bmgyver and Rodzilla like this.
  11. bmgyver

bmgyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mt43 7psi
  12. bmgyver

bmgyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hated that tire it deflected off everything. I took it off after 3 days of trying to get it to work.
    Even down to 3 psi it deflected off everything it has too much crown and the sideknobs grab stuff that you dont want to grab which was part of the deflection issue. Pirelli mt43 with 7psi worked 100 times better for me. the mountain hybrid makes a nice tire swing for the kids.
  13. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, sell it to Beak. One mans tire swing is another mans treasure!
    BLUEThunder and Moto Beak like this.
  14. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    What maps are best? I think I'm mostly going to ride 4X4 roads in the SW corner.
    Thinking about 6/21-6/27. Take away a day and half on each end to get there and 3-4 days to ride.
  15. AntiSuperEgo

AntiSuperEgo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Butler maps are waterproof.
  16. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I only see a Butler map for the BDR. Not really what I want to do. I want to park my pickup somewhere with showers and ride loops. XR650L, carrying water, tools, minimum other things. My bike never looks like an ant dragging a loaf of bread.
    The Charles Wells ATV and Jeep books, National Geographic #141 map?
  17. AntiSuperEgo

AntiSuperEgo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Wells books are great if they have the trails you want to ride. I used them when I did the COBDR in my truck. TrailDamage have downloadable files, subscription though.
  18. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    CoatsEast and Motorius like this.
  19. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Poughkeepsie Gulch is closed until 6/30. I really want to see Mono.
    My job owns me, but once every three months I am free for 7 days. 10% chance I will wait until Sept.

The maps came yesterday. Studying and planning.
  20. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link nwcolorider. I'm working plans to come west the week of 6/24. Will be renting a bike in the mountains and have some guides lined up and will be doing some self touring tas well. I know that's early but that's the time I have so I'm taking it!
    nwcolorider likes this.