Commuting luggage?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Woodsparrow, Sep 23, 2019.

1. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Topbox, one that will take a helmet. Leave the helmet & gloves in it when you shop, swap for groceries or whatever when you get back.

Has the additional plus that it saves you the effort of raising a digit to salute the guy on the sportsbike you just passed on the motorcycle equivalent of a Winnebago.
    Andylaser, Barnaby'sDad and JeepDawg like this.
  2. rickh123

rickh123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another + for top case. For commuting it is definitely the best tool possible. Perfect size is 46-47l. Just week ago I got Givi Trekker 52l though and seems like it works even better than my previous Kappa 46l. In addition I use Kappa K22 panniers on weekend trips or Wolfman Expedition soft bags when I'm planning some off road riding. I've been using bigger side cases (Givi E360 - 40l each) but only on a week long trips. Go for a top case and you won't be disappointed. Guaranteed.
  3. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a combo that might be a little unusual, a Givi topcase and soft saddle bags (Wolfman Rocky Mountain). It gives me the best of both worlds, for the most part I use the top case which is easy to access, locks, totally weatherproof, and usually big enough. The soft saddlebags collapse and I don't have the huge width of side cases. But when I need a lot of room for more shopping (or 2-up touring, which is what I really bought them for) they are there.
  4. JeepDawg

JeepDawg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top box for me. Side bags usually only when traveling.
    And what PeterW said "Topbox, one that will take a helmet. Leave the helmet & gloves in it when you shop, swap for groceries or whatever when you get back."
    small.jpg
  5. Barnaby'sDad

Barnaby'sDad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup. I just upgraded my storage and added a Givi top box. It beats having to lug my helmet up to the office.

I run the panniers on commutes and longer trips so I can carry everything with me that’s not nailed down, lol.

Outback 42 on top and OE/SW-Motech panniers. I got the net for the top of the Givi (keep small stuff secured in one spot). I’ll get the top net for the panniers at some point.

EDF4BCE3-557B-4A60-BB68-052A4F893A20.jpeg
  6. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah top box reigns supreme for commuting convenience. It ain't pretty but nothing can touch it for utility. Givi make some good ones that are very easy to detach.
    tbirdstud86 likes this.
  7. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I commuted with a large pelican before the ugly givi trekker outback. What I disliked about the pelican: 2 latches vs 1, latches are "harder" to use when cold/gloves than the givi, doesnt easily lock, if locks are used its 2 vs 1 and the locks "flop" around making noise/wear and tear, wasnt as tall/deep. Worked great for my laptop but when I carried my gym clothes, shoes and laptop, I had to jenga it instead of open and throw. That said, I didnt throw away the pelican, its still in the garage for a "someday" use:)
  8. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Givi E55 Maxia topcase, expandable Wolfman or Nelson-Rigg adv tankbag, Green Chile "soft side racks", 3 PacSafe 25L mesh bags, 2 20-25L drybags, and a packable Walmart/Target backpack. Add Wolfman Rollie or Enduro tank panniers or Mountain Sun tank panniers and 2 more PacSafe mesh bags for even more lockable storage.

It can all be locked, and locked to the bike. Stow the side baggage when not needed.
  9. ricerooster

ricerooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Givi Dolimante top case and Wolfman soft sides on mine. I daily 200 miles round trip that includes freeway and lane splitting. I do get paranoid about someone getting inside or ripping the soft case during stops when not around. 20191004_122618.jpg
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Kappa K33 side bags and/or a big top box.

K33 are the narrowest, most aero options for that gen 650. I love mine on my 2012.
    I use a Givi 47l top box.
  11. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Givi sidecases with the toolbox addon. I skimped on the top case and use an already owned duffle bag. I can put heavy items down low. Whatevers left in the duffle. If I tie it down right I can use it as a back rest and sit on it to get rid of leg cramps. Huge bonus on longer trips. I do wonder what I look like though cause I'm practically standing when sitting on the duffle. I doubt the word people would use is comfortable.
  12. dwelds

dwelds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh.. But as far as commuting with them. They work. I can get a couple days food in them. Just a drink from the convenience store will fit in the tool box that never comes off.

Key point, pun intended, they lock. So when I'm in the store or at work there's less to worry about