Coming to Colorado to ride? Some things to consider...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    September 16-20. Is it starting to snow again by then?
  2. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing I've learned about snow in CO from this thread and personal experience is- the answer is absolutely maybe.
  3. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Every time I've been to Colorado, I've encountered snow at a time when I least expected it. I've had June-July snowball fights, and got my 4x4 Tacoma stuck in April and May trying to get to Tincup. I've also found surprisingly warm days and passable trails in what should have been winter, and been up Pike's Peak in February, then snowed out in May.
    Mid-july through Mid September seems to be the time to enjoy high altitude fun. I've still seen snow year-round, especially in the San Juans, but it wasn't a hindrance late in the summer.
    I can't wait to go back. I wonder if I'll regret riding out on a big BMW, or if I should haul a smaller bike out instead...
  4. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a pic of snow falling on Pike's Peak in June. I was on my hawk gt.
    Sept 16 week will be easy for me to get off work. Maybe I can figure out a way to get a week off in late August instead.
  5. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    Wynnded, Mikemm and thechief86 like this.
  6. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    May 21st. 25 miles south of Denver at 6500' They did not see this one coming until a few hours before it actually started. Set a record low of 33 degrees that night. About 8" piled up on my car.

2019052195072744.jpg
  7. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, now show me some pictures of the nice weather in early June when I'll get there.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  8. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Frisco the second and third week of July. Sounds like I should pack ALL of my riding gear. Cold and warm weather stuff.
  9. GeoffMont

GeoffMont Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been riding around a fair amount here. Rode a decent section of Rainbow trail last week, we rode 30+ miles before we ran into snow. @Meritlane, early June isn't looking great.. Roads will all be clear but passes and weather will be a bit chilly. Looks like mid 50's and lows in the 20's or 30's. Indy Pass will be open June 1. @KennyV, you'll be good... I'd guess 70's and 40's at night..
    KennyV and CoatsEast like this.
  10. KennyV

KennyV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, really looking forward to our visit and riding.
  11. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Clouds and rain. Just heard today May will close out as the 5th coldest May on record. Avg daily temp of around 51.5 degrees. :dirtdog Should be in low 60s.

Anybody that can bring Summer with them is welcome. Just leave you're dam flooding and storms behind.
    1559265630704.jpg
  12. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Anybody that can bring Summer with them is welcome. Just leave you're dam flooding and storms behind.
    View attachment 1707630 [/QUOTE]

Leaving Florida next week for the 6 week CO Dirt Bike and Brew Tour!
    I'll bring the heat, were at that time of year when it's 90's every day and never get's below 70' ! :jkam

cidi likes this.
  13. Yokomo

Yokomo Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Going to the Salida/BV area tomorrow for family vacation. No riding this time. I've been looking at a Lat 40 map and was hoping to take them on some cruises in the Rav4 on Marshall pass and Old Monarch pass road.
    I'm guessing we won't be able to do that due to the snow? Correct?
    Any other suggestions to occupy the family while we're there? I'm guessing the river will be flowing awfully fast as well.
    Hoping for some warm and sunny weather!!
    Thank you!
  14. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Marshall Pass is still snowed in. I think old monarch is closed as well. Check out 4 mile area outside of BV. Also off hwy 285 there is that mushroom gulch area -easy dirt road with some cool areas for short hikes.
    Also between BV and Salida are the Princeton hot springs. . Of course rafting season is on, and lots of outfits have easy raft stretches on the river ( the Arkansas is not raging as it has been too cold for the snow runoff to be in full swing)
  15. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Coming to Colorado this summer you say? Wait, what's that? Summer has been cancelled? Yes it's true, still snowing at the higher elevations here. It's going to feel really crowded around here this tourist season because about 30% of you probably will be forced to lower elevations. I was at Copper Mountain today and the snow at the base lodge level was still about 2-3 feet deep between some of the condos there that line the golf course near the bottom of the Super Bee lift.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/colorado-snowpack.1367394/

This was near the top of Loveland Pass (11.991') on April 17th. I did not take a picture of when I went over it today, but it didn't look a lot different than this. Maybe 1/3 less snow and the piles along the edge of the road were gone. Temperature was 41 degrees at 2PM and it was 75 when I got back down to Denver.
    20190417_145358.jpg
    Charleetho likes this.
  16. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in gunnison now, left telluride this morning. Other than bouts of rain and hail combined with crazy wind outside of montrose the weathers been pretty good. 38 degrees in telluride overnight.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  17. Yokomo

Yokomo Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks cidi! We went, we say, we had a great time!!
  18. Yokomo

Yokomo Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    BTW - We went to St. Elmo and I bought a nice little keepsake and my puppy decided he wanted it as well. Still have it but it's torn up. Would anyone be willing to go get me another one and ship it to me in Kansas and I would pay you? I would really appreciate it!
  19. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    Nice rig. :thumb
  20. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, what the hell do I do with this new type of OHV permit. It’s not like ones I got in the past. It’s has 7 foldable sections, the bottom 3 are the mailer info, the middle one says “detach and keep with vehicle at all times”, and the 2 above that are printed “license not valid if detached”. So am I supposed to detach them or not? Only one section can be visible through the clear sticky envelope thing I’m supposed to stick to my forks....