Commng up in Sept GREAT LAKES ONT. HELP

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BikePig, Aug 22, 2006.

1. BikePig

BikePig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be going around the great lakes Sept 16 -23 any pointers?
    (3 riders in party 1 GS, 1 KTM, 1 BONNIVILLE)
    I plan on crossing at Niagra and go North up to TOBERMORY take the ferry across and check out the SOUTH BAYMOUTH island then back to the mainland and cross back into the US at ST.SAUTE MARIE (sp?). So where should I camp I know to goto TimHortons and get grub. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED:ear PLEASE PM ME AS WELL I DON'T CHECK THE GREAT WHITE NORTH THAT OFTEN.

Thanks
    maybey if in route we can :freaky
  2. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Don't forget your heated vest, if you're on the north side of the great lakes,
    you'll probably need it!
  3. BikePig

BikePig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is going to be that cold already? what else should I consider?
  4. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    Best to ride the big lakes area in the heat of the summer,and do more southerly rides in the spring and fall.Large banks off fog can develop coming off the lakes during fall,and cause poor vision.Sometimes the fall weather can also be quite spectacular with the leaves changing colour,but the warm fall days bring out the blackflies.
  5. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Your best bet for camping wuld be a provincial park. Theres a ton of them. Not sure of the website, just Google Ontario Provincial Parks, or pick up a map when you cross the border. They are all marked. Since your travelling after labour day you shouldn't have a problem finding a spot. If you plan on moteling it there's no shortage on that route so just stop wherever. Goes without saying but watch out for moose & deer. It will get cool at night and daytime can go either way. No bugs though !

Enjoy.
  6. Dawntreader

Dawntreader Tim Horton's or bust

Oddometer:
    There's lots of camping in tobermory, from there to Soo there are a couple nice turnouts that I've slept at before, one is right near Blind River. Are you camping the whole way? how many clicks a day do you plan? I drove through from Soo to Sud' in July, there's is some construction going on east of Soo. Let me know if you need any more info.
  7. BikePig

BikePig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was planning to camp for the week.(is this not advisable? :ear ) What is a realistic time frame NiagraFalls to Tobermory to catch the Ferry? I was planning on getting to the ferry either Sun or Mon.
  8. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I just reread your original post. If you're not going along the north shore of Superior, you should have no problem camping. Of course, the North
    shore of Superior is the best part of the ride....can you take an extra day?
  9. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    Camping will be fine, just a touch chilly at night, bring fleece and a heated vest and then you'll be set.

Niagara to Tobermory is about 350 to 400 k around 250 miles so it will take you about four to five hours tops if you make your way up via hwy 6. Take the QEW (4 lane slab) to Hamilton then follow 6 through Guelph and onward to Owen Sound and into Tobermory. That's the simple route, take a peek at some maps and vary that route all the way from Niagara to Tobermory and you can small town it and do an overnight somewhere on the way. It's one of those things, just depends on how far north you want to get and how fast.

I did Toronto to tobermory across the ferry and onward to Sault Ste Marie easily on a pouring rainy day a couple years ago and still had time to find a hotel and get a decent steak dinner before dark.

Have fun and pm me if you need more info.

Cheers

Fin
  10. 98rxcmi

98rxcmi Chrome+Paint=Garage bike

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on a similar trip a week or 2 before. I don't know that I will make it to T-bay but I would like to know if there is a place to camp about half way around Superior.
  11. 98rxcmi

98rxcmi Chrome+Paint=Garage bike

Oddometer:
    Hey by the way.. how soon the deer start acting all goofey due to the "rut"
    I don't need Bambie's Dad jumping out in front of me for the whole damn ride due to the fact that his ball sack is so full jizz that tugging on his occular lens... so badly that he couldn't tell a large dog from a doe?
  12. Ontario GS

Ontario GS Budding Adv. Traveler

Oddometer:
    Do the provincial park search, also lots of RV campgrounds along the way. It shouldn't be a problem to camp.

I think the rut is in the late fall, but you could go to the Ministry of Natural Resources site and see the hunting seasons by region, which I believe is right around the rut.