1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Coming to Colorado to ride? Some things to consider...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Colorado, it is fine. One in the tube and a full mag is OK. Rifle, no chamber, full magazine is ok. We are also an open carry state. USFS and BLM no issue. NPS, just not in the buildings.
  2. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I do carry bear spray as well, and honestly am more concerned with big cats than bears. Around here, bears aren't much of a threat, and tend to turn tail at any loud noise.
    Cats are a different kind of scary to me, but I've only seen one from a long distance in Colorado so far. I'd prefer to keep it that way.
    I probably don't need a gun, but since I've verified that it is legal, and doesn't seem to be frowned on by the population, I don't see a problem with bringing along one extra layer of safety.
    As for a higher caliber weapon, I don't doubt that one 9mm bullet may not do the job, but a dozen might. I'm comfortable with that, considering the low odds that I'll be in that type of danger in the first place.
  3. MaParkerColo

MaParkerColo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Touchy question, but while the topic is being discussed calmly and rationally, are any local inmates certified firearms instructors? My CC lapsed years ago and I have never gotten around to finding a course so I could renew.
  4. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guns are fine, but I think you can get in big trouble with firecrackers. The Forest Service has very negative thing about fireworks. Also under some fire restriction discharging a firearm can be a no-no.
    Be sure to check on the fire restriction. Down in NM we have been covered with smoke from an Arizona fire that is 300 miles away.
    Down south here, I worry more about the two legged critters, more than the four legged variety. While solo riding, I have come across some shady types in the illicit import business.
    everready and thechief86 like this.
  5. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    East coast guy here.....I have a week + to do some riding this summer, was planning to use the TAT routes and do a Rocky MT loop, with a support truck leap frogging to the next camp spot....but work may be getting in the way of the other members of the group.
    So now I am thinking of alternative rides. Ride would take place in Early Aug. I like the idea of camping in one spot for a few days and then do exploring from there ( 100+ mile loops ), returning to camp in afternoon. Then pack up and move to a different area and repeat.
    I would like to hit the high passes and scenic routes, as much off road as possible, and don't mind hard trails, especially if it gets me to cool spots. What areas would be good as base camps. Salida, Moab....? I may get in touch with GPS Kevin and see what he has to offer.
    FYI, I am a C rider, 90% off road, dabble in a little hare scramble races now and then, and tight trails and rocks don't me. Bike is CRF 450L, with 2 gal of extra fuel.
    talcon likes this.
  6. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Taylor Park. Miles of single track and jeep roads, and scenery. Moab is way too hot that time of year.
    talcon and scarysharkface like this.
  7. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Getting my crap together for a multi-day solo camping trip in the Rockies.
    Originally planned to leave after work on the 2nd, but will now head out a few hours before daylight on the 7th. I'll have a few less days on the bike than I'd hoped, but between family members health problems, a global pandemic, and related furloughs from work, I'll be lucky to get the week or so that I'll have.
    I may try again in September if things get better.
    talcon and scarysharkface like this.
  8. Flyjpa

Flyjpa Positive rate...GEAR UP!

Oddometer:
    I solo camped/rode in the Ouray area and then did Moab and WRT in late September 2018...it was fantastic! The weather/temperatures were perfect.

I’m heading back that way tomorrow to introduction my son to the area...it will be his first experience riding in CO!
  9. snowboundleaf

snowboundleaf Haha, motorcycle go brrrrr

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a BMW 800 GSA couple weeks back, hoping to do some pass riding and break her in a little bit! I leave from Denver but would love to meet anyone to go out riding!
  10. HanzoSteel

HanzoSteel n00bish

Oddometer:

I've done many rides with these guys and it's an awesome group. They are doing a Mt Evans and Pikes Peak this saturday if you're interested. I've got work to do this weekend and I won't make it. Free to join the group or just show up.

https://www.meetup.com/iridecolorado

Details to this saturdays ride: https://www.meetup.com/iridecolorado/events/270564914/
    snowboundleaf and thechief86 like this.
  11. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Ride report from my trip with lots of pictures. Still a few days left to post, but it's more than half done. I apologize if it is long winded and boring.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/vacation-in-the-rockies-with-my-klr.1457952/
  12. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    eddyturn likes this.
  13. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Crazy, ain't it. Over many years of off roading all over the western U.S., every once in a great while you run into one of these characters. Occasionally I see that guy...and it's always been a guy...who doesn't want a motorcycle passing him on a dirt road or 2-track. Understandably a dirt biker can't expect a 4WD vehicle to immediately move over where space and conditions don't allow. But I swear you see some of these guys in a vehicle seem hell bent on not letting a bike pass after numerous opportunities. Once on one of the dirt roads over near the Cayton campground near Rico, I had a guy actually swerve over at me when I finally went to pass. He'd been making his vehicle as wide as possible by driving in the middle and drifting left every time I appeared to be moving to pass. This dirt road was big enough for two full size pickups.

When I got to pavement, I was tempted to wait on him to catch up and see what happened, but ending up in court or worse because of a confrontation with an idiot doesn't sound like the best way to spend a dirt bike riding trip...LOL! They're out there.
    Mikemm, eddyturn and fred flintstone like this.
  14. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    Uli and I had a guy on Ophir a couple weeks ago that was like that. He was stopped because the guy coming down could not get over far enough for him to go buy. So he got out. Left his door open blocking us. We were able to get around him, but he gave us the evil eye.
  15. 29andSingle

29andSingle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    All I remember it was Yellow
  17. 29andSingle

Oddometer:
    Hahaha. Fair enough. Oddly enough I ran into someone the other day who talked about running into "stranded" motos on Ophir. Was just curious if it was the same person. Sounds like it wasn't. Hard to believe people can be in such a bad mood in such a beautiful place.
    thechief86 likes this.
  18. nwcolorider

nwcolorider NWCOLO

Oddometer:
    It was a wet rainy day all day. Fog was intense in the talus section. That is where it was. There was a traffic jam, three coming down, 3 going up.
  19. arkansawyer

arkansawyer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stay out of Breckenridge. 9N is being detoured all around town. I killed my bike and pushed it 10 feet every time traffic moved. The ride up peak 10 was pretty awesome.

Nobody was the least bit rude this trip. Every jeep and razor pulled over and made room for me.
    talcon and eddyturn like this.
  20. 29andSingle

Oddometer:
    Agreed with comments on Breck. Town is insane right now.