Commuting: The strange. The Odd. And the FUN

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by DAKEZ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    So, there is no use trying to explain the zipper merge one more time? I swear, its like our office secretary, who is 65 and dumb, has just worn me out, saying over and over " I just don't like those people in the right lane, I think they are very rude "
  2. Kikemon

Kikemon Buffoon Emeritus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's where the monkeys have a leg up on us (aside from females displaying their sexual receptivity, but I digress...): monkeys figure out when something isn't working and move on to plan B a lot faster than many humans. I don't know why we hammer away at things for so long without getting anywhere. I'm as bad about it as anyone.
  3. jollyGreenGiant

jollyGreenGiant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone knows Einstein for his Theory of Relativity and all that but a standout writing of his for me was where he touched on current social aspects of humans, he claims that we are in a "predatory phase", fight or flight, you've got two options in nearly every scenario, choose one. Some obviously choose one over the other more often and it becomes their bias. We need more options. It makes absolute sense, when I think of Buddhism and enlightenment, I think of what Einstein had in mind for a post-predatory state of human existence. Imagine all the people...
    olyridz and Sal Pairadice like this.
  4. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Merging is the only place I'll say 'go with the crowd.' If you're the only one 'doing it right' you probably aren't.

M
  5. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Wow, dude. Great post. +1000
    jollyGreenGiant likes this.
  6. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    That brings back a memory...

There was a snowstorm when I had the Midget. Got the bright idea to drive around Blacksburg and hoon around. You could be going very slowly, but have a ton of sideways sliding. ...till I got to a slight incline out of a neighborhood. Good thing there weren't any cops around!

All wheelspin, no forward movement. :bluduh No matter how many times I 'got a run at it' I wasn't making it up the hill. :nah

Had to get 2 frat boys to stand on the bumperettes to get enough weight on the back end to get up the little hill.

That was the end of the fun and I drove back home.

:ricky

M
    Billy52, TonyKZ1 and davidji like this.
  7. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    ...and flow more people too

Mo bettah than a stop sign or light for moving people down the line.

M
    neanderthal and tlub like this.
  8. palinka

palinka nope

Oddometer:
    On my way home from the office today, I was filtering to the front at a red light. Lady in the left lane must have caught me out of her peripheral vision, and without looking up from her phone darts forward about 10 feet. Our light is still very red, mind you. So I yell at her: "Hey, why don't you put the phone away, sweetheart!".
    She looks back and starts yammering at me about how she only does it at red lights.
    So I ask "Well, how is that working out for you?"
    She starts mumbling something as she rolls her windows up and promptly goes back to messing with her phone. So I give a nice twist of the throttle, and sure enough she lunges forward another 6 feet or so. Our light is still red, and she is now blocking cross traffic from the left. People are not amused, cars are honking at her.
    She sheepishly sat there until our light turned green. I had to give her a nice adv salute as I passed her.
    That bitch will kill someone one day and not even realize it.
  9. XRCA

XRCA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the awareness campaign in LA, but in San Diego they made it abundantly clear that even at a stop to leave the phone TF alone. Then again, there's no enforcement, like ever.
    neanderthal likes this.
  10. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    There is little enforcement of anything other than speed and inspection sticker here. And DWI/ Drugs.
    neanderthal likes this.
  11. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    I drove around blacksburg one snowstorm in my MGB. Made mistake of going to drill field. Amazing how a dude in a convertible draws incoming snowball fire....

That car was great in the snow.
    andykeck and phillyrube like this.
  12. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just last week, some guy whose front end was all smashed up.
    Too busy talking on the phone....while it was totally obvious that talking on the phone was the cause of his front end being smashed up....

some people just do not care
  13. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    There were a few cadets vs everyone else snowball fights over the years I was there.

:thumb

M
  14. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our semi and straight trucks at work have an anti idle function that shuts off the engine after 2 minutes. It gives a warning by flashing the check engine light, and all one needs to do to override the shutdown is blip the throttle.
    On more than one occasion a phone zombie has mistaken that as a sign to go........ Signal still red, traffic still crossing, nose still in their phone they hit the throttle without looking. :fpalm
    CaptCapsize likes this.
  15. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Child of the Magenta Line

Oddometer:
    Saw at least two vehicles sweep over a traffic gore to get right off of the nose of a semi pulling a big tank. Fortunately for them the truck driver seems to have been more or less on top of his game that day. A lot of people seem like they were having serious issues with not going over the right-hand lane divider though. I saw an SUV spend a good while just following the fog-line like a taxiway. The road was fucking straight too. :fpalm
  16. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Both happen when people are looking at their phones. Target fixation is a coping trick for drunks too.
  17. palinka

palinka nope

Oddometer:
    I was heading to the office and lane splitting between the carpool and fast lanes. I caught up to a CHP motorcycle officer who was doing the same as they are usually looking for carpool violators.
    Anyways, he quickly catches up to a guy on a Ninja 250 who was lane splitting ever so slowly, and had ducked into the carpool lane when he saw the cop catching up to him. The cop starts gesticulating to him, looks like he was trying to tell the guy that it's cool to lane split, pointing at the back of his CHP cruiser, telling the guy to follow him. So Ninja guy follows the cop, and I follow them. It was nice getting a police lead as we lane split.
    Thought it was a cool experience to see a Chippy give some pointers to a fellow rider.
  18. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    No cellphones required. I've been in the offending vehicle before and people genuinely do just lack the ability to track in a lane. I've actually had to point out to the driver that they're on the wrong side of the DY before. And as for the traffic gore, people actually complain about how unfair it is that they aren't allowed to drive on it. People do it deliberately and consider doing it to be a sign of some sort of advanced skillset.
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a truck driver I can tell you that no matter how many vehicles In a merge lane I yield to, 2 to 3 sometimes more will cut across the gore point to get ahead of me. The frosting on the cake is how often they will express displeasure I didn't give them more room to cut in from the gore point or even from the the shoulder past it.
    I believe if I just stopped on the freeway and yielded to 1000 vehicles, the moment I started moving again someone would jump in front of me and flip me off for not yielding to them.
  20. Chibiabos

Oddometer:
    If you stopped on the freeway to let 1000 vehicles into your lane then they'd still pile up into a clump at the end of the merge lane and fight each other through it, just to enter the freeway. That' how I imagine the Bay Area at least. Not sure how things work up in Washington.