Coming to Colorado to ride? Some things to consider...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently I’m not the only one confused by this https://advrider.com/f/threads/colorado-ohv-permit.1380935/
  2. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep the 2 top ones as your receipt. the one with the vehicle info / permit number goes on the bike ( or just in your wallet/ backpack etc)
    The sticker does not hold up well so wallet is best.
  3. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I just wrapped mine with packaging tape to stick it on my forks.
    Chipk likes this.
  4. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any updates on snow in the higher elevations? Planning a trip the first week of August and trying to decide between Creede and the New Castle area. I know the snow will be better up by NC but I've never ridden in/around Creede. Free places to stay/locals to ride with in both places so really snow is going to be the determining factor.
  5. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Other than snow-free, what kind of riding are you looking to do? Easy roads, tough roads, single track?
  6. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shit, I forgot there’s all walks of life posting on here. We’ll be on small bikes and fun single track/two track is what we’re after.
  7. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Not much single track that I'm aware of around Newcastle. The Flattops have some nice jeep roads. Other than a couple of trails (Pole Creek) there isn't a lot of single track around Creede, but there is an amazing trail over Snow Mesa from Creede, best run in the direction from Creede.

You might consider Walden/North Park. OHV friendly on county roads. Lots of single track. Snyder Creek has some of the best single track around. Google Snyder Creek Trails. https://staythetrail.org/ will have details on all Colorado riding areas.
  8. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, that's great info. Thanks, HellSickle! We have a 9-10 day stretch to do whatever we want with so the plan that is starting to take shape is just to bounce around and see what we have time to hit. Probably start in Creede and hit the Snow Mesa trail as well as check out the Wheeler Geologic Area (my riding buddy is a geologist so this is non-negotiable - looks cool though). Snyder Creek looks awesome - although it's fairly far north for what we had planned. That said, we have no real obligations to be anywhere in particular so I'll run it past my riding buddy and see where he's at on all this.
  9. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Just over the Divide from Snyder Creek is Steamboat springs. Tons of single track and ATV trails north of Steamboat lake.
  10. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks again for the info. It's looking like we're just going to scatter our week around (a couple days in Creede, a couple days in Taylor Park, a couple days around New Castle/the Flat Tops). Probably won't make it as far north as the stuff you mentioned around Steamboat but I've added it to the hit list for the next go-around.
  11. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want to ride my 1200 GS around Colorado this fall to enjoy the fall colors. Historical data shows the last week of September and the first week of October as the best time to enjoy the aspen.

Is this too late in the season? I am good down to freezing and have time to wait a day or so to let early snow storms pass...

Insights or advice is appreciated.
  12. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    it varies from year to year a bit, by early October I think you'll be a bit late for color here.
    it also varies by region - last year prime color happened first up in the Steamboat area, and a week or so later in the San Juans.

if you can stay flexible on your schedule until you start getting some good data - that's what we have to do here! It's rarely the same ideal dates from one year to the next, depending on the kind of moisture levels in the previous growing season, etc.

keep your eyes open for a Fall Colors ride thread, maybe come down and join that
  13. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. I will be in the “standing-by in the spring-loaded position” starting Sept 23rd.
  14. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Around sept 23 seems to be prime for the summit county and park county areas.
    Also check the 9news ( in Denver) website, as they usually have a fall color guide and forecast for Colorado.
  15. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip to monitor Denver 9news.
  16. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    In Northern Colorado, the third weekend in September is typically the best. Figure ~ 1 week later for Southern Colorado.
  17. irlvnt

irlvnt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    We're launching on the COBDR the 3rd week in September and the hope is that it'll be the sweet spot - too early for hoards of leaf peepers and late enough to avoid the summer crowds. I guess we'll see.
    95Monster likes this.
  19. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Snow Mesa:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/colorado/snow-mesa

Historically, the west end has been incorrectly marked non motorized for years. Don't sweat it. I hiked it a few years ago and asked a trail ranger. Do not ride if weather is threatening lightning. You are above timberline for miles. The descent into Creede can have some sketchy creek crossings in heavy rain. There was a lightning thread here a few years ago.
  20. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Rode this yesterday, everyone I ran into was all smiles. The stream crossings were a little exciting down low. Great ride!
    spacely, Merfman and HellSickle like this.