1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Coming to Colorado to ride? Some things to consider...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    The Colorado mountains are high altitude = intense UV. Have strong sunscreen and sunglasses.
    DesertDonor, thechief86 and everready like this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  3. Meritlane

Meritlane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. More information?
  4. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep- good info- I am curious though as some of the areas I'm familiar with there is quite a mismatch on the map base roads and the gravel road overlay. Not sure which to believe.
  5. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I found that map on another website.
    It's not accurate in some places just a general guide.

More than likely someone probably just took some old county road GIS info and laid it down on to Google.

Plenty of roads I do know to be open are not on their either.

I refer back to Google and Benchmark Atlas to look deeper.
    AlH likes this.
  7. AlH

AlH Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find many maps to be suspect- I ride a lot in the NC mountains and mapping is a mess there. Road names disagree etc.. locals will use road names that were changed 30 years ago and the new name, for 5 years maybe, they don't/won't use.
    Makes it interesting!
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Just like anywhere go out ride and explore.

That's why it's always sweet to ride with locals as they know where the open goods are...and often when the not so well known and maybe quasi-legal trails are.
  9. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    A friend is buying an RV from somebody in Denver in July... not sure WHEN in July yet; let's assume mid, maybe later. He wants me to join him so we can ride some of the cool trails and passes. I've been reading this thread and am concerned about where to ride due to snow and mud.

Any recommendations on trails OTHER than the huge passes? Or are they possible? Vehicle-wise, I'll be bringing my DR650 and KRX-1000. My friend will likely bring his XR400 (or DRZ400) and KRX-1000. BTW, we look behind us and always let faster vehicles pass. I run into the same thing with Jeeps and even other SxSs that don't want to let people by.

Thanks.

Rob
  10. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of stuff open already and by mid July almost everything is open. Questions are more like how many days you want to be camping, how far west of Denver do you want to drive, what type of trails are you looking for ( singletrack, dirt roads, technical singletrack, easier stuff or harder stuff?)
  11. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I'll be back out there in about a month with my KLR. It looks like none of my friends are going to be able to make it out there with me, so I'll be riding and camping alone from July 4 until the 11th if anybody wants to meet up. I'll be parking my truck in Denver and riding out from there, probably south to the San Juans, but maybe further west from there if time allows.
    CoatsEast likes this.
  12. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    @thechief86 If we end up there during that timeframe, you're welcome to hang with us.
    CoatsEast and thechief86 like this.
  13. thechief86

Oddometer:
    So this may not be well received here, but I was curious what people's thoughts on an individual from out-of-state having a pistol in a saddlebag on a 2 week, solo backcountry camping trip?
    Here in Tennessee, I've just about always carried a 9mm in case of a bear or big cat encounter, but have only ever needed it once, and only then just used the noise to get a bobcat away from my dog, so I figure im a lot less likely to need it than I originally thought, and would rather not end up in jail if carry permit reciprocity didn't carry over to Colorado, Utah, or New Mexico, where I'm likely to end up.
  14. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    You should be able to find a current reciprocity map for the state. However, on federal land I'm pretty sure CC is not permitted.
    thechief86 likes this.
  15. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will mostly be camping on federal land, so this is very helpful.
  16. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    thechief86 likes this.
  17. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that site shows that Colorado will honor my TN permit. Now to see what the rules are for gubmint land...
    NPS.gov site says if I have a permit, I can conceal/carry on federal land, but not inside federally owned facilities. I get that. I can lock my gun in a side case if I go into a welcome center or something.
    I'm no gun nut, but I do prefer to be prepared when on my own and a long way from help.
  18. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    I think that in some instances you can't have it loaded, or even have loaded magazines though... read the fine print....
    thechief86 likes this.
  19. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Just a thought... a 9mm isn't going to do crap against a bear or most other large animals. All it'll do is make it more mad. I suggest carrying bear spray in an easy-to-reach location for those situations. Plus, actually killing a bear means a LOT of paperwork because you'll have to report it to the rangers.

I picked up a Glock 40 (10mm) and use some high-power, flat-nosed rounds (I THINK they're Buffalo Bore, don't remember) that were recommended as being effective against bear and moose. I added a muzzle brake because the 10mm kicks like a sumbitch without one. Downside is it's a big, heavy gun so not easily concealed.
    thechief86 likes this.
  20. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Black bears in Colorado really aren't a problem. Grizzleys in Wyoming are another matter. A pack of firecrackers would be more effective to scare them off.
    James Adams likes this.