Coming to Colorado to ride? Some things to consider...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    That's the week I went for my first motorcycle tour of the Rockies. Keep in mind that many higher altitude area may still be closed. The Alpine Loop and others in the Uncompahgre area opened my last day in the area before I had to turn back toward home.
    We had a snowball fight on Last Dollar Road on June 23rd, which was pretty novel to us, being from TN, where the highest mountain tops are basically level with the bottoms of the valleys in CO, in terms of elevation.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  2. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I don't need to ride the Continental divide or over passes between 14ers. Not this time anyway! Anything out there will be amazing I'm sure.
  3. fldirtrider

fldirtrider ktm 525, 690, bmw 1200gs

Oddometer:
    The wife and I are leaving Florida April 3rd heading to GP race in Texas then touring our way around the south desert states and our first nights in Durango Colorado first week of June spending the entire month in different parts like gun is on area mid June then towards RNP at end. We ride well on Gs1200 and GS 700. What weather and riding conditions on and off road should we expect that time of year?

Any response and local knowledge would be helpful
  4. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read the 3rd post on the first page....
  5. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Mikemm likes this.
  6. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Not a local but have spent 5 summers diirtbaggin around the state with my van and KTM. We did Alaska last summer and planning CO mid June to last week in July this year.

Their getting absolutely dumped on this season! Expect snow up high till July and even longer in some spots. Imogene (Ouray to Telluride) didn't open till July 3rd two years ago. Soonest I've made Americal Flag Mtn in Taylor Park was late June. Never been over Perl Pass cause of snow and could not even attempt Longs Peak (a bucket list for this inmate) I've only been to the Alpine Loop in Silverton in late July but would expect it to have lot's of snow in early June. Great area to explore and fun place to end a trip. RMNP should be clear by July? We were there in min June and although there was snow you could still do most the popular hikes.
    With that aside there's still plenty to ride out there and it beats the shit out of the FL weather in the summer :deal
    No shortage of Jeep roads to explore and mountains to hike, and most importantly breweries to visit! Have you decided where you'll spend 4th of July????

Embrace the whit stuff - it's part of the game!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Colemanfu and Mr. Plow, Imogene Pass July 2nd 2017!
    pratered, thechief86 and GoatKiller like this.
  7. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    3/18/19 - Red Mountain Pass is still closed. They say for 2 more weeks but more snow is coming again this week and they may have to shoot the slide zones again which will mean more snow on top of near record snow. These are slides like they have never seen before. Read the other day that Ouray county is not going to spend the extra funds this year to open up their side of Engineer or Imogene passes. Not worth the expense but things could open up by July 4th holiday as that's just too much money from Jeepers and ATV'ers to pass up. Moto guys... we are dirt baggers and don't spend any money I guess.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/268324-red-mountain-pass-could-be-closed-for-another-two-weeks
    thechief86 likes this.
  8. AntiSuperEgo

AntiSuperEgo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The melt may be interesting this year
  9. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    CoatsEast, Merfman and thechief86 like this.
  10. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. rocketman9255

rocketman9255 n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Leaving the Florida heat Memorial day weekend. Gotta be in SLC on June 1. Was going to come through Colorado, million dollar, last dollar, etc. Gonna camp. Should I reroute through Az, Grand Canyon, Bryce for better weather? Riding BMW 1200 GSA w Anakee Adventure tires. Any input would be appreciated.
  12. AntiSuperEgo

Oddometer:
    Nights can still be quite cold in Colorado.
  13. Olde Phart

Olde Phart Olde Phart

Oddometer:
    Last night in Gould, CO on west side of cameron pass:

IMG_20190518_054941.jpg
    Low temp was 26 F over cameron pass up at 10,000 ft...

Good staying toasty to ya!
    Merfman and thechief86 like this.
  14. badge502

badge502 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is from the CDOT cameras on I-70 this morning , 5/21/2019. Check out the snow depth between eastbound and westbound.
    [​IMG]
    thechief86 likes this.
  15. CoatsEast

CoatsEast 1999 R1100GS, 2007 G650X

Oddometer:
    that's a ton of snow! I'll be riding Denver to Telluride/Ouray and back 6/19 - 6/29. Will be at the Teluride Bluegrass Fest Wed - Sunday.

Anyone up that way that want to hit some trails (assuming they will be at lower elevations... possibly underwater with runoff!) then a ride with West38Moto in Ouray.
    West38Moto likes this.
  16. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m supposed to head out from LA to Denver over the weekend taking almost two weeks to get there. This is hampering my plans.
  17. walkingbear

walkingbear Lets Play Chicken! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picking up a sidecar rig in Seattle, 2 days in Boise to visit an old friend and hoping to camp Teton National Park and head
    south thru Colorado. Should I just find a hotel?
  18. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    This was a capture from the Main Street Frisco webcam yesterday morning. Only you can make the decision If you’re prepared to camp in all possible weather scenarios.

008C67F9-037F-414E-9B83-9148409CF366.jpeg
    thechief86 likes this.
  19. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Message from Jeff Slavens on high country conditions:

Hello:

The Colorado Rocky Mountains experienced another record snowfall winter that just won't stop. Yesterday we got 10" in Colorado Springs and some mountain regions got another 20" on top of 18" a few days earlier. The high mountains currently have 20 FEET to 40 FEET of snow. ALL dirt mountain passes are still closed and will be closed for another 30 - 45 days. State Highway 82 (pictured above) into Aspen will be closed until June and Cottonwood pass will likely stay closed this year for construction. A few low elevation trails are open to ride but areas like Taylor Park, Sargents, Engineers Pass, etc. are buried in snow and many of the high elevation loops may not melt out until late July. After they melt, locals will need time to cut out the downfall and they could use your help.

If you have made travel plans for Colorado, please re-schedule for a later date. The few trails that are not full of snow are full of downfall trees. Going around these downfall trees damages the trail which gives the motorcycle community a big black eye and adds to the negative narrative from the tree huggers. If you encounter downfall, PLEASE turnaround or get out your chainsaw.

Please be respectful of your trails by waiting until they melt, dry out and locals have had time to clear the downfall trees. Always stay on the trail. Going off trail is a federal offense and the feds do have officers on dirt bikes in some parts of Colorado.

Please become a trail ambassador and be part of the solution, NOT part of the problem. Thank you for reading this.
  20. AntiSuperEgo

Oddometer:
    At this point, who the fuck knows.