Coming to Colorado to ride? Some things to consider...

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by neduro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you'd be going up Poughkeepsie correct? It'll be a handful on a 701 depending on how tore up it is from keeps. It's got like 100 yards or more of loose scree and then the crux ledges. I think they closed the bypass around the ledges it's probably mandatory. I haven't been thru in a couple years though. Poughkeepsie is the only keep road the keep rental companies won't allow you to travel. You could go up California gulch over Cali pass and then down Poughkeepsie and out mineral creek to Ouray as an option, ya know cuz gravity.
  2. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, we'll definitely be going down. I think I could go up it on the 701 if that was all I had planned for the day, but it'd be a long day.
  3. roger_roger

roger_roger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I had to move to Nashville last year from the Pacific Northwest (the things we do for our wives) and boy do I miss riding open land...the riding here is ok, but limited. I have a couple of buddies who are willing to meet me in Colorado for some sweet little bike action. I have started following the Gunnison motorcycle riders (GOATs) on facebook and am hoping to connect with them as soon as I firm up my dates (thinking early/mid sept), but my question is this: I am confident I can find some locals to ride with once we get closer, but does anybody know of other clubs worth connecting with while we are out? I am looking at about 4 days of solid riding before I head to Idaho for some more riding and a visit with my folks. (of course, anybody on this page is welcome to show us around as well.)

Thanks in advance!
  4. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black Bear gets all the attention because of the exposed terrain and the resulting consequences, but Poughkeepsie is more technical in my opinion. The scree field that enduro-ince mentions is steep even by Colorado standards and it is loose. That section is the most difficult. If you clean the section you will tell everyone how easy the trail was but if you drop your bike in that scree you will be hating life. Seen it happen. Poughkeepsie is my favorite trail in that area, up or down. Been known to ride down then turn back around and ride up.

"Competent" is still a subjective term when it comes to riding off road n the Colorado mountains. A 701 can be handled down Poughkeepsie but bottom line is that you need to be able to ride it like a real dirt bike at an advanced level.
    thechief86 likes this.
  5. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Competent absolutely is subjective and I only included it as I didn't want to type out our life stories. My brother in law has never ridden Colorado but is a better rider than I am and has been riding for about 30 years longer than me (I've been in the seat for about 7 years).

I cut my teeth riding in Colorado on a G650GS and brought it plenty of places I had no business doing so, and usually alone. Since then I've pushed myself to learn to ride the 701 as a real dirt bike and definitely won't be sitting down with my feet spread out on either side of the bike.

Long story short, I'm not afraid of a long day on a bike and as long as we have gravity working in our favor I'm confident in our abilities to get the job done. That said, if we get to that section and we're not feeling it, we're both smart enough to turn around and ride a few extra miles.

No matter what we decide when we're looking down on it, I definitely appreciate your advice and it's nice to get a differing opinion (and a warning to exercise caution - something we all need to hear from time to time).
  6. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. AntiSuperEgo

AntiSuperEgo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a trip planned for July.

We were planning on starting in Albuquerque and going north on the NM BDR up to Antonito, CO.

Next we were to join up with the TAT and head west to ride the CO mountain passes.

Now that the San Juan NF is closed I wonder if the passes we planned to ride are inaccessible.

Are all of these passes now off limits?

Ophir
    Cinnamon
    Imogene
    California
    Marshall
    Engineer

Thanks for your input and yes, I am hoping for rain!
  9. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out this. Lots of areas are open including the alpine loop.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/san-juans-silverton-go-enjoy.1320818/
  10. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link.

We are still preparing for the trip and are hoping some rain comes before we have to cancel.
  11. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes let’s hope for rain. We have some coming to the northern and central mtns this weekend, unfortunately they are also calling for thunderstorms.
    Best of luck for your trip. Please stay on the trails, don’t shortcut and remember to buy an OHV sticker.
    Mikemm likes this.
  12. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thechief86, HellSickle and Mikemm like this.
  13. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where does one get an OHRV sticker?

Are they required on street legal, registered dual sport bikes when traveling on dirt roads?
  14. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that they are. I'm not sure if this is a recent law or just one that isn't enforced because I never had one on my GS and have stopped and talked to plenty of rangers without ever being asked about it. Either way, they're cheap and if it helps support the local trails/community I'll happily pay $25 for a weekend's worth of fun.

I know you can buy the stickers online but I'm not sure of a physical location.

https://www.cpwshop.com/privilegepos.page
    8gv likes this.
  15. reddonkey640

reddonkey640 Adventurer

Oddometer:

If you are on a plated bike and it is a marked county road (fire road or any county maintained road) you do not need the sticker to be legal. If you ride on single track or a OHV trail. they are clearly marked. You will need a sticker. But as Zbone said. It's $25 and it supports and helps keep those parks open.
  16. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    No, they are not. Jeeps are not required to get them. If you are on an official OHV or single track trail you should have one. All of my dirt bikes are plated with stickers, but I also ride a lot of trails.
  17. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a OHV sticker thread. Evidently the state of Colorado went with the lowest bidder and the glue does not hold. Everyone recommends taping the sticker on with packing tape.
    The OHV sticker money is used for a good cause in Colorado, trails. While you are at it make a donation to COHVA or TPA to support keeping the trails open.
    ZBone likes this.
  18. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sticker has been ordered.

Thanks for the tape tip.

I don't know if it is needed where I will be riding but $25 for a good cause can't hurt my karma bank balance.

A little more rain please!
  19. ReapTheHeat

ReapTheHeat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got my 2018 OHV permit in the mail
    I think I spent way too much time figuring that sticker out. I was looking for the "regular" sticker for 20 minutes thinking I dropped it. Definitely clean with some alcohol and extra tape!
  20. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on coming from Ohio and ride the easy to-do passes on my DR441 some time during the last half of August. I figure 6-7 days of riding will be enough for one trip. I was hoping that some of my riding buddies from here would go but I haven't had any feedback, yet. I ride slower than most, stop and take a lot of photos. I plan to camp at the KOA in Ouray and use that as my base. I'm hoping to find some like-minded riders to join up with.