Coming to Colorado to ride? Some things to consider...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. mr.slowpokey

mr.slowpokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what's the weather looking like for late September early October for the alpine loop?
    Does my Az OHV sticker work in Co or do I have to buy one in Co?
  2. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Little short for a Stormtrooper

Oddometer:
    Weather could be anything from 50 degrees and awesome or a blizzard that time of year. *Usually* it will be chilly with temps down to freezing or less at night, with cool crisp days warming up to the 40s-50 maybe even 60s. Plan on having everything covered in frost in the morning.

The start of the winter, especially up high, comes in September for the mountains. Like I said, it may be snowy...it may not. The long term forecasts are calling for an above average snow season. Don't want to discourage, but there is no way to tell what the weather will be that time of year (Especially a month out). Normally it's an awesome time to ride, you just have to be flexible if Ma Nature decides to bring out the white blanket or bring in the chill.

Stickers. CO does not have reciprocity. You need to get the CO stickers. 95% (+/-) of the money from stickers for CO go back to the trails for building and maintaining. You can get them on-line from Dept. of Parks and Wildlife.
  3. mr.slowpokey

mr.slowpokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. We'll have to play it by ear, kind of last minute trip planning. Would prefer to be up there within the next week or two but schedules won't allow.
  4. Nate 2013

Nate 2013 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at a trip next spring as soon as weather is decent. I have been told May is probably to wet and windy; June is probably best. Looking at heading to the Sangre de Christo mountains area. Used to live in Trinidad and wanting to do some riding in the Spanish Peaks/Cuchara Pass area. Also Great Sand Dunes. Any info is appreciated!
  5. Rodzilla

Oddometer:
    See the first post in this thread. May will likely be wet and depending on where you want to ride and if you are riding street or dirt, may or may not be open (Unlikely to have the snow melted out in May). Cuchara is 9900' and paved so it stays open all year. If you want to ride dirt, The High passes will not be open until July, the lower areas are likely to be open in June...but again a lot depends on the amount of snow over the winter. Sand Dunes area is pretty low and will probably be accessible. You increase your chances of access the later you go.
    AbeWhat likes this.
  6. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    I found this thread while looking for CO riding info. Looks like I hit the jackpot! So glad I found it because I was starting to plan a trip for early/mid June. Once again my ADV friends prove to be a priceless resource. Thank you for taking the time to share all of this info. Much appreciated.
    Footfeathers likes this.
  7. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...it depends alot upon where you want to go. if you're thinking high mountains, Rodzilla is right on the money. Other places could be primo.
  8. tonymorr

tonymorr Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer:
    I've got 15 days and a blank slate. Any suggestions for places that might be "primo" would be much appreciated.

Thanks;
    Tony
  9. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rod's posts above provide some good info on general conditions. Would you be riding dirt or slab? My comments were dirt focused, but 2+ weeks is a long time to fill on dirt in early June. The mountains usually haven't melted, so high passes impassable and many trails blocked by deadfall. Western slope and beyond could be good, but getting kinda warm (thats the direction I'd go if I were gonna do a trip then). Intermediate level mountain areas such as Rampart could be primo, but 2 weeks would be a long time at those places and if we have a big late storm, they might be highly eroded due to runoff.

So...dirt or slab? (I can't address slab) Camping, RVing or motelling? Would you be willing to move mid-trip? Can you come earlier or later?
  10. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    dmac - check out the link in my sig line. Could provide some valuable intell. Good luck and let me know if ya got any questions!
    [​IMG]
    sick_boy likes this.
  11. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pic...awesome spot! Glanced through a little of your TR....glad you're grabbing life by the horns.

Not sure the point of your post other than to cement the fact that in June alot of the high passes can be still snowed in...or that if someone is willing to move camp alot, there are lower trails to ride. If you're looking for a suggestion, check out this:

http://www.highland-cycles.com/videos/
  12. okietrailboss

okietrailboss Long timer

Oddometer:
    planning on riding kokapeli in june was wondering what condition the trail is ( how sandy how rocky how steep just general info ) any info welcome thanks
  13. Rodzilla

Oddometer:
    Google Kokopelli lots of images on the web. I have not ridden all of it, but have been told much of it is essentially a dirt road. Like all trails in the area, lots of sand I'm sure. It will likely be quite warm that time of year.
  14. okietrailboss

okietrailboss Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info I'll ck it out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
  15. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a few years old but a humorous/cautionary reminder of the fact that OHV sticker enforcement does exist, and how not to handle getting inspected:

http://www.hcn.org/issues/46.18/reports-from-the-front-lines

A man scuffled with two BLM employees who wanted to cite him for not having a proper ATV registration on a back road in the mountains near Silverton, Colorado. This confrontation began when the BLM employees, driving marked agency ATVs, stopped a group of off-road vehicle drivers. The man refused to climb off his ATV, so they wrestled him to the ground and handcuffed him. In the melee, he hit one BLM employee on the head and tried to grab one by the groin, saying things like: “I will fuck your world up ... Fuckin’ got a hard-on right now I bet ... queer-ass piece of shit ... let me touch your wiener.” —July 6, 2012
  16. motocafedurango

motocafedurango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tony,
    May is just early but if you push it back a bit, you could give yourself more options in SW colorado. As everyone is saying, the high country will most likely still have snow, but from Durango, you have options South and West. Moab, Monument valley, AZ discovery, etc. And if the high country happens to clear out early...BONUS!
  17. motocafedurango

motocafedurango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to go back and talk about the trail clearing each spring. There are groups and individuals all over Colorado that get out there as soon as the weather permits to clear the deadfall from the trails. As Jeff mentioned, this is a lot of work. not just the physical aspect but it takes a huge commitment. When you go out on a ride to clear the trees, it's not your typical fun day on the trails, you are out there to work. Keep in mind that it's not a one time deal per trail either. the snow brings down plenty of trees, but they fall again as the snow melts and the ground gets soft too...the monsoons are another deal added in. If you plan to ride in the Colorado forests, please add one item to your gear... a hand saw. Those little lengths of chainsaw with a handle on each end will tackle a pretty big log and with two people takes no time at all.
    lhulax29 likes this.
  18. ScramblerDavis

ScramblerDavis aka DangerDavis

Oddometer:
    Amarillo,TX, but Rockies and Utah are best ridin'
    Guys, we've/I've been riding the Rockies for about 7 years with various friends and groups and I've found that if you follow the common sense rules and the laws you won't have a problem. Respect the area and communities where you ride. build good relationships and get along with locals. Also the OHV sticker, to my understanding, for only $25.00 also includes emergency medical help if needed. Not a bad price to pay for enjoying all the legal trails and supporting the ability to keep riding. Please support COHVCO as much
    as you can so not only you, but maybe your kids or grandkids might get to enjoy the same trails someday.
    Thanks
    tonymorr likes this.
  19. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Maybe that's the way in Texas, but as usual, it is better to know what you are talking instead of spreading incorrect information. There is a lot of information on this site (and others) for anyone who wants to take a couple minutes to learn. Start HERE.
    Mikemm likes this.
  20. cowboy907

cowboy907 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

Trying to get something together...I went to D2D last year and I think it would be fun to do something similar in Wyoming. I live near South Pass, which is near Lander, WY. Atlantic City is a cool little mining town with dirt roads and a neat little bar. There is a nice campground very near Atlantic City. There are countless BLM roads; dirt roads that go in every direction for hundred of miles. Poker Run, games, and camaraderie! Zero details yet, i.e. dates, who, what ...?? Just seeing if there is interest.

Cowboy907
    KLR 650
    D2D 2015