Coming to Colorado to ride? Some things to consider...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Wings

Wings RockiesToSandbox

Oddometer:
    Only if you have pizza. If you order a burger, it's a no go :evil
  2. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy to buy the sticker, Is there a way to pre buy one before I get into the state ?
    thechief86 likes this.
  3. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    please dis regard this statement. We keep getting snow down here in the san juans. Out of towners be warned, don't plan on any high country single track being rideable til July. please and thank you!

LOTS OF SNOW UP HIGH IN THE SAN JUANS. We won't even tune up the saws for another three weeks. :cry
  4. Red J

Red J Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Little short for a Stormtrooper

Oddometer:
    Since this is a stickied topic perhaps I can help with the sticker issue:

By rule, all vehicles need an OHV sticker if you are riding on OHV trails. In general, if you are on a road (city/county/state) you need a plate (there are a few exceptions). Once you jump off onto a (usually) numbered trail, two track/singletrack you need a sticker.

These come in three flavors:

1. Colorado resident tag for Off road vehicles. This is the standard sticker for OHV that do not have plates. This effectively "registers" your ride as an off road vehicle as the sticker/owner is tied to the VIN.

2. CO residents that have a plate, need the "OHV Permit" Your ride is already registered as an on-road vehicle via your plate...by rule, you can't register your vehicle twice. So you get the "permit" it is NOT tied to your VIN so it needs manual renewal (for now).

3. Out of State Permit. If you are not a CO resident and wish to ride the trails you need an out of state sticker. CO is a major destination for riders and hunters most bringing ATV/UTV. The sticker helps defray the cost of trail maintenance.

All sticker are $25.25 with 90%+ of that money going directly to trails through the OHV grant funds.
  6. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rod! Since, the one below is manual right, can we still get that at any outlet like RM Kawasaki, etc?
  7. Rodzilla

Oddometer:
    I believe so
  8. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but an FYI RMK was clueless about option 2 and insisted that I had to buy number 1 tied to my VIN. I figured, whatever, let the DOW/DMV figure it out. I am just gonna ride!
  9. boricua700

boricua700 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'm headed your way next week. More than happy to buy a pass and chip in.
  10. Cigar Mike

Cigar Mike Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer:
    Is some of the confusion because some roads that are legal for plated vehicle's have also been included for ohv tagged vehicles? Just because these roads have been approved for ohv use does not mean plated vehicle's are not allowed.
  11. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Last year some guys I know came across a group visiting from New Jersey. These guys were tearing back and forth across an alpine meadow. He had to have the "tough love" talk with them and explain why they shouldn't do that. The leader was belligerent and offered a long list of excuses. He felt they had the "right to do that" and "we can do this in New Jersey". Slaven's point was right on. At this year's Moose Run I'll make extra mention at the riders meeting how important it is to Stay the Trail (who is also the primary beneficiary from our event).
  12. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are stickers available in Salida? D/S bike, thanks.
  13. Diamond K

Diamond K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We were in Tin Cup a few weeks ago and were waved through the check point on our WRs. Since we were stopping to eat anyhow I walked back to ask them about the dual sport bike sticker question. What he told me was "any trail that is maintained using funds generated with sticker sales requires a sticker, ATV, bikes, jeeps and so on, licensed or not". However he went on to say that there is confusion on just what trails are maintained with the sticker funds. So he said " we are mainly looking at unlicensed ATV, UTV, RZR and bikes" He did say that around Buena Vista most of the trails east of town are maintained with the funds and required any rig to have stickers. So they are definately uncertain.
  14. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good morning people and thanks for all the useful info here. Our group of 7 will be dualsporting out of Ouray this week and most of us need OHV stickers. Can we buy those in Ouray?
    Thanks for the help!
  15. Rodzilla

Oddometer:
    Some other points about visiting our state (not OHV related)

CO is a tourist based state, not only that, but *most* people that live here are outdoor focused. What that means is, EVERYONE is trying to use the same roads at the same time.

We realize you planned your vacation or riding trip to our great state, and you want to maximize your time and enjoyment and you've probably "bookended" your trip with weekends. A strong suggestion, if you can plan your dates to avoid highway travel on weekends, you'll have a much better time. This especially applies to I-70 between Denver and the mountain towns/areas.

CO is geographically limited in where we can put roads (there are a few mountains, National Forests, wilderness land, BLM areas, and a lot of financial reasons, all of which preclude new roads). That means pretty much everyone is using I-70 and US 285 going west on Friday and coming east on Sundays.

If you can avoid these times, it will increase your enjoyment of your trip. If you MUST travel during these times, try to hit them early or late in the day, If that doesn't work then plan an additional hour on Friday going west from Denver, especially in the afternoon/evening. If you are riding/traveling east from the mtns towards Denver on Sundays, plan bumper to bumper traffic from ~10a to as late as 8 or 9 pm (peak is really between 1p and 6p) and on bad weekends, the 60 minute travel time will stretch to 140 minutes plus. These times improve after school and football season starts.

Consider yourself warned.
    sotipnomon, thechief86 and Mikemm like this.
  16. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the traffic info... I'll pass that along to our drivers. I believe we're taking 76 to 70 then south on 50 to 550 into Ouray. We're running a 40' diesel pusher with a 30' enclosed trailer so our route options are limited, looks like we'll have to do the stop and go as usual.
    Take Care! Steve
  17. Rodzilla

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about this on Friday, sitting in traffic heading to the mtns with the family and dog in the truck, pulling my camper. Sitting in lane two was a truck pulling a trailer loaded with dual sport bikes, all had out of state plates. The driver looked tired and I could tell sitting in traffic This close>< to nirvana of the mtns was not on their "to do" list when heading to CO.
  18. 1TRAK

1TRAK EXPLORER Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know the feeling, I can't remember how many times we've sat in traffic adding time to an already long ride. This time is different though as it's our groups first dualsport trip to the Rocky Mountains. If we do get caught in traffic the view of the Front Range will help entertain, that never gets old to me.
    May your next trip to Nirvana be Epic!
    Ride Safe
  19. Nate 2013

Nate 2013 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good info. Coming out the last week (20-26 Sept), especially the early snow. Have not lived in the area (Trinidad) since 1998. Either way, after coming back out for the Raw Hyde course this past June, there is NO better place to ride... Man, I forgot how absolutely breathtaking the area is!
  20. jesbin

jesbin n00b

Oddometer:
    Great thread and info here, I personally haven't ridden any CO trails since my bikes were nowhere near trail bikes but after hitting some gnarly dirt/rocky roads near Red Feather, getting a dual sport to do more of this kind of riding is on my list.

I think of the stickers/permits the same as a fishing permit, the money is going to support the outdoors we all love and want to continue enjoying. Hell I don't think I've ever been to the motorcycle store and spent less than $50 so cut out one trip there and permit pays for itself :).